Help! Powerstroke 7.3 dies while driving - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1994-1997 Ford F-Series with Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2006, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help! Powerstroke 7.3 dies while driving

My 97 Ford F350 powerstroke deisel 7.3 has had a re-occurring problem of dying while I'm driving, primarily when I let off of the gas, I have usually been able to quickly start it up again. This doesnt happen every day, but at least once a week, but yesterday, it died twice, once slowing down for a stop and the other while accellerating up a small hill so I pulled over and tried to restart it, but it would not start. I waited a few minutes and then it started right up. While it is running, it sounds fine, runs smooth, no missing at all, and I have ample power. I have 171,000 miles on the engine. Anybody have any idea what this could be caused by?
Thanks,
Lance
LanceJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2006, 02:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: Help! Powerstroke 7.3 dies while driving

Prolly your cps (cam position sensor)
Stealthhinator dual ipr hpop
H2E
TDP tuning
515hp 1158tq
99.5 psd reg cab 2wd
334hp 740tq
rdrcm #29
"New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed,without any other reason but because they are not already common" John Locke
Truck and misc pics
pwrtrip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2006, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)

do a search on the CPS cam position sensor.

Next time it dies pay attention to the tach. IF the tach is not moving then in is 99.9% prolly a cam sensor. They are easy to replace and can be had for about $100 at your local IH Dealer

(Ford) F6TZ-12K073-A 94-96
(International) 1821720C99

If the tach is moving and it still will not restart, start looking into a faulty ICP injection control pressure sensor. This screw on the valley side of the driver side head up next to the ac compressor. It is a three wire sensor that people often refer to when they are doing a 10k mod. Try unplugging this sensor and see if she will fire. If she does the CEL light will be on and the truck will be in limp mode but it will get ya home.

Hope that helps
Travis
99 F350 ext dually 2crueL (moded somewhat)
86 F250 4x4 - C6 3.55Ls[b]
The Mule 1995 F350 CC - 4x4
95 E350 PSD 190k miles
97 F250 ext lb 160k 4x4
97 FSuperduty Plumbers Truck
93 Ranger (soon to have twinned 4bt)
My Webshots
Moremph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2006, 07:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

dont mess with the ford part go 2 IH and get 1 for a 466 engine its blue in color part# 1807339c92 its different than the ones for the 444 or powerstroke engine but fits and operates better. put this in and be done with cps problems for good.
1994.5 superduty custom ext. cab(via a rear section of a 91 cab) 19' jerrdan rollback wrecker 7.3di 5spd. 5:38 ratio: ford aic, dieselzite air intake, cons performance 3.0 inch downpipe, modded ebpv, bypassed bpv, fpr "bb" mod, 10k&18k switchable mod, dumped the dual mass flywheel setup for a south bend single mass con(o)kit, with a flywheel from a prior luk conversion. everytime something is changed the power comes alive. oh yeah and a blue cps from a international 466 engine got tired of being let down by the stockers.(this one never fails) to be done: idm 140volt mod, AC code injectors, guages, twin sequential turbos.
fastrepoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2006, 07:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
dont mess with the ford part go 2 IH and get 1 for a 466 engine its blue in color part# 1807339c92 its different than the ones for the 444 or powerstroke engine but fits and operates better. <font color="red"> put this in and be done with cps problems for good. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you elaborate just a bit on this, please. I've replace mine, etc., etc., from all of the pointers on this forum -- but I've never read this before.

Thanks.
4" LiftKit/ AirBags/ LineX /SuperChip /HPX /203*f DieselSite.com
BrakeSmart/ I/C /Amsoil 5w-30
Rear Mount ATV BedRack
DslLvrLdy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2006, 05:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

you put in a new cps black or blue you'll think its a power mod. new cps allways seem to make the truck run wicked. that blue or black is just BS. Untill i see someone with numbers on the blue cps i dont beleive it because it didnt seem any diffent then the new black one.
1995 F-250 Regular Cab,4x4 OFF-ROAD, PSD. 3.55's. Canopy, Home Made Ladder Rack. Toyo Siped M-55. 1991 King Pin Dana 60. 35 Spline 4340 Stubs, Warn Premium Hubs. Duel BDS Front Steering Stabilizers, Flopro 3-4" Turbo Back SS Exhaust. 3" Sky RSK, SD V-code. Flip Shackle in rear. Polyurethane almost everywhere. AirdogII 130/75.
Piston_Bully is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2006, 09:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Nit

My Photos: (3)

WAIT, STOP NOW, do not use teh blus one, there was a test on it and what happened is it retarded teh timing 4* and increased the fuel load as well, it si not teh right thing to do.
Sold to JCart , 1997 F250 FireTruck Red,CC SB,auto( Presicion TC, HD-2Tugger),5" exhaust, Swamp 140cc injectors, TWildman 4-pos chip,open air cleaner, I/C w Banks intake, ,AIC,dual electric fans,Sky mfg RSK w/ D60w/ARB locker,she's well taken care of now pictures
2004 Dodge 3500 twin turbo 525hp rocket
Nit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.