High idle winter warm-ups? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1994-1997 Ford F-Series with Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2005, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
High idle winter warm-ups?

I've got a 96 and am interested in a way I can bump the idle up automaticly with remote-start, or a switch before shut-down, so the truck can warm up faster. Looking forward to winter. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Anyone out there done this before?
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2005, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: High idle winter warm-ups?

You can get a program like a 4 position chip for your truck, and have a 1 of the 4 programs be High idle.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Post deleted by JLester

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2005, 08:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mine high idles at like 950-1000. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

<font color="red">7.3 POWERSTROKE DIESEL</font> F-250 Flatbed 4x4 -- full info and pics inside
<font color="black">DOB 6/10/1996</font>
<font color="red">bdp</font> <font color="#8B7162">Stage I injectors and custom programs</font>
<font color="orange">SBC</font> <font color="#8B7162">Con OFE</font>
<font color="green">2002</font> <font color="#8B7162">SD HPOP</font>

285HP

Live in SoCal? Check out SoCAPS! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
ryanPSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2005, 08:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

I saw plans for a way to tap into the Throttle Position Sensor
and add a potentiometer so you can adjust the idle up...

try doing a search, or maybe someone will come along with the plans..
1997 F350 CC 4x4 Auto

a little over 400 at the rear wheels
thanks to Wildman, Bean, Cass, Luke and Visa

www.northtexaspowerstrokes.com

Truck Pictures

Truck Movies
Rtxcoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2005, 08:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Post deleted by JLester

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2005, 08:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
i wish ford would have done the high idle like international did it.on the international trucks you turn the cruise control on and raise the idle to where you want and press the set button.you can also hold the set/accel button and it will riasethe idle till you let go of the button and it will hold that RPM

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that would be cool! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2005, 08:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

I found it, was over on Baz's website:

Auxiliary Idle Controller
AIC MOD
by Sparky
Ok to start off with you will have to go to Radio Shack or similar store and get some parts.

Single Pole Single Throw Switch. Radio Shack pt# 275-612
5K Linear Taper Potentiometer. Radio Shack pt# 271-1714
Linear PART # for the 2K is Radio Shack pt# 900-8587
2 Single Pole Double Throw Auto Relays Radio Shack pt# 900-2391
2 Wiring Harness Plugs Radio Shack pt# 900-2396
18 Gauge Wire
SOLDER
Wire Ties
Butt Connectors
Soldering Gun
Safety Glasses

STEP 1 Switches
Find a power source that is with the key.
Run a wire from there to one side of the switch.
From the other side of the switch run a wire to the coil terminal of both relays
From the other side coil terminals on the relays run a wire to the parking break switch wire. (There is only one wire on the parking brake.)

STEP 2 Idle Validation Switch (IVS)
As you look at the throttle pedal you will see a switch on the left side with 2 wires going to it. The wires are taped together carefully un-tape them so you can work with the wires. I used a razor knife to cut the tape, but be careful not to cut the wires. (There should be a red/orange with and a brown wire, unless they changed the color code of these wires.)

Cut the red/orange wire leaving plenty on the switch side so that you can splice onto it. The red/orange wire that is going into the wire bundle needs to get hooked to the common side of one of the relays.

The other red/orange (the one attached to the IVS) goes to the NORMALLY CLOSED CONTACT (NC) of the relay. Now take a wire from the NORMALLY OPEN CONTACT (NO) and run it over to the brown wire by the IVS, you will just tap onto this wire so you dont need to cut it. Just take some of the insulation off and solder it on, then tape her back up.

STEP 3 The other Relay and the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is located on top of the pedal and has 3 wires going to it. Remove the tape to expose the wires. (There should be a brown/white wire and a gray/white wire.)

Cut the brown/white wire, leaving enough to work with by the switch. Hook the end up that goes back into the wire bundle to the common side of the other relay.

Take the side that goes to the switch and hook it to the NORMALLY CLOSED CONTACT (NC) of the relay.

Take a wire from the NORMALLY OPEN CONTACT (NO) of the relay and go to the left terminal on the POT.

Now take a wire from the center terminal of the POT and tap it into the gray/white wire.

Tape up all the bare wires and enjoy
1997 F350 CC 4x4 Auto

Truck Pictures

Truck Movies
Old 09-19-2005, 08:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

I found this:

Auxiliary Idle Controller
AIC MOD
by Sparky
Ok to start off with you will have to go to Radio Shack or similar store and get some parts.

Single Pole Single Throw Switch. Radio Shack pt# 275-612
5K Linear Taper Potentiometer. Radio Shack pt# 271-1714
Linear PART # for the 2K is Radio Shack pt# 900-8587
2 Single Pole Double Throw Auto Relays Radio Shack pt# 900-2391
2 Wiring Harness Plugs Radio Shack pt# 900-2396
18 Gauge Wire
SOLDER
Wire Ties
Butt Connectors
Soldering Gun
Safety Glasses

STEP 1 Switches
Find a power source that is with the key.
Run a wire from there to one side of the switch.
From the other side of the switch run a wire to the coil terminal of both relays
From the other side coil terminals on the relays run a wire to the parking break switch wire. (There is only one wire on the parking brake.)

STEP 2 Idle Validation Switch (IVS)
As you look at the throttle pedal you will see a switch on the left side with 2 wires going to it. The wires are taped together carefully un-tape them so you can work with the wires. I used a razor knife to cut the tape, but be careful not to cut the wires. (There should be a red/orange with and a brown wire, unless they changed the color code of these wires.)

Cut the red/orange wire leaving plenty on the switch side so that you can splice onto it. The red/orange wire that is going into the wire bundle needs to get hooked to the common side of one of the relays.

The other red/orange (the one attached to the IVS) goes to the NORMALLY CLOSED CONTACT (NC) of the relay. Now take a wire from the NORMALLY OPEN CONTACT (NO) and run it over to the brown wire by the IVS, you will just tap onto this wire so you dont need to cut it. Just take some of the insulation off and solder it on, then tape her back up.

STEP 3 The other Relay and the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is located on top of the pedal and has 3 wires going to it. Remove the tape to expose the wires. (There should be a brown/white wire and a gray/white wire.)

Cut the brown/white wire, leaving enough to work with by the switch. Hook the end up that goes back into the wire bundle to the common side of the other relay.

Take the side that goes to the switch and hook it to the NORMALLY CLOSED CONTACT (NC) of the relay.

Take a wire from the NORMALLY OPEN CONTACT (NO) of the relay and go to the left terminal on the POT.

Now take a wire from the center terminal of the POT and tap it into the gray/white wire.

Tape up all the bare wires and enjoy

Not quite sure if this will do what I want it to do. Any quess?
Old 09-20-2005, 12:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have this mod. It has worked for me for about 3 years. Just remember to turn it off when you are done or you have a hard time starting the engine next time. I've had my truck idle for over three days with this mod (-40F) with no problems. Also does not interfere with a chip, or at least mine. At must if temps get below -5F to prevent carbon build up and oil wash.

Pierre
'95 F250, 4x4, Open Air Element, Wildman 6-pos custom chip (PCM TEE5), shimmed fuel regulator, ceramic coated 3" DP, removed EBPV, isspro gauges, E40D, 4:10 rear end, Tymar HPX, 4" catless exhaust, turbo boost relief valve, 203 T-Stat, Magnafine tranny filter, Tru-Cool 4590, js idm mod, 175k, DIY Idle controller, Baby Swamps
snowplus_rmk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2005, 09:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

3 Days!!! Holly shnikeees! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2005, 10:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

wow 3 days is a long time, ive left mine running all day before but dang! Any idea how much fuel it burns while idling 3 days? or maybe how many hrs / gal of fuel consuption?

later,luke
lukecline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2005, 12:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I've had my truck idle for over three days with this mod (-40F) with no problems.

Pierre

[/ QUOTE ]

thats gotta be some kind of record....Glad I live in the south...-40 would really pizz me off in the morning!

my coffee would freeze!
1997 F350 CC 4x4 Auto

Truck Pictures

Truck Movies
Old 09-21-2005, 06:04 AM   #14 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've had my truck idle for over three days with this mod (-40F) with no problems.

Pierre

[/ QUOTE ]

thats gotta be some kind of record....Glad I live in the south...-40 would really pizz me off in the morning!

my coffee would freeze!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll bet there are some of them oil companies up there that never shut them off in the winter
Old 09-21-2005, 09:37 AM   #15 (permalink)

Yep you guys are correct, trucks on the slope can idle for days. I burned almost 1.5 tanks of fuel in that three days at 1300-1400rpm. Then drove it hard up a hill in 2nd @3000rpm to blow the crud out. I wish it were only my coffee that froze [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. I also used a very good fuel conditioner (Stanedyne, Diesel Power or such)

Pierre
'95 F250, 4x4, Open Air Element, Wildman 6-pos custom chip (PCM TEE5), shimmed fuel regulator, ceramic coated 3" DP, removed EBPV, isspro gauges, E40D, 4:10 rear end, Tymar HPX, 4" catless exhaust, turbo boost relief valve, 203 T-Stat, Magnafine tranny filter, Tru-Cool 4590, js idm mod, 175k, DIY Idle controller, Baby Swamps
snowplus_rmk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.