How hard would it be to change gears in a Dana 60? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1994-1997 Ford F-Series with Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2005, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (39)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How hard would it be to change gears in a Dana 60?

Guys how hard is it to change a Dana 60 Front from 3:55 gears to 4:10? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

Houston Area Powerstrokes

I have a VERY bad case of DIESEL-I-TITS!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
<font color="blue">My 1995 250 S/C LWB PSD <font color="red">4x4</font></font>, SWAMPS Babies[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img], 6pos. Flip Chip by twildman, Isspro gauges, Hypermax DP & twin 5" stacks, TYMAR intake & HX hose, On Board Air, 4" Superlift [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], 35" A/T's, 5spd. w/Luk, 4:10's, Window guards,Carr steps [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], Pioneer Cd player, APC clear corners cab lights & side markers and headlights,Ranch Hand Grill Guard & rear bumper, AC mod
<font color="red">Tri-Community Volunteer Fireman </font>
BigStroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2005, 01:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Re: How hard would it be to change gears in a Dana 60?

I think it is about the same as the rear. Which I will be doing in a couple of weeks by adding 410's. If that is keeping you Paul, then let me know where it is and I will go and get it... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. You could always just take off the front drive shaft until you have the gears and money for someone to do it. If you have no experience then I think you would want someone to do it that has some. It is an artform from what I hear. I have an old school gearhead in my Pops so he will assist me while I do the work.

ART [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

SOLD 1996 F250 CC 4X4- Stage 1, Tymar, 4" exhaust, BDP chip...etc.
agsF2501 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2005, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

wouldnt be that hard, just like setting up gears in anything else im sure. Just gotta make sure that you check the gaps! Change your rear to 3.55 the youll get real good fuel milage!! haha
1956 F-250 Project Stroke

1996 F-250 Powerstoke Diesel XLT,
open element air filter, H2E turbo, Custom Tranny, 6.0 Charge air cooler, Swamp 175/173 squirts, TW Chip and some other neat stuff.

1999 F-450 4x4 11ft flatbed, soon to have a 6k crane for my mechanic jobs. Bone stock.

2002 F-150 Supercrew daily commuter

WEBSHOTS--&gt;http://community.webshots.com/user/dieselwiezil
--&gt;http://houstonareapowerstrokes.com
DieselWiezil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2005, 02:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (39)

[ QUOTE ]
Change your rear to 3.55 the youll get real good fuel milage!! haha

[/ QUOTE ]Not with 35's [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] or 37's [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Houston Area Powerstrokes

I have a VERY bad case of DIESEL-I-TITS!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
<font color="blue">My 1995 250 S/C LWB PSD <font color="red">4x4</font></font>, SWAMPS Babies[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img], 6pos. Flip Chip by twildman, Isspro gauges, Hypermax DP & twin 5" stacks, TYMAR intake & HX hose, On Board Air, 4" Superlift [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], 35" A/T's, 5spd. w/Luk, 4:10's, Window guards,Carr steps [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], Pioneer Cd player, APC clear corners cab lights & side markers and headlights,Ranch Hand Grill Guard & rear bumper, AC mod
<font color="red">Tri-Community Volunteer Fireman </font>
BigStroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2005, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)

Well you start by:
-Removing the tires
-Take the hubs apart
-Hang the brake caliper away
-Take the hub and disc off
-Seperate the spindle from the knuckle
-Remove steering rods away from front of D60 cover
-Open the D60 cover and drain the fluid
-Slide the axles out
-Take the carrier bearing caps off
-Take the carrier/ring gear out
-Remove the front drive shaft
-Remove the Pinion nut
-Knock the pinion shaft in

Now you have a stripped D60 housing. Don't loose any of the shims. There is set of shims on the pinion shaft and another set behind the inner pinion race.

Now comes the fun part. Do you install new axles, new seals, new bearings/races, locker/limited slip, etc. Change ball joints (your already there, whether you need to or not, they'll probably go when you put everything back together) Only your $$$$ flow will decide that. I would definitely install new seals. Dana/Spicer came out with new axle seals, awesome looking, the sealing surface is approximately 1.5" wide and double sealing area in the housing.

And when you assembling everything that could be exposed to the weather- ANTI-SIEZE

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com
'97 Black F250HD,XLT, SC, LB, 4x4, D66, Punisher Trans with Precision Converter, Dana 60, 3.55LS, built 12/97, 3"-4" DP, Bilstein 5125s, VDO EGT, Trans Temp, and Boost gauges, Hellwig rear swaybar, CA fuel regulator, 4" Exhaust-Straight piped,FORD AIC, welded EBPV, B&M Transpan,, Joe Servo IDM, MAP sensor mod, RSK w/ "V" & "F" code SD springs, Hydroboost conversion, replacement 38 gal rear tank, Swamp's Baby Hybrids, Jonathan Jones Tunes, CJC Traction blocks, 227K
gnxtc2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2005, 08:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)

I wish I would've known about those new seals, they sound alot better than the ford ones. I just got done buttoning everything up after replacing my axle oil seals with the ones from ford.

Bigstroker, I've never set up a ring and pinion but with it being the front axle I personally would probably go ahead and try it myself because if you notice any humming or grinding after you do it you can just use 2wd and still drive it till you can afford to let someone else do it.
But thats just my $.02 and I've always wanted to try this procedure anyways.

'95 F350 PSD CC SRW 4x4 4.10s 5spd LUK clutch, hypermax dp 4in exhaust, tymar, 340K miles
TexTon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2005, 09:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 3 reviews

whatchs doin with the 3.55's I need a front set.
will trade rear 4.10 for a set of front 3.55's.
I have front 4.10's but I think they will be shot due to the pionion bearings being bad.
and I have the rear 3.55's just need the front to convert .
Nick
Dads ride 2002 Dodge 24v, dual exhaust, edge comp hot box. tst 40 hp injectors,Piers B-1 turbo dipricol white face a pillar gauges, Suncoast triple disc and valve body occasionally he lets me drive it. 393 rwhp, 807 ftlbs
1996 F-350 CC swr, long bed , 4x4 PSD zf-5, 260k.Swamped, 5" black stacks, dipricol gauges, 30+PSI boost, DP tuner chip, 349rwhp.
95 PSD project fixes it up and then sold it
03 7.3 4R100 4x2(for now) 240k stock cept for duals 20th aniversary edition.
early 99 CC Dually,
finallygotanIDI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2005, 11:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

I would highly recommend reading this link first. http://www.ringpinion.com/downloads/yukoninstman.pdf

Bearing preloads are critical and require an inch pound torque wrench.

Backlash is also critical and requires a dial indicator and stand.

You can have all of your settings but one correct, make an adjustment to correct the one that's off, and move everything else as a result. Unless you are very patient and willing to press bearings on and off several times you're better off having it done at a shop. Every gearset is different as far as pinion depth and pattern, so it isn't a matter of unbolting the old and bolting the new back in.
Snowtow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.