How many amps does the starter draw? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1994-1997 Ford F-Series with Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How many amps does the starter draw?

I want to put a disconnect switch in the hot wire from the battery to the starter (actually the solenoid mounted on the starter) I once had a starter hang...the solenoid stuck in the on position and I had to scramble to get the batts unhooked before the starter caught fire. It was close...still smoking after 5 minutes. Anyway, ever since then I have wanted to put a disconnect switch on it, for emergencies, anti-theft, etc. I just need to know the amp draw before I buy one.
Thanks,
Jerry
Black 2010 Ford F250 XLT Crewcab Longbed 4x4 6.8L V10. Special Ordered. 295/70r18 Nitto Terra Grapplers on black powdercoated stock wheels, Harley Davidson Edition headlights. FX4 Grille. Recon smoked cab lights and mirror lenses. Factory bumpers and nerf bars have been powdercoated black.Husky Mudflaps,custom black 4" exhaust, AirAid intake, X3 tuner from 5 Star Tuning, AutoVentShade door sill protectors. Soon will black out the badges.
Jerry Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2008, 11:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
From Alldata:
Quote:
Current Draw Under Normal Load 230-630 Amps
Max. Load 2400 Amps
No Load 170 Amps Max.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you very much. I had no idea it would be in the 600's. The highest I can find is a 500amp switch. Looks like I better keep looking.
Jerry
Black 2010 Ford F250 XLT Crewcab Longbed 4x4 6.8L V10. Special Ordered. 295/70r18 Nitto Terra Grapplers on black powdercoated stock wheels, Harley Davidson Edition headlights. FX4 Grille. Recon smoked cab lights and mirror lenses. Factory bumpers and nerf bars have been powdercoated black.Husky Mudflaps,custom black 4" exhaust, AirAid intake, X3 tuner from 5 Star Tuning, AutoVentShade door sill protectors. Soon will black out the badges.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
BKB

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
450-475 amps is what i used to measure
Old 09-15-2008, 08:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
450-475 amps is what i used to measure
Thanks for the info. When you measured this, what was the conditions? Cold/Warm engine, outside air temp, weight of oil in crankcase?
Thanks,
Jerry
Old 09-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Jerry,
You will be fine using the 500 amp variety. It is plenty large enough. Disconnect switches are rated in the amount of current they can switch under load. When you use this switch it will normally not have a load on it.
2011 F350 CC Lariat 6.7 4x4 Tuxedo Black Loaded* ICON 4.5 inch Stage II with 4 link and Deaver Mini-Paks * OUO 5" Traction Blocks & Bars * 20" BMF Novakanes with 37x12.50x20 Nitto Trails * ICON Dual Steering Stabilizer * RECON Projectors, Mirror, 3rd brake, Cab,and Tailights * Pace Edwards Bedlocker * EPIC Door Seal Mods * AMP Research Steps * http://community.webshots.com/user/ammayernick
ammayernick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2008, 03:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
BKB

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Miller View Post
Thanks for the info. When you measured this, what was the conditions? Cold/Warm engine, outside air temp, weight of oil in crankcase?
Thanks,
Jerry
I serviced a fleet of school busses for 3 years. That is the current draw a saw summer/winter, warm oil, cold oil, ford starters, reman starters. If we started to see something around 600 we would replace them. This was using a AutoMeter roll around tester with clamp on current probe.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I'll pick up the 500 amp unit.
Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.