Leaf spring bushings - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1994-1997 Ford F-Series with Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2006, 09:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Leaf spring bushings

Any body have any tips on how to get the front leaf spring bushings out?I had been beating on it for about 2 hours tonight and cant get it to budge.Also whats a good replacement for them and where to get?Thanks

97 F-350 XLT 4X4 7.3 PSD,99K AUTO ,REG CAB,GREEN,NOT STOCK

96 F-250 XLT 4X4 7.3 PSD 220K AUTO REG CAB,BLACK,BONE STOCK EXCEPT FOR A NEW CAR SCENT AIR FRESHENER.

http://community.webshots.com/user/Dzlpwr

diesel97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2006, 11:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: Leaf spring bushings

PB BLASTER !Try drilling around the bushing then beat somemore I used that method then beat on it with an air chisel !! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Kenworth T-600 aerodyne 3406c CAT, with 18* "B" modle injection pump(was a freakin peak yuk),10 over trans,4.10 rears,Dual 150 gal. fuel tanks,Budwieser inspired custom hot rod flames.Going to work real soon Leasing to Landstar yeah!

89 mustang coupe single turbo 302 ,built c-4,running little rubber.

I hate Dodges, straight piped common rail cummings sound like crap!
Aljay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2006, 11:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

tip I learned from a puerto rican named Enrique
take your drill and a drill bit and drill into
the bushing outer edge, let the drill work its
way round and round and in no time it will roll
right out. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
Evans NPG coolant.
AMSOIL ATF in the transmission, AMSOIL gear oil in the diff.
20MPG city 25/28 hwy
IDIABUSE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2006, 11:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

take a medium size screw driver and pound the blade in between the end of the spring where it wraps around the bushing, to open up the eye. then w/ the bushing facing up, put a 3/8" dril bit into your drill (strong drill i hope), and drill into the bushing. at the edge of the rubber and the metal outer sleeve, start working it back and forth. after a short while when the drill starts to loosen up the drill will catch between the rubber bushing and the steel outer sleeve and start moving its way around the bushing. after a couple of times around you will notice the rubber part working its way up, out of the sleeve. keep the drill going around untill the rubber part is out. then take an airchisel or BFH and chisel and work around the sleeve and drive it out of the eye of the spring. is easier than it sounds. i have no pics, but its real easy.
gw66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2006, 05:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)

I pressed mine out, no beating, drilling, BFH, sweating. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Replaced them with urethane bushings from Energy Suspension.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com
'97 Black F250HD,XLT, SC, LB, 4x4, D66, Punisher Trans with Precision Converter, Dana 60, 3.55LS, built 12/97, 3"-4" DP, Bilstein 5125s, VDO EGT, Trans Temp, and Boost gauges, Hellwig rear swaybar, CA fuel regulator, 4" Exhaust-Straight piped,FORD AIC, welded EBPV, B&M Transpan,, Joe Servo IDM, MAP sensor mod, RSK w/ "V" & "F" code SD springs, Hydroboost conversion, replacement 38 gal rear tank, Swamp's Baby Hybrids, Jonathan Jones Tunes, CJC Traction blocks, 227K
gnxtc2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2006, 02:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Allthread, various sockets, washers etc. Then deep socket on impact. Pulled them out no beating! If you want squeek free poly bushings, clean up the spring eyes, insides of the hangars and shackles etc. All smooth no rust etc + plenty silicone lube = no squeeks.
Mine: 91 F250 Reg Cab 4x4 5spd 7.3IDI 4.10LS 145,000 miles. Banks Sidewinder 92 D60 F axle w 97 brakes and Powerlock. Lift: about 4" over stock 250. 33x12.50x16.5 Pro Comp MTs Magnaflow 12" muffler. Sees dirt everyday. Used to haul hay, wood, feed cows, check fence.
Hers: 96F250 CCSB 7.3 PSD 4x4 5spd 3.55 LS 190,000 miles. Puchased 7/03, Looked for a 5spd CCSB for a year!Dana 60 front axle, at stock F350 height (for now) Energy Poly bushings, Bilsteins, 305/70/16 Pro Comps on 16x10 Weld Outbacks, AFE Pro7,TYMAR 3x3.5x4 downpipe,TYMAR 5" straightpipe, gutted EBV, IH Non EBV pedistal,New Alliant AC Injectors,(stage 1)Cal reg kit, SBC Con O clutch, permenent clutch bushing fix, AC mod with a different twist, AMP Powersteps with custom brackets and wiring(one of 2 OBS trucks with them according to AMP) Line of Fire. Sees dirt everyday.
My Company pickup: 86 F250 6.9 C6 320,000 miles Co trucks 5 89 to 94 IDI's, plus about 50 more diesels.
Diesel Mechanic 34 yrs Maintenece Manager 23 yrs
Garbage_Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2006, 07:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I ended out buring the center out with a torch and picking at them with a screw driver.I ordered a bushing set of Energy Suspension bushing that should be here tommorrow.Thanks for the help guys. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

97 F-350 XLT 4X4 7.3 PSD,99K AUTO ,REG CAB,GREEN,NOT STOCK

96 F-250 XLT 4X4 7.3 PSD 220K AUTO REG CAB,BLACK,BONE STOCK EXCEPT FOR A NEW CAR SCENT AIR FRESHENER.

http://community.webshots.com/user/Dzlpwr

diesel97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2006, 11:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

what did you guys do to get the shackle to line up with the leafe spring to put it all together? I had a ton of trouble with that when I did mine. Also how did you get the spring to spread enough to get the shackle out? I got mine, but it was a pain.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)

i pressed my fronts out but the backs kept trying to lay over on there side. so i took them home and the center smaller steel sleeves met my bottle torch. the rubber all melted around from the sleeve and dripped out. it wouldnt work when i tried to melt the actual rubber. but ifyou get that sleeve hot the boltgoes through its a breeze. then the only thing left is the outer sleeve. an air chisel works great. or a sawzall. dont go to deep or you will get into the spring eye. then beatit out. very easy this way. do outside and not over anything you want that rubber dripping on.

GAUGES, INTAKE, EXHUAST, SBC CLUTCH, CHIP, BDP INJECTORS, BILSTEINS, BUSHINGS...AND A WHOLE LOT MORE..

pics

B99 BIO DIESEL SUPPORTING AMERICAS FARMERS.

US NAVY

looking for an ext cab 4x4 short bed DURAMAX!!! keeping the obs of course.
1997PSD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.