Oversized tires and a pickup camper - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1994-1997 Ford F-Series with Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2008, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oversized tires and a pickup camper

It is soon time for new tires now that I got new injector in and the truck is running again. The question is what size? You know, I want every thing, as big as possible with out rubbing or too much of a compromise in pulling power. When loaded it will have a 10 foot slide in camper and single axel (3000 lbs gvw) trailer loaded with two atvs and camping and riding gear.

My signature states I have 1.5 inch add a-leaf, this brings me up to stock height. Even with the extra springs, I have the lowest F-250 4x4 I have ever seen. How big of tire can I put under the truck, if I cut the front bumper?

A call to one of the tire dealers here in Fargo told me that 265/75r16 is as large as I can go in a load range E. Then he said the 285 will carry the same load but is only an 8 ply tire. doesn't sound right to me. I think I want a 10 ply tire if I am carrying a camper in the bed. Is there a tire bigger than 265/75 R 16 with load range E?

I love my 4:10 gears. I can pull a mountain if I had to. In fact I have pulled loads as heavy as 30,000 lb. I am not going to be doing that anymore, but I dont want to loss all my pulling power and re-gearing is now an option (to much $$$) What tire on my truck would be equivalent to stock tires on a truck geared with 3:55?

The tires I have considered are Goodyear MT, BFG AT, and Michelin LTX M/S.
'95 F250 PSD, 350,000 miles, 4x4, XLT, Supper Cab, long box, E4OD by BTS & B&M tranny cooler, 4:10, add a leaf front/1.5" rearched spings rear, Hypermax DP, tymark intake. Cobra Nightstalker 29 CB mounted inplace of the ashtray, Tekonsha Prodigy, Nippen Dennso gear reduction starter (this thing is awsome). Pulling a 37 bumper hitch toy hauler. New injectors @ 335,000 Best mod: the U.S. flag in the back window done pre 9/11.

User name- Studhauler, given to me becasue my dog Studly (R.I.P. Jan/09) was always riding in the box.

truck pics

Patriot Guard Riders
studhauler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2008, 01:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)
The biggest load range E tire out there is BFG all Terrain. They make it in a D and E.

That being said I was running BFG 315's with no lift. The max load on them was 3300lbs which was more than the 285 and stock 235.

With my 315's I carried a 3800lb camper. Never had any problems.
1996 F-250 extended cab long box five speed. Home made Tymar, 203 Stat, 60 gal in bed fuel cell, 315/75's, no muffler, ebpv welded open 3" to 3" DP, Babies. 290K, still chugging, and still smoking when cold.

UPDATED 1/1/09 Replace so far. 1 LUK flywheel+clutch, 2 thermostats, 2 set of brakes, 1 set of calipers, 5 CPS, 3 sets of tires, 2 Transfer pumps, 1 Injector modual, 1 Computer, 2 Alt, 2 sets of batteries, 1 Water pump, 6 Belts, 1 PS hose, 2 Sets ball joints, 2 set u-joints, 2 carrier bearing, 2 Speed sensors, 1 oil pres sender, 1 temp sender, 4 sets of e-break cables, 1 front fuel tank, 2 rear fuel tanks, 2 set of glow plugs, 7 Glow plug relays, Oil galley o-rings, Turbo pedistal o-rings, EBPV o-rings, 3 sets of Injector O-rings, 1 Vac-pump, 1 new carpet, 1 total paint job.Total $$$ in repairs v/s miles driven = 4.6 cents per mile. Add fuel to that it jumps to 16.5 cents per mile over the life of the truck.
MarkEkberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2008, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by studhauler View Post
Is there a tire bigger than 265/75 R 16 with load range E?
I have E rated Toyo Open Country MT 315/75R16 rated at 3,860@65. They pack my camper just fine. With the camper empty I am 4,700 on the front and 5,800 on the rear. Add gear, water, food, diesel and it is around 5,000/6,800. With 11,800 sitting on 35" tires there is a bit of lean and roll but not enough to worry about.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Did not know there is a 315 E tire.

Thanks a bunch.
1996 F-250 extended cab long box five speed. Home made Tymar, 203 Stat, 60 gal in bed fuel cell, 315/75's, no muffler, ebpv welded open 3" to 3" DP, Babies. 290K, still chugging, and still smoking when cold.

UPDATED 1/1/09 Replace so far. 1 LUK flywheel+clutch, 2 thermostats, 2 set of brakes, 1 set of calipers, 5 CPS, 3 sets of tires, 2 Transfer pumps, 1 Injector modual, 1 Computer, 2 Alt, 2 sets of batteries, 1 Water pump, 6 Belts, 1 PS hose, 2 Sets ball joints, 2 set u-joints, 2 carrier bearing, 2 Speed sensors, 1 oil pres sender, 1 temp sender, 4 sets of e-break cables, 1 front fuel tank, 2 rear fuel tanks, 2 set of glow plugs, 7 Glow plug relays, Oil galley o-rings, Turbo pedistal o-rings, EBPV o-rings, 3 sets of Injector O-rings, 1 Vac-pump, 1 new carpet, 1 total paint job.Total $$$ in repairs v/s miles driven = 4.6 cents per mile. Add fuel to that it jumps to 16.5 cents per mile over the life of the truck.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Thanks Crumm, The Toyo's look great on your truck, they will look good on mine also. How are they for traciton in the snow?
'95 F250 PSD, 350,000 miles, 4x4, XLT, Supper Cab, long box, E4OD by BTS & B&M tranny cooler, 4:10, add a leaf front/1.5" rearched spings rear, Hypermax DP, tymark intake. Cobra Nightstalker 29 CB mounted inplace of the ashtray, Tekonsha Prodigy, Nippen Dennso gear reduction starter (this thing is awsome). Pulling a 37 bumper hitch toy hauler. New injectors @ 335,000 Best mod: the U.S. flag in the back window done pre 9/11.

User name- Studhauler, given to me becasue my dog Studly (R.I.P. Jan/09) was always riding in the box.

truck pics

Patriot Guard Riders
studhauler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2008, 07:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by studhauler View Post
How are they for traction in the snow?
Excellent. I have ran many different tread designs from BFG to Cooper to GoodYear and I can say that these hook up on snow and ice better than any others I have ran. Looking at the tread you would not think that they would do good on ice but they do. They are also very quiet for a MT and are wearing very well. My next set will be another set of these.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
You don't have problems with the tire being too wide in the snow? Most people around here run pizza cutters in the winter because they seem to think they have better traction. I currently have 285 toyo AT for winter and they go good. My next tire definitely will be the MT but I don't know what size especially for the ice and snow

Volunteer FireFighter for 7 years

Farmer my whole life

Hers: 01 F-350 PSD, Reg cab, dark green, 2" front leveling kit, Wildman chip, Open intake, pyro and boost gauge, rolling on 315/75-16 BFG All Terrains
Fisher MM2 8'

FIL: 03 Excursion Limited, 6.0, 260 000kms, Banks monster exhaust, pyro and boost gauges. New head gaskets at 200,000kms, Arnott Air Bags

Other Toys: 2001 Mustang Bullitt Highland Green
2007 Mustang Cobra GT500 Red w/ white stripes
rickygasser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2008, 01:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickygasser View Post
You don't have problems with the tire being too wide in the snow? Most people around here run pizza cutters in the winter because they seem to think they have better traction.
I have always felt that way too and have run 255/85R16's in the past for the tall/narrow stance. I think the Toyo M/T would be a excellent tire in the 255 size but they don't come in that size. The Coopers I had in the 315/75R16 did not do too well on ice/snow due to the wide footprint. I think the Toyo M/T has such a good compound and tread design that they overcome the drawbacks of a wide footprint so to answer your question, no I don't have problems with the Toyo M/T being to wide in the snow they hook up good. I would like a 35" tire in about a 10.5 width but they don't make them so I settle for the 12.50.

About the only complaint I have with the Toyo is when the temp drops to -35 or colder they freeze up like a bias tire when they sit. It only takes about a mile to get them loosened up but the ride for that first mile is like riding on square wheels. I am guessing it is due to there heavy casing and the low pressures I run in them. My old Coopers did not freeze square like that with low pressure but I think with there thin construction they just flexed more. It takes a heavy sidewall to get a 35" tire rated at 3,860#.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

weird

Just found this exactly same tire size but in Standard vs Metric and the load rating goes up over 4o80lbs per tire. Extra 220 lbs ,strange....

Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain
2001 F-250 Lariat Crew SB SRW 7.3 PSD.(Canoa Plant Brazil) White. 4" lift Rolls on 35" Coopers.K&n-full kit.Autometer Triple Gauge Pod.Mag Hytec Trans Pan.SCT 80hp .4" Magnaflow.30K goose.Warn hubs.Foil Delete Mod.-(Was just like skinnin' a rabbit), whistles like a Peterbilt!
coplin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2009, 04:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

That is for a 17" rim................................

Old 05-29-2009, 12:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

How big of tire can I put under the truck, if I cut the front bumper?
You can cut the bumper a lot or just space it outwards. For my 35 tires I am going to space it out 1.5 using 2x1.5 steel tube stock. You can use a pile of washers but I think 1.5 is too much for washers. This is all I need to fit the 35s in the front (96 F250 4x4). There rear is not an issue.

What tire on my truck would be equivalent to stock tires on a truck geared with 3:55?
Stock 235/85/16 at 65 MPH ~ 1900 RPM
315/75/16 (35) at 65 MPH ~ 2000 RPM
dzford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.