Toggle Switch Glow Plug Users? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1994-1997 Ford F-Series with Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2009, 07:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
MAILMANWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 34
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Toggle Switch Glow Plug Users?

my question is for all of you that have done the manual glow plug switchover, How long do you flip the switch for? count to ten, twenty maybe thirty?
Also, how long wil the glow plugs stay cycled for? Ive heard they will shut off automatically at 2 minutes... is this correct?
the reason im asking is, for the first time when i went to start my truck, she didnt fire.. its 37degrees here and she hasnt been ran all day.. wasnt plugged in.. i counted to about 8 and no start... waited a sec, hit the switch again and counted to 15 and she fired up fine with a big belch of white smoke.... shes idle'n now for about 10 mins or so....
thanks
MAILMANWV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-26-2009, 08:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Scottville, MI USA
Posts: 954
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
there are two small wires that go to the glow plug relay, one of the wires simply goes to ground so what i did was put a toggle switch in-line with that small wire. when i have the toggle switch on, the glow plugs work as they should and when i turn it off, the glow plugs don't come on at all, that way i don't have to think about how long i want to run glow plugs for when i need them. i've been using this set-up for a couple years and have not had a problem with it yet. running as they should, the glow plugs will run for about 2 minutes even after the WTS light goes out.
__________________
'94 F250xlt ext. cab. ZF5-speed 4x4. EBPV delete. DPP downpipe. Tymar intake. Tymar coolant filter. Type 31 batteries. LF9691 primary filter. Electric fans. 10k mod. 1.0 turbo housing. Boost blanket. Over-axle exhaust eliminated. Electric fuel pressure gauge. Heim joint clutch linkage. Adrenaline HPOP. BDP modded IDM. LUK SMFW. DIY Elec Fuel. FS1282, FF5320 fuel filters. SD starter. Dieselsite T-stat. DP 80hp tuned PCM.
'04 F550XL reg. cab. ZF-6 speed. EGR delete. Coolant filter. Cat EC-1 coolant. LF777 bypass oil filter. Blue-spring fuel pressure regulator. ScanGauge II. Glowshift fuel pressure gauge.
sdan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2009, 10:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
MAILMANWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 34
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdan27 View Post
there are two small wires that go to the glow plug relay, one of the wires simply goes to ground so what i did was put a toggle switch in-line with that small wire. when i have the toggle switch on, the glow plugs work as they should and when i turn it off, the glow plugs don't come on at all, that way i don't have to think about how long i want to run glow plugs for when i need them. i've been using this set-up for a couple years and have not had a problem with it yet. running as they should, the glow plugs will run for about 2 minutes even after the WTS light goes out.
thats exactly what i did... its my first winter since ive done this, so i guess i have to "cycle" them a little longer....
MAILMANWV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2009, 11:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Scottville, MI USA
Posts: 954
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
when my engine is cold, i'll turn my glow plugs on and let the wts light turn off and wait an additional half minute or so and she'll generally fire right up. once started, i'll leave the glow plugs on and usually won't start driving until they turn off automatically and the volt meter kicks up to what it should be. if the engine is even a little warm, generally won't need glow plugs at all, especially in the warmer months like you've probably already found.
__________________
'94 F250xlt ext. cab. ZF5-speed 4x4. EBPV delete. DPP downpipe. Tymar intake. Tymar coolant filter. Type 31 batteries. LF9691 primary filter. Electric fans. 10k mod. 1.0 turbo housing. Boost blanket. Over-axle exhaust eliminated. Electric fuel pressure gauge. Heim joint clutch linkage. Adrenaline HPOP. BDP modded IDM. LUK SMFW. DIY Elec Fuel. FS1282, FF5320 fuel filters. SD starter. Dieselsite T-stat. DP 80hp tuned PCM.
'04 F550XL reg. cab. ZF-6 speed. EGR delete. Coolant filter. Cat EC-1 coolant. LF777 bypass oil filter. Blue-spring fuel pressure regulator. ScanGauge II. Glowshift fuel pressure gauge.
sdan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2009, 11:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 1,180
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdan27 View Post
there are two small wires that go to the glow plug relay, one of the wires simply goes to ground so what i did was put a toggle switch in-line with that small wire. when i have the toggle switch on, the glow plugs work as they should and when i turn it off, the glow plugs don't come on at all, that way i don't have to think about how long i want to run glow plugs for when i need them. i've been using this set-up for a couple years and have not had a problem with it yet. running as they should, the glow plugs will run for about 2 minutes even after the WTS light goes out.
What you did works, but for the record no wires on the relay go to ground. The pinout is one large to the + of batterys so has 12v power all the time, the other large post to the plugs. This is the switched post. The two small lugs are the coil in the relay. 12v across the coil connects the two large posts to energize the plugs. Turn on the key, 12v is supplied to one small post, flows through the relay coil out to the PCM which controls whether the "ground" is on or off. When the PCM commands "on", the second small post is drawn to ground so 12v across the coil to turn the relay "on". When the PCM commands "off" both small lugs will have 12v. So no wires actually go to ground. You cut the wire to the PCM and add a switch what you are doing is disconnecting the PCM so it can't turn the relay on.
__________________
1997 F350CC, 4x4, PSD Tipper pro kleenex open filter. Roggen 6" lift kit with 26" ratflex 12" offset tires. Downpipe cut and welded to adapt 3" into a 12" outlet. 12" muffler cut and adapted to 2", then a special turbo manifold from a volkswagon modified to flank out to 3" to the tail pipe. Interior from a Corvair modified by cutting 6" off the padding. Snize and snide 32gallon aux tank mounted in rear seat, rear seat relocated to bed. Bed shortened to 4ft.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
MAILMANWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 34
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKZ650 View Post
What you did works, but for the record no wires on the relay go to ground. The pinout is one large to the + of batterys so has 12v power all the time, the other large post to the plugs. This is the switched post. The two small lugs are the coil in the relay. 12v across the coil connects the two large posts to energize the plugs. Turn on the key, 12v is supplied to one small post, flows through the relay coil out to the PCM which controls whether the "ground" is on or off. When the PCM commands "on", the second small post is drawn to ground so 12v across the coil to turn the relay "on". When the PCM commands "off" both small lugs will have 12v. So no wires actually go to ground. You cut the wire to the PCM and add a switch what you are doing is disconnecting the PCM so it can't turn the relay on.
ron, do you think sdan27 means that one wire goes to ground on the actual switch?
MAILMANWV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
MAILMANWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 34
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Toggle Switch Glow Plug Users?-ebay-pics-161-medium-.jpg
the newer red wire w/ the blue butt conector was ran inside the cab to a on/off switch... then another wire was ran to a ground.. on to cycle the plugs, off for off... RIGHT?
when i did this it was summer, BUT now thats its winter, i have had some starting issues..
all comments appreciated
MAILMANWV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2009, 06:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,473
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The way you have the relay wired you have taken the PCM out of the system. Toggle switch on-glowplugs on. Leave the glowplugs on for a minute or two in cooler weather. You can start the engine after about 20 seconds.
Why did you wire it this way? The PCM control works quite well.
Evel486 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2009, 09:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Scottville, MI USA
Posts: 954
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Might have been easier to snip one of the small wires going to the relay and then splice one end to one terminal of the toggle switch and splice the other end to the other terminal on the toggle. On would complete the circuit and off would open the circuit to turn the glow plugs off. Sounds like it would still be pretty easy to redo it that way if you wanted. With the way you have, might have to be careful not to bump the switch and leave the glow plugs on for too long of a time which could cause damage to them and to the engine.
__________________
'94 F250xlt ext. cab. ZF5-speed 4x4. EBPV delete. DPP downpipe. Tymar intake. Tymar coolant filter. Type 31 batteries. LF9691 primary filter. Electric fans. 10k mod. 1.0 turbo housing. Boost blanket. Over-axle exhaust eliminated. Electric fuel pressure gauge. Heim joint clutch linkage. Adrenaline HPOP. BDP modded IDM. LUK SMFW. DIY Elec Fuel. FS1282, FF5320 fuel filters. SD starter. Dieselsite T-stat. DP 80hp tuned PCM.
'04 F550XL reg. cab. ZF-6 speed. EGR delete. Coolant filter. Cat EC-1 coolant. LF777 bypass oil filter. Blue-spring fuel pressure regulator. ScanGauge II. Glowshift fuel pressure gauge.

Last edited by sdan27; 11-28-2009 at 09:31 PM.
sdan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2009, 11:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
MAILMANWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 34
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evel486 View Post
The way you have the relay wired you have taken the PCM out of the system. Toggle switch on-glowplugs on. Leave the glowplugs on for a minute or two in cooler weather. You can start the engine after about 20 seconds.
Why did you wire it this way? The PCM control works quite well.
i did it this way because there was a short somewhere in the wire... the guys at the international dealership told me about wire'n it this way since it is a positive ground...it worked quite well since here lately..
MAILMANWV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2009, 11:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
MAILMANWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 34
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdan27 View Post
Might have been easier to snip one of the small wires going to the relay and then splice one end to one terminal of the toggle switch and splice the other end to the other terminal on the toggle. On would complete the circuit and off would open the circuit to turn the glow plugs off. Sounds like it would still be pretty easy to redo it that way if you wanted. With the way you have, might have to be careful not to bump the switch and leave the glow plugs on for too long of a time which could cause damage to them and to the engine.
it works great now!!!! my problems were in the switch... i had a basic up/on down/off switch... it failed leading me to this post... since then i have went to momentary push button style switch... wired it up today and it works GREAT!!!!!!
MAILMANWV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2009, 08:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
DZLJIM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 3,062
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No real need for a manual override if your parts are in good shape. If you're having trouble starting then you need a new relay and/or all new gp's.
This stuff doesn't last forever.
If your relay is in good shape and your Glow Plugs are good, the truck will start even below zero in about 8-10 seconds just using the factory set-up.
You turn the key on and the gp's glow for up to 2 minutes, but you can start the truck in 8 to 10 sec, usually. You can watch your volt meter to confirm this. When the truck warms up, the gp on-time will be much shorter, if on at all.
You don't "CYCLE" these glow plugs at all!!! When they are on, they are on for 2 minutes. If it won't start after 8 to 10 sec you have problems to fix.
__________________
Black, '96, F-350, 4x4, Day Cab.
Black/Silver, '97, F-350, 4x4, CC Short Bed.
DzlJim.com for some redneck engineered projects.
DZLJIM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2009, 08:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
MAILMANWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 34
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZLJIM View Post
No real need for a manual override if your parts are in good shape. If you're having trouble starting then you need a new relay and/or all new gp's.
This stuff doesn't last forever.
If your relay is in good shape and your Glow Plugs are good, the truck will start even below zero in about 8-10 seconds just using the factory set-up.
You turn the key on and the gp's glow for up to 2 minutes, but you can start the truck in 8 to 10 sec, usually. You can watch your volt meter to confirm this. When the truck warms up, the gp on-time will be much shorter, if on at all.
You don't "CYCLE" these glow plugs at all!!! When they are on, they are on for 2 minutes. If it won't start after 8 to 10 sec you have problems to fix.
there was a short some where between the pcm and the relay.... or maybe even the pcm.. i did this to circumvent the issue without having to "wire case"....
MAILMANWV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2009, 07:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
DZLJIM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 3,062
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gotcha!
That works well in that case.
So did you find the problem, or just gonna live with it with the switch?

Even with the switch, they only need to be on for about 8 seconds or so to start, then a few seconds after it starts. I shut mine off once as soon as it started and the truck ran crappy till it really wamred up.
__________________
Black, '96, F-350, 4x4, Day Cab.
Black/Silver, '97, F-350, 4x4, CC Short Bed.
DzlJim.com for some redneck engineered projects.
DZLJIM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Wheel & Tire Center

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.