The Diesel Stop banner

Upgrades to a '97 F250 7.3L Turbo Diesel

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  madpogue 
#1 ·
Pre-warning you may have seen this considering the fact i accidentally posted it in the wrong area, Sorry.

Hey guys I'm new to this form, so sorry if I'm not the most knowledgeable person. I would like help on What After market parts I should get for the 1997 Ford F250 7.3L that I will be buying. I was reading and the things I saw where Like the CFM+ Intake Manifold and 4 in. down pipe, and then some random things like injectors and a new turbo and other things like a 6 position chip. Also a added piece of info is that the truck as of now does not have a transmission... I am looking for things that will put pep in its step but also will have good fuel mileage and I would also like to know how much it would be to put a 6 in. lift on it and after that what size tires I should use. This is all just to get down a price for how much I will have to save. Thank you all so much and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

#2 ·
Lift and/or big tires = worse fuel mileage.

Sounds like your first step is to get the tranny back in and get it running.

Welcome to TheDieselStop :)

#3 ·
Thank you and I don't really know but is there like any performance trannys so in the future if I do get a Performance chip It wont be the weak link

#4 ·
You can get a HD rebuilt tranny from Ford (I'm assuming it's an automatic) or you can go with one of the aftermarket tranny builders like Brian's Truck Shop in Alabama, or John Wood in Southern California.

#7 ·
If I found one at a junk yard could I possibly rebuild it? Or would I need to buy an entire new one?

#6 ·
Thats the thing. its at my grandpas shop but I dont believe it has one in it at all thats why they are selling it to me for cheaper.

#8 ·
If it's an auto tranny truck (look for the column mounted shifter) it'll be an E4OD, if it's a manual tranny truck, it'll be a ZF-5.

Most likely an auto tranny.

You could get one at a wrecking yard. Be sure it came from a truck with a 7.3L.
Whether you can rebuild it yourself -- :dunno: . That depends on your skill level. Rebuilding auto trannies is not for the inexperienced. Rebuilding a ZF-5 manual tranny takes a bit of skill that a novice probably doesn't have.

#9 ·
Well I have people with experience who could help me, or is there some way i could buiy one and what would I buy?

#10 · (Edited)
Just because the trans is gone, that doesn't prevent you from knowing what WAS originally installed. Click this, read the caption a few times, study the truck, and then fill in your profile, signature, & avatar with all the truck's details:

There may be a few upgrades that should be done to prevent known problems from appearing or growing, but don't feel like you need to spend a lot or change the way the truck looks before you even own it. Get it running. Do all the maintenance that's undoubtedly overdue. Fix things that are obviously wrong. DRIVE IT. When you need to do something and the truck can't, that's when you'll know the first mod it needs.

Don't jump the gun.

If you'd put the nearest city in your profile location, you might get some specific recommendations on where to look for a trans. Install Google Earth on your computer and use it to fly around your area searching for junkyards, used auto parts, etc. Note the imagery date in the lower R corner so you can tell which JYs are still open, which ones are doing business, and how frequently they change inventory. You can also usually tell how many trucks they have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.