What are the weak points in the ZF 5 speed. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1994-1997 Ford F-Series with Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What are the weak points in the ZF 5 speed.

When I have my engine out I will be going through the tranny as well because it has the low rpm growl. I am wondering if there is anything I can do to beef it up to make it last behind a set of stage ones and a D66.
ShawnMyk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2007, 07:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: What are the weak points in the ZF 5 speed.

I dont think you'll have a whole lot of problems. Just make sure you update to a single flywheel clutch that will hold more power. If you really wanna go over board you could put in a bigger input shaft, but for what your planning you really dont need it.

Matt
99PowerStroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2007, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)

Your low rpm growl is normal. It is called gear rollover.
1996 F-250 extended cab long box five speed. Home made Tymar, 203 Stat, 60 gal in bed fuel cell, 315/75's, no muffler, ebpv welded open 3" to 3" DP, Babies. 290K, still chugging, and still smoking when cold.

UPDATED 1/1/09 Replace so far. 1 LUK flywheel+clutch, 2 thermostats, 2 set of brakes, 1 set of calipers, 5 CPS, 3 sets of tires, 2 Transfer pumps, 1 Injector modual, 1 Computer, 2 Alt, 2 sets of batteries, 1 Water pump, 6 Belts, 1 PS hose, 2 Sets ball joints, 2 set u-joints, 2 carrier bearing, 2 Speed sensors, 1 oil pres sender, 1 temp sender, 4 sets of e-break cables, 1 front fuel tank, 2 rear fuel tanks, 2 set of glow plugs, 7 Glow plug relays, Oil galley o-rings, Turbo pedistal o-rings, EBPV o-rings, 3 sets of Injector O-rings, 1 Vac-pump, 1 new carpet, 1 total paint job.Total $$$ in repairs v/s miles driven = 4.6 cents per mile. Add fuel to that it jumps to 16.5 cents per mile over the life of the truck.
MarkEkberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2007, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

replace the dmf with a smf and a good clutch kit, fill it with some mobil and it should last awhile [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

ECBR
PICS
WEBSHOTS
rednck21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2007, 04:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)

You should be fine with a stock tranny. I think the weak point is the input shaft (which is larger on the 6-speed). There was talk of someone waaay back looking into making a custom, larger, input shaft for the 5-speed, but I'm not sure it ever materialized. Cheers!

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
Patrick Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2007, 05:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)

[ QUOTE ]
You should be fine with a stock tranny. I think the weak point is the input shaft (which is larger on the 6-speed). There was talk of someone waaay back looking into making a custom, larger, input shaft for the 5-speed, but I'm not sure it ever materialized. Cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC southbend has an upgraded input that is the same size as the 6 speed.

'97 F350 crew cab 4x4 lwb xlt 5 speed 225hp

'95 F250 reg cab 2wd xl auto 215hp
75f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2007, 05:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

I did not see it on there site.
95 F350 cc, 4x4, 5sp with a short shift kit, 3.55LS, D66 turbo, Beans stage 1's inj, modded ped, 15/17* HPOP [Thanks Joey] DIY fuel system, IDM mod ,hx mod, DPR intercooler, 3" intakes 3" dp, 4" side out, 2piller w/boost&pyro, steering column mount w/hpop gauge, TW chip, AFE stage 1, ccv mod, DIY oil & coolant filter setups, John Deere coolant eye, ORU RSK, Black Centerline wildcats w/Hankook RT03 315-75-16 mt, front bumper w/8" Hellas and a CT performance rear bumper/tire carrier, 05 SD front and rear seats.

Trying to find time to install Con O clutch, Ford rear diff cover, Blackbird rear disc brake setup.
I have two Kids and they come first...

http://community.webshots.com/user/TECH5150
TECH51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2007, 10:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

I need a new input shaft and some other parts, anyone know if this upgraded shaft is for real ?
95 PSD crew cab LWB 5 speed KP D60. Converted to 4wd from 2wd (wow, what a job!). Custom RSK with SD springs. 290k miles and running strong. SMFW conversion, 3" DP, 1.0 A/R exhaust housing on rebuilt turbo.
skeen550 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2007, 02:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

I know the growl may be normal but I dont like it. It makes the truck sound like a real Junker, especially when the tranny is hot. Sounds like the world is coming to an end from under my truck. I already have a Luk flywheel and clutch kit so I should be all set.
ShawnMyk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2007, 11:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Give this guy a call, he's got a heavy input shaft and all kinds of clutchs from stock to dd's and the prices are really good [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. His names Kenny by the way.
http://www.kennysmachine.com/index.cfm
Matt
99PowerStroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Give this guy a call, he's got a heavy input shaft and all kinds of clutchs from stock to dd's and the prices are really good [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. His names Kenny by the way.
Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

sent an e-mail, will post what he says.
95 PSD crew cab LWB 5 speed KP D60. Converted to 4wd from 2wd (wow, what a job!). Custom RSK with SD springs. 290k miles and running strong. SMFW conversion, 3" DP, 1.0 A/R exhaust housing on rebuilt turbo.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Dieselfever78 Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselfever78

[ QUOTE ]
Matt

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif[/img] You could wear out 2 south bends in the time it takes him to get back with you

-Michael
Dieselfever78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2007, 05:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

well, so far no reply ... guess I will call.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Dieselfever78 Send a message via Yahoo to Dieselfever78

He is in the process of moving into a new shop so that won't make getting ahold of him any easier

-Michael
Dieselfever78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.