1989 F250 ----Filters - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2008, 03:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1989 F250 ----Filters

Does any one have any recommendations on oil and fuel filters? New to diesel.. I recently bought a 1989 F250, IDI, Extended cab, non turbo, 5 speed manual. It has about 150,000 miles and it is in good condition.
It is time to replace the oil filter and the fuel filter.

I found a Motorcraft Oil Filter at O Reillys for $6.99 and the same filter at a Ford dealer for $18.00; then I found a Baldwin oil filter for $12.00 at a Parts Store. A man who I dont know said most people would buy the Baldwin because it is heavier??? Do you have a prefered brand?

I found Fuel Filters at dealers and at Parts Stores for $35.00 to $40.00. I found three brands Motorcraft, Baldwin and Racor. The same man who I dont know said to go with Racor because it does better on water removal and its the best. Do you have a prefered brand?

Any help on finding the best filters to buy will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Pat
Pat1920 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2008, 05:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Well, here's the thing - you can actually use a PowerStroke oil filter on your IDI engine, tis about twice longer and supposedly filters better, and it will bolt up to the IDI. I think you want something like a 2000 model year PSD filter. I personally use a Wix filter cause that's what my local parts store carries, I paid like $17 for the extended capacity one (smaller than a PSD filter, but still larger than stock).

M.L.S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2008, 07:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
I found a Motorcraft Oil Filter at O Reillys for $6.99
Walmart stocks the original Motorcraft too for about a buck less. I've always got my fuel filters about 4-5 at a time from one of the diesel fuel component sponsors here out of Texas.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2008, 08:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
The bigger one for the PSD would be a Motorcraft FL-1995 and it's 10 bucks at wally world. (Not to mention RotellaT 15w40 is also 10 bucks a gallon. Pretty good deal vs autozone at 16.00. Especially when you have to buy 3 of them.)

Note: You probably have a front brake line there like everyone else, so before filling and installing the taller filter, dry fit it loosely(empty), and very gently thumb the brake line out of the way. You want at least a 1/4" or better clearance so when the motor moves around, it won't bust up the front brake lines.

I started using the FL-1995 filter in '96 when the truck had 30K on it. Now it has 255K and I've never had a single problem with particulate in the oil. I run about 4500m on RotellaT 15w40 and every change, a sample goes off to Blackstone. The twenty bucks is worth the piece of mind IMO.
updated sig: '94 F-350 XL, 7.3IDI turbo, ZF S-542, 4X4, SRW, 8ft fisher, utility body w/ lift gate, slightly tweaked IP, boost and pre-turbo pyro, aftermarket AC, Holley blue pump, ATS 3" elbow and DP, straight 3" exhaust. 13lbs at 2700rpm's, if you stand on it.(Not too often or kaBoom) 1150* on the pyro and as LOUD as it wants to be. 300,000 miles and counting. This is just my work truck.

Watch where you park your house.., a Fiat just might jump thru it.

Last edited by FreightTrain1107; 06-25-2008 at 08:12 AM.
FreightTrain1107 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2008, 09:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
Whatever works. Other side of the coin, I have 239,600 using the standard (not PSD) filter and don't use any more oil now than the day I bought the truck new. Being as the standard filter was designed according to Ford's specs, compared to more important variables, in the long run it's no doubt going to make zero difference in engine life whichever one is used.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by LMJD; 06-25-2008 at 09:48 AM.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2008, 06:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

you also get a little more oil capacity with the fl-1995 psd filter
Old 06-25-2008, 06:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

standard motocraft fuel filters work fine i change mine every 3 oil changes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.