1989 ford f super duty 7.3 idi diesel - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1989 ford f super duty 7.3 idi diesel

1989 ford f superduty 7.3 diesel
have a slight proablum. have 89 f superduty truck withe 7.3 diesel it was starting and running fine but today when i went to start and move it when you turn the key nothing happens the starter douse not engage or make any noise acts like ther is now power to any thing both battery fully charged and connected what should i look for any help appreatchiated thanks brian
xpebrian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Not sure if your 89 is different than my 93, but have you tried jumping it off the starter solenoid? On mine the solenoid is on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Just turn the key to the "on" position, make sure it's in park, then touch both of the two larger bolts on the solenoid at the same time with the screwdriver. She might start. That would tell you your starter is ok.

The only other time my truck did that is when my POS Auto Zone starter shorted out 3 months after installing it...
31" bfg all terrains
Just rolled 100k original miles
nbkr341 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'd first pull and check all your fuses. Small chance it's the issue but it's a good place to start. Afterwards I'd pull your battery cables and check each battery separately. While discounted you can clean your terminals. A diesel won't start if one battery is dead. Next I'd follow your battery cables to ensure you're grounded properly and connected to the rest of the system securely. If all these points check out and the truck still won't start, it's time to buy a new one.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Just.the.tip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Disconnected*

Stupid auto-correct.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Just.the.tip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
starter solenoid? On mine the solenoid is on the passenger side of the engine compartment.
To avoid confusion at the parts counter, that's actually the starter relay that engages the starter solenoid. Check it as nbkr341 suggests, by what you describe, it's usually the problem most of the time.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD View Post
To avoid confusion at the parts counter, that's actually the starter relay that engages the starter solenoid. Check it as nbkr341 suggests, by what you describe, it's usually the problem most of the time.
Thanks, good to know. What exactly is the usual problem? I have replaced my starter relay, ignition switch and lock cylinder and the problem still shows up occasionally.
31" bfg all terrains
Just rolled 100k original miles
nbkr341 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Impossible to say by looking at a monitor. It could be anything from corroded contacts in the starter solenoid (mounted on the starter), a bad segment on the commutator, shot starter brushes, to bad cable connections, corroded batt terminals, mis-adjusted neutral switch if you have an auto trans, etc. Those relays DO frequently fail compared to the other components, that's why I said it was a good chance it was your problem, if not, time to look elsewhere.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD View Post
Impossible to say by looking at a monitor. It could be anything from corroded contacts in the starter solenoid (mounted on the starter), a bad segment on the commutator, shot starter brushes, to bad cable connections, corroded batt terminals, mis-adjusted neutral switch if you have an auto trans, etc. Those relays DO frequently fail compared to the other components, that's why I said it was a good chance it was your problem, if not, time to look elsewhere.
any body know where i can find wiring digram for my truck my repair manuale dosent have one
Old 04-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think Chuckster has said all that can be found on the Advance Auto Supply website if you sign up. Or Autozone.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Smile need help stumped

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpebrian1 View Post
1989 ford f superduty 7.3 diesel
have a slight proablum. have 89 f superduty truck withe 7.3 diesel it was starting and running fine but today when i went to start and move it when you turn the key nothing happens the starter douse not engage or make any noise acts like ther is now power to any thing both battery fully charged and connected what should i look for any help appreatchiated thanks brian
checked battorys both charged to 12.5 volts but that dosent seem to be enough voltage to start vehicle when i put battory charger on and turn it to ingine start iafter a minite or so it will have enough power to start truck

ps any body know of good place to get new positive battory cable or the parts to make new cable thanks alot brian
Old 04-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
what size cable do you have going to the starter from the battery? I had a 4 gauge, and it was very slow cranking over. I swapped it out to a 1 gauge ( biggest Napa had at that length), and it urns over 2-3 times faster than before. Also the old cable was melted in two spots. I'm glad i changed it.
1978 Honda CB750 Bobbed out
MedicMoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

Smile Battory cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicMoe View Post
what size cable do you have going to the starter from the battery? I had a 4 gauge, and it was very slow cranking over. I swapped it out to a 1 gauge ( biggest Napa had at that length), and it urns over 2-3 times faster than before. Also the old cable was melted in two spots. I'm glad i changed it.
Have the factory stock Battory cables would like to replace them what is a good size to use and where to get them
My auto parts stores can't seem to locate them is it possisable to just buy the able and the ends and assemble them
Any help appreaycheated thanks brian
Old 05-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

have question

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpebrian1 View Post
Have the factory stock Battory cables would like to replace them what is a good size to use and where to get them
My auto parts stores can't seem to locate them is it possisable to just buy the able and the ends and assemble them
Any help appreaycheated thanks brian
have lying around some 1 gauge aluminum strandid wire rated for 110 220 50 amps will this work well for conducting the current frome battories or should i use copper i would like to use the aluminum wire if it will work since the copper is around 75.00 dollers any my napa store wants 150.00 for the positive cable

thanks alot for any help
brian
Old 05-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
OE is 2/0 copper, bigger than 00. It would take multiple strands of your 1 gauge Al to match up to 2/0 Cu and then it would still be less resistant to damage due to vibration. You might try a welding shop. You want the finely stranded stuff like that.
drinkypoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

With welding lead for battery cables you can actually bend the cables to fit them away from moving components. The standard battery cables have thick individual strands making it harder to move the cables.
Mitchalvin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.