1992 Ford 7.3diesel auto tranny - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2006, 12:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1992 Ford 7.3diesel auto tranny

I have a 1992 Ford F-350 crew cab with an auto tranny that keeps going out on me. I have replaced it four times now. I am thinking about converting it into a manual tranny, 5 speed or 6 speed, i donno. What are the complications? Do I have to change the gear ratio?
Help please, thanks.
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2006, 12:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1992 Ford 7.3diesel auto tranny

I know some folks have done this, but I'm thinking you'll get more action or do a search of the 7.3 Non-Power Stroke forum.

Keith
93 F350 CC Dually 7.3 Hypermax turbo 4:10 gears, ZF rower, K&N filter, home made ram-air, Hypermax 3.5" exhaust, LUK clutch, 150,000 mi.
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2006, 12:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

You can certainly do the swap if you wish. However I would be willing to bet money that there are external factors ruining your transmissions. First is there is going to be garbage in your coolers which is going to contaminate any rebuild. A Magnefine filter in the return line is a must with any rebuild. The second is that if you have a bad sensor, it will make the trans shift improperly which can ruin a good trans in thousands of miles.

Go through the 7.3IDI forum, you will find numerous posts concerning the sensors that the trans uses input from to shift.

Former vehicles, 1994 E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 International 1654 rollback, 6.9L IDI, (2) 1994 Ford E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 DRW 6.9L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 wrecker 6.9L IDI.

*dual ASE Master Certified, Automotive, Medium & Heavy trucks*

Owner / operator, Patriot Automotive, N Ridgeville OH
Mr_Roboto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2006, 01:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Get a different tranny mechanic. Automatics built by the right person can be bulletproof.

Changing over to a manual may be more trouble than its worth. you'll need a clutch pedal,linkages,transfer case issues,driveshaft issues.
It could become very costly unless you can fab it yourself.

I would get the tranny rebuilt by a competent shop.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (61)

This would get better response in the 7.3 IDI (not powerstroke) forum. Moderators notified, hopefully it will get moved.

Dave / Believer45

LINK TO LIST OF THE FALLEN

'95 F250 ext cab long bed, PSD, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive, 3.55 gears, 286,000 miles, Edge Evolution CTS (LINK TO MY REVIEW), LUK clutch, homemade REAR BUMPER, open element AIR FILTER, 36" ARE contractor cap. With tools, full of fuel and me on board (300 lbs) steer 3620, drive 3860 total 7480.
Believer45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2006, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

The "design" of the E4OD / 4R100 won't make it fail in 5,000 miles. YES, there is an issue with low line pressure in the computer programming, but that can be fixed in various ways.

A "bulletproof" transmission will still fail quickly if you have a bad sensor that causes the transmission to run at very low or very high line pressure, or causes the TCC to constantly lock and unlock.

There have been many many serviceable E4OD's replaced because of electronic, not mechanical issues. The computer does not care how many times you replace the transmission, if it's an electronic issue a $3000 reman will shift the same as a 150K mile used trans.

Former vehicles, 1994 E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 International 1654 rollback, 6.9L IDI, (2) 1994 Ford E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 DRW 6.9L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 wrecker 6.9L IDI.

Old 08-31-2006, 05:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

Check with "oldmisterbill" the man has great luck with transmissions, and he used to tow for hire. He is retired now, but still around at times, here and on that other place.

His is a jasper, BTS builds good ones, I am going through the same things you are with a ford reman. Less than 5000 miles since the last repair.... now burnt fluid, and eratic shifts....

It is still under warranty so back I go again.

Let me know what you find.
Doug
Old 09-01-2006, 02:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

After reading everyones input, I am thinking that i have an electrical problem. I do alot of heavy towing with my truck and with a fresh tranny it does great, but after about 12,000 miles it startes to act up. So i will look into that department.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)

Check all the trans electrical connections especially the one on the right side with the tin cover, remove the tin heat shield, remove the solenoid connector by pushing on the center tab and pulling up on the wire harness. To install push down until a click is heard. Always reinstall the tin heat shield.

Your looking for corroded, bent or missing pins and water etc.......

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2006, 09:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

I borrowed this from another post. In my spare time I'm going to try to add to this text to create an "E4OD" sensor FAQ answer, since it comes up on a regular basis. And the reality is the regs get tired of answering the same question every 2 days...

_________________Begin Quote_____________
The E4OD gets signals from the FIPL (or TPS) Fuel Injection Pump Lever, the tach sensor and the rear anti lock brake (RABS) / speed sensor on the rear diff housing. Check the FIPL first.

The TP (FIPL) sensor is incorporated to provide an electrical signal, which is proportional to the amount of fuel being delivered, as an input to the Transmission Electronic Control Assembly (TECA) Based on this information, the TP (FIPL) provides the proper shift scheduling and torque capacity.

Should a malfunction occur in the TP (FIPL) sensor circuit, the electrical signal sent to the TECA will be recognized as erroneous. When this out-of-specification signal is detected, the TECA will provide a high-capacity operating mode that protects the transmission from potential damage. This operating mode includes maximum TV pressure, resulting in harsh upshifts and engagements and a singular shift schedule regardless of accelerator pedal position, resulting in the 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 shifts occurring at a speed commensurate with a heavy (but not wide open) throttle setting.

The Ford shop manual has a procedure to set the FIPL sensor. It's fairly long and required a special guage block and the use of the Super Star Tester ( early scan tool ). I decided that this was not what the "field" needed so I called the Ford Hotline and they gave me plain and simple voltage readings at closed throttle and WOT. MUCH easier.

Closed throttle voltage = 1.1V
WOT min 0f 3.8V not to exceed 4.3V

You definitely don't want 5V at WOT. PCM would read this as a short between Reference Voltage ( 5V ) and FIPL signal and go into failure mode.

Next, does your tach work? Bounce? If it does not work, or bounces, then replace it.
The dead tach sender should/would send the automatic trans into a "failure management mode" (limp mode) with harsh engagements and firm shift feel, and an abnormal shift schedule. It has no effect on a manual trans only the Tach readings.

Replace the tach sender on the oil fill housing a big 1" nut with 2 wires. Ford only part Engine RPM sensor E5TZ-17B384-A about $50. You can remove and clean it but usually changed later too. You can test it too, hold it in the air away from ferrous metal, using an ohm meter lead on each wire you need DC resistance between 2000-3000 ohms.

Does your speedo bounce? If so replace the sensor on the rear diff.

If all of this "passes" then check all of the electrical connections at the tranny it self. Remember to replace the heat sheild on the pass side of the tranny when checking the connector.

Now, after all of this is done, replaced and good, remove both negative batt cables for about 15 minutes, this will reset the computer.

If you have not already done so, invest in some nice plate style coolers (I run two), a temp gauge and go to the local dealer and get a trans pan, gasket and filter for the 2001 F250 4X4 with a 4R100 trans. This will give you an extra 1 1/2 qts of capacity and a drain plug. Magna Fine makes a nice disposable in line filter, or you can add an external filter of choice. As another member says "a clean, cool fluid is a happy fluid."
___________________End Quote__________________

Old 09-01-2006, 10:26 AM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Get a different tranny mechanic. Automatics built by the right person can be bulletproof.

Changing over to a manual may be more trouble than its worth. you'll need a clutch pedal,linkages,transfer case issues,driveshaft issues.
It could become very costly unless you can fab it yourself.

I would get the tranny rebuilt by a competent shop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. With the right upgraded parts and cooler, E4od will do the job. By all means don't let me discourge you from checking out your electronics first. Sounds like Roberto has put alot of helpful info together.
POWERFLOW BY RACER X - 1997 F-350 Twin Turbo charged 7.3 Power Stroke Diesel fueled with 473 cc's of diesel plus nitrous, equipped with a Custom Built Racer X E4OD transmission making 800 r.w.h.p. on video! The first successfully Twin Turbo Charged 7.3 PSD!

Owned & sponsored by : Florida North
Racer_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2006, 12:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

I sympathize with you. I have an older (88 model) 7.3 NA with the C6, and it's in the shop right now having the tranny rebuilt for the 5th time since I purchase the truck in 94. IMHO, putting an auto behind these monster engines was the worst mistake ford ever made...Especially with the early 7.3 models (like mine), where they used the C6. Twice I've had the engine break a stud on the torque converter and all h3ll breaks loose after that. I too have looked into the possibility of replacing the tranny with a manual, but I've been told by several tranny mechs that I would be cheaper to buy another truck than to attempt that on the 88 model...Hopefully you have better luck with the 92 E4OD than I have with the C6...
BTW, I had a '77 with a 351 gas burner w/C6 and found it to be one of the best trannys out there...it's just no good behind a diesel engine...The next diesel I buy will have a stick or it's not coming home with me!
Old 09-02-2006, 06:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

fordsl35--when the trans are replaced--do the coolers get replaced--powerstroke dsl can tell you--but--if a trans trashes good--you cant get the metal out the cooler--hence plug--hence overheating--also--tear out that stock cooler---and put the v10 cooler in there--makes huge diff--they dont like heat---and as others said--rebuilder dont know what hes doing--or building them cheap--takes a few bucks to put all the good upgrades in---
94 f250 idi turbo sc e4od alum fac rims 149,289 --dana 60 frt with posi--10.25 rear w/posi--shouldnt get stuck!! ats turbo 3" parts on--what a diff from stock turbo!!!!!--- also 96 F250 with 305,000 is fixed!!-- 7.3 rattler-also 85 6.9-needs new engine!! tired!!
94_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2006, 08:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

When I changed my trans, I flushed and backflushed the coolers for a couple hours using kerosene, pumped with an electric fuel pump and filtered with a gas filter.

Then the Magnefine filter supplied with the reman went in the return line to the trans. Because you can NEVER get all the contaminants out of the coolers.

Any bit of metal from the failed trans will quickly ruin a new one. Not to mention plugging the coolers as was mentioned above.

Old 09-02-2006, 09:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)

When any trans is rebuilt/replaced the cooler SHOULD be changed. You cannot get all the junk out as there are too many blind spots. The Magnafine filter and cooler change is a must if you use a Ford reman and many other rebuilds or there will be no warranty.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.