1993 F350 automatic overdrive - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2009, 08:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1993 F350 automatic overdrive

Hi Folks,
I recently aquired this beast and I just started having problems with the tranny. The overdrive light is flashing on the column gear handle and the transmission is shifting very hard. I believe it may be the PCM, but I do not know where it is located. Thanks.
brobdingnagian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2009, 08:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Do you just want instruction on changing the PCM, or do you want help diagnosing what's wrong?

I'll assume (and yes, I know what that will probably get me) that you want help finding out what's wrong with your truck.

When the OD light flashes it means that the PCM has stored an error code to tell you what it has detected is wrong. If you read the codes you'll have a REALLY good head start on finding the problem. Without the code all you can do is start buying parts and installing them until you get lucky.

Your truck is OBDI. That means you can get a $25 tool to read the codes, or with some instructions that I don't have read the codes with just a paper clip.

Once you have the codes post them here and we can tell you exactly where to look for the problem. The PCM is RARELY the problem.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2009, 09:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Here is a link to get the codes with an analog volt meter and at the lower portion of the page it will list the meanings of the codes.

Troublcodes.net Trouble Codes OBD & OBD2 Trouble Codes and Technical info & Tool Store. By BAT Auto Technical
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
i am new to these trucks too. over spring break, i pulled a RV trailer to the fishing hole. i think i was lyed to about how much that monster weighed. i had done a search to find out if i should be pulling with overdrive off or not. some people said off and some said overdrive unless it starts searching for gears. almost there after some weird hills and curves the overdrive light started blinking and it was slow to shift.

i did another search about the overdrive light blinking. i could be wrong, but i think i read the transmission goes into a safe mode when the light is blinking. one person said his light comes once a year and he disconnects the batteries for a few minutes and resets the light and keeps going. since i was about 80 miles for no where i gave it a try. i disconnect the batteries for the day. i hooked up the batteries and no blinking. at the end of the week i drove home with the overdrive off without any problems shifting and no blinking light.

i am not saying you should do this and hope someone will correct me but if you reset the light and you still have a problem that the light will start blinking again. i had planned to check the blinking code if it had started blinking on the return trip but for 25 bucks get the code reader to make sure.
pafree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pafree View Post
i am new to these trucks too. over spring break, i pulled a RV trailer to the fishing hole. i think i was lyed to about how much that monster weighed. i had done a search to find out if i should be pulling with overdrive off or not. some people said off and some said overdrive unless it starts searching for gears. almost there after some weird hills and curves the overdrive light started blinking and it was slow to shift.

i did another search about the overdrive light blinking. i could be wrong, but i think i read the transmission goes into a safe mode when the light is blinking. one person said his light comes once a year and he disconnects the batteries for a few minutes and resets the light and keeps going. since i was about 80 miles for no where i gave it a try. i disconnect the batteries for the day. i hooked up the batteries and no blinking. at the end of the week i drove home with the overdrive off without any problems shifting and no blinking light.

i am not saying you should do this and hope someone will correct me but if you reset the light and you still have a problem that the light will start blinking again. i had planned to check the blinking code if it had started blinking on the return trip but for 25 bucks get the code reader to make sure.
Disconnecting the batteries just resets the tranny PCM, and if the problem is still there, then yes the light will come back on. If you use the link in my previous post you can use an analog volt meter and get the code(s)The definitions are at the bottom of the page of the link. You can post here for an explanation. If you do get a code reader make sure it will read OBD I. OBD II wasn't mandated until 1996. I pull my 9K 5er with the OD on and only turn it off when I hit a hill or the tranny starts "hunting"
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2009, 08:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Hi folks. I just got home and read the advice and it is much appreciated. Because I was afraid the tranny was going to snatch the unversal I disconnected the batteries to see if the PCM would reset and it shifts fine now. I realize there is probably still a problem that needs to be diagnosed, so do you think the codes will be in the PCM history? What kind of code reading device should I buy? Thanks again to all.
brobdingnagian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
The codes are gone. Disconnnecting the batteries will clear the codes. If the problem happens again they will reset.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.