1993 f450 blowing white smoke - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2006, 09:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1993 f450 blowing white smoke

i have a 93 f450 non turbo and its blowing white smoke like crazy and smells like diesel check oil looks good checks water level and also looks good so i don't think it could be the head gasket could be wrong also the truck has been sitting for 2 years or so thought maybe fuel wnt bad but put fresh in and still doing the same thin any help would be great
bounty21061 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2006, 10:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1993 f450 blowing white smoke

if it has a lot of miles or just wasnt taken care of that could be your problem. it could have compression problem or have worn injectors. my 88 F250 with 300,000 smokes like crazy just because its old and worn out.
MyDTpickup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2006, 10:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

it only has 140,000 miles on the truck some one said also a injector pump or something of that nature but i did a search and i don't think they had one on that year i could be wrong don't know nothing about diesels my first 1 . and autozone isn't showing one for that truck
Old 10-21-2006, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have a '94 with100,000 on it and it is doing much of what you are describing. White smoke at idle and eye burning fumes. It also does not idle real smoth. Local injection shop told me the inj pump needs replaced. Seams as though there is a timing advancer in the bottom of the pump that wears out thus throwing the timing off. They explained it like a vacum advance on a gasser( for those of us that are trying to reform lol) Ken at DPS agreed with the theory and feels that a new pump and injectors will fix me right up. So.. I'm about to bite the bullet and order one to the tune of just under $700.00.
CRASHED:-1986 F-350 4x4 dually. Hillsboro flatbed. 3" aluminized exhaust t'd under bed.5" stacks.'94 7.3 turbo diesel with ATS upgrade kit.Kenwood cd player, Autometer; pyro,boost,trany temp,oil pressure, and engine temp. Jasper transmission and transfer case. "B&M suppercooler" Trany cooler. Perma-cool electric fans. Holly "Red" fuel pump. 9' fisher commercial snow plow. Munci live hydo pump; 5 core radiator(can't remember brand) More $$$ then if I'd have bought a new one!!
stevehastings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2006, 04:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

i just found 1 for 300.00 where i live i'll pick it it tommorrow and try it to see if it works
Old 10-21-2006, 07:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

I just went through all of this with my 1994 F250 IDI non-tubo with 209K miles on the original IP and injectors ( see- http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthrea...e=0#Post3031814 ) . I did the R&R labor and spent about $750 on the IP , new injectors , and paying a diesel shop to get it timed and some minor loose ends fixed. No smoke now and it seems to have a great deal more power than I it had when I have owened it ( I bought it 20K miles ago) . 'Still a few minor loose ends to deal woth but this was time and money well spent for me . Thanks again to the people here that have responded to my questions .
Old 10-21-2006, 07:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

so i guess when you replace the pump it has to go to the shop to have it timed in is that correct
Old 10-21-2006, 07:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yes. It will run if you do the install properly but it it will need to be timed to get optimum performance . I takes a special timing meter or a special pulse timing light adapter which you probably would want to buy for basically a one time use. Some people can time close it by ear but that is not usually the case .

[ QUOTE ]
so i guess when you replace the pump it has to go to the shop to have it timed in is that correct

[/ QUOTE ]
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.