1993 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel Non Turbo - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1993 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel Non Turbo

Ok so when I first start my truck up it is wanting to run like crap and if you give it the gas she idles up and when the idle comes back down it just stalls right out like shuting the key off. A friend of mine told me it was the injection pump so 550.00 dollars later and its still doing the same thing. I have even invested in a new fuel pump and filter and its still doing the same thing. Any suggestions anyone? Also after it warms up it seems to go away now with the new injection pump as with the old one it seemed to do it all the time. The truck has 200,000 miles on it and it is 4wheel drive with a 5 speed manual transmission. The guy I got it from told me he replaced the filters in the tank because the old ones rotted out so I am assuming it got done but am not 100%. Any help would be sure appreciated. Thanks
I was told by an old retired diesel mechanic do replace the manual fuel pump with a electric fuel pump I may be having a leak down issue does this make sense?

Last edited by fl3590; 04-20-2009 at 12:08 PM.
fl3590 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2009, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
I have a 92 idi that did the same thing when my stock mechanical fuel pump went out with 258,000 miles. So i put a new mechanical pump and it still does it but only for a few seconds at inital start up. I wouldent put a eletric fuel pump on because i did and i burned two up, i dont know if i wired them wrong or what happened, ive seen others do it and have no problems tho. Hopes this helps.
waco_kid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 03:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
How much fuel in the tank selected.......

Quote:
The guy I got it from told me he replaced the filters in the tank because the old ones rotted out so I am assuming it got done but am not 100%.
I think your problem may be fuel pickups rotted off visit my photo link and look for the sample of the pickups with the screen missing...... this is a common thing if ya do offroad.

Is the fast idle and timing advance working when you set it by pushing the fuel pedal to the floor key on just before starting. Fast idle cold should be about 850 rpm and 650 rpm engine warm (auto in gear stopped) (manual in nuetral).

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...

Last edited by cdnsarguy; 04-21-2009 at 03:48 AM.
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 06:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (33)
air in the lines.install a clear fuel return line off of your fuel filter(see in my photos).if you see bubbles in the line you are getting air from the tank to the engine somewhere
Old 04-21-2009, 06:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

I dont do any off roading with it but who knows what the last guy did with it! If he just pulled the screens off and didnt replace them this could be causing my problems? Also someone told me my fuel selector valve could be bad and I could be sucking air from the rear tank when the tank is to low does that make sense? Thanks
Old 04-21-2009, 06:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks I will try that because when I pushed the valve stem in on the fuel filter assembly a lot of air came out before any fuel did. Does this year truck have a common place it may be sucking air that you know of? When I left work with the truck yesterday everytime I went to stop the truck just died and then it would start right back up with no hesitation so I was almost thinking it was an electrical issue but after pushing that valve stem in and saw all the air I am assuming that must be the problem. My rear tank has got a messed up spout on it where you put the fuel in it so I cant get any diesel in that tank and someone was telling me the fuel selector valve could be bad and it could be sucking a ton of air from that rear tank. Have you heard of that ever happening? Thanks for all your help
Old 04-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (33)
i had the same problem with my 92.i was getting air in my line.replace the fuel line from tank to mech. pump still was getting air turn out to be the sending unit in the tank.the metal lines will rust in time
Old 04-21-2009, 07:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
I had problems with the small piece of rubber hose that went from the frame to my lift pump. Replaced it and got new clamps and never been problem since.

Homemade Propane Injection.

RUNS ON PURE WASTE MOTOR OIL!
No more diesel for me...
1987IDI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

i had a simler problum like that with my 89, after you run it for a lil bit i shut it off it would start realy hard after sitting for a lil bit, so i looked under the hood and found out when it stoped running it would suck air through the metal line comeing off the botom of th fuel filter so i just fixed that and it went away.
derhunter24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 08:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for all there help and info I think I have gotten the problem figured out as it turned out the guy did replace the filters in the tanks WITH THE WRONG ONES!!! Apartently he thought any old filter would work and he just jerry riged them on and they were filters for a fuel injected gasoline engine so when it got down to half a tank it was just sucking a ton of air i replaced those with ones from ford and now the truck runs so smooth..Again thank you everyone for all your help..This is a great website.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Air In Fuel?

i have a 1993 ford idi 5 speed 4x4 it has about 270,000 miles i have had the same problem twice and the first time it was the fuel selector valve it will get old and start to rot and will suck air in and will run like crap and shake your pickup to death trust me i know so go spend about 150 to 200 dollers ya its expensive but it will help. ok say u already replaced the fuel selector valve, the push valve on your fuel filter base sometimes it will get lose so get a valve core remover and tighten it up and also check all your rubber lines and threads on your brass fuel lines. now if that wasnt any help check every thing that has to do with fuel like: fuel pump, filter base, fuel filter, fuel tank, pick up lines in fuel tank. check all of it now DO NOT go and spend 500 or more dollers on a injection pump until you absolutly positivly know for a fact that, thats whats wrong with it. so if any one has other suggestions please let me know, thanks
crisen73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2010, 05:46 AM   #12 (permalink)

If you engine starts and runs for a few seconds and cuts off another item to check is the small bleed hose off the top off the filter. If this is plugged the fuel will often
siphon out of the filter back through the fuel pump so on start up the truck will act as though it runs out of fuel before the pump gets the fuel back up to the injection pump.
At times this can also cause rattling rough running on start-up for a few seconds.
Terry in Md is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.