Looking to buy a 1994 F250 IDI factory turbo
, 7.3L, E4OD automatic, 3L55 rear end gear ratio with 170,000 miles.
My questions are only for this truck and I want to do what ever is reasonable to get the best MPG.
Today, in Houston Shell stations on I-45, diesel was $351.9 per gal and gasoline was $3.01 per gal. Today a friend of mine in rural Texas paid $3.79 per gallon. Does any one think diesel prices will fall below gasoline prices again?
Because I am new to diesel
, I have a few questions:
1. Is this a pretty good truck? I am told that in 1994, the three choices were:
A. IDI 7.3 non-turbo.
B. IDI 7.3 turbo.
C. DI 7.3 powerstroke.
2. Turbo. Can anyone help me understand what the turbo does--increase HP, increase Torque, and increase MPG. How many MPG increase will a IDI Turbo have over a IDI non turbo? Now, I am not considering 1994 7.3 Powerstroke.
3. Turbo. What effect does a bad turbo have on a truck?
4. Turbo. A Ford partsman told me a new IDI Turbo would cost about $850.00. How many hours would it take to install it?
5. Turbo. Is it cheaper and easier to rebuild a turbo or doe it take many more hours?
6. Injection Pump. Can it be manually adjusted to increase MPG like the old 6.9L ?
7. Injection Pump. Can a remanufactured Injection Pump increase MPG? A Ford parts man said it would cost about$575.00.
8. Rear end Gear ratio. How many more MPG should I get with this 3L.55 versus the 4.10 rear end?
I am a conservative driver in city and on highway.
9. Fuel Injectors. Would new injectors increase MPG?
Any help will be apprecited.