1994 F250 transmission problem - hard shift - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2005, 01:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1994 F250 transmission problem - hard shift

My trucks transmission has just started suddenly shifting very hard . No burned fliud . What do I check first before going to a shop or start looking for a rebuilt one . Is DIY rebuild realistic on an AODE ( years ago I successfully rebuilt a C4) ? - THANKS
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2005, 04:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1994 F250 AODE transmission problem - hard shift

Do you mean an E4OD? If so, totally whole different animal than the C-4. I wouldn't attempt it. You will need a load of special tools. As for your hard shifting, could be a number of things. Some easily fixable, others not. Take it in for a code reading, then post the numbers here. Some one will be able to help you out. Tim
Old 06-18-2005, 08:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Re: 1994 F250 transmission problem - hard shift

Door jamb sticker show trans code E which I thought meant AODE but I guess I got mixed up ( Is code E E40D ). I just found my old Actron EEV-IV $20 code scanner . Hopefully if will tell me it is something simple like a bad sensor.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Re: 1994 F250 AODE transmission problem - hard shift

E=E4OD
Old 06-18-2005, 10:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)

There are three inputs that are required to operate the trans.. tach, speedo and Fuel injection pump lever (FIPL).

Does the tach work, how about the speedo, then the FIPL it's on the LH side of the IP.

To set to specs:
With a warm engine and the idle speed set to your engine specs probably 650 in drive (curb idle).

Now with key on engine off. First connect the negative lead of a volt meter to the negative battery post, then place a paper clip straightened to slide up the side of the center wire for a good contact, touch the positive lead to the paper clip. Electrical connector must be connected to the FIPL.

If your FIPL requires resetting loosen the small torx screws and attempt to attain the correct setting. You can loosen the large bolts on the bracket if necessary but try to retain the centering on the FIPL/blade.

Your trying to get closed throttle voltage: 1.1 V, wide open throttle voltage: minimum of 3.8 V but not more than 4.3 V.

If you can attain those #s then tighten the screws/bolts and ensure the voltage is at the correct setting after tightening. You can also do a slow sweep of the fuel lever from idle to WOT to see if there are any blanc (dead) spots, much easier with a really $$$ meter with capture mode. If you still find there are hard shifts or very soft slippery shifts you can adjust to suit your driving but be warned slippery shifts will burn the trans up.

Just some helpful info......

Please be so kind as to put much needed info in your signature, go to "My Home" at the top of the page then "Personal info" click "Edit" put "all known" particulars for your truck/van in the signature block, any other info you feel worthwhile in other parts of this area. Fill in the "geographic location" too it is just as important, members can then direct you to the best known suppliers for parts, repairs, fuel etc closest you by location/ area/country. You could be just around the corner from a member willing to assist you or a parts store with what you need..
THANK YOU

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2005, 07:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies -

Tachometer and speedometer seem to be working fine . I will try to check codes and follow cdnsarguy's diagnostic steps on the FIPL sensor .

A little more info - OD light has never worked since I purchased vehicle about 8 months ago however everything was fine ( shifting pefect and OD worked as it was suposed to ) until the shifting problem developed . It seems the transmission has started to whine a little under load but then again I have really not isolated it to the transmission ( could be rear end or universal joints which I haven't yet checked )
Old 06-19-2005, 09:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)

Not sure if you can pop the end off the TCIL light and change the bulb........ or just replace the whole arm.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2005, 05:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

On hunch , I disconnected the battery terminal on the solenoid for about 4 hours and reconnected it ( hopefully to reset the computer) . I then drove the truck around for about 20 minutes and it shifted fine .

After the test drive I checked the key on engine off codes and got a code 23 - TPS improper voltage ( TPS= FIPL sensor ) ?

I am still trying to find my VOM to check it with . ( I is a digital VOM OK )

Thanks
Old 06-19-2005, 05:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yes, digital VOM, is much easier to read (especially if your're over 40 (or over 50 in my case [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])the 0.XX VDC than the old analog meters that used to be the standby, if you spend a bunch of money, you can get a digital VOM, with analog bar graph display to measure signal decay, and other wondrous things. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

jerry
'91 F350 CC,7.3NA w/K&N,E40D(rebuilt--way too many times), 2WD,3.55 rear end,new IP,new u-joints & carrier bearing, new rotors, new calipers, new drums & hdware, added Auburn limited slip unit (2/8/05)w/valvoline synth 80-90w, new batt.cables,new window motors,new radiator & hoses, 500K, (new injectors)+ mi (now 678K miles)& still Truck'n. If I can fix it, it ain't broke, I'd rather do it myself.(yes, I add,stanadyne, lucas or power sytems fuel additive in every tank, w/maybe 1-2x year full big bottle dose split between both tanks). New tires & pretty wheels, front end rebuild 3/17/05. Bilsteins added 6/12/05. New motor mounts & valve cover gaskets (9/06.)Future hopes finally fixing my electric door locks & adding remote entry/alarm system.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jl_mendoza
jlmendoza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2005, 10:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)

I was having lotsa trouble getting my FIPL set. So, I followed Jerrys advice and bought a $29 RadioShack VOM. When I set the FIPL with new VOM then checked it with my $6 dollar VOM. It was showing 1.4 volts where the new RC VOM showed 1.0 ! Not a lot of difference but it was enough that I couldn't get the E4DOA to shift into overdrive. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]Baja
<font color="red">1987 F350, 4X4, Crew Cab, DRW, w/'91 7.3 TURBO-CHARGED BY ATS, no-Wastegate(Turbo rebuilt by me 7/2005)</font>, <font color="blue">E4OD Auto, Aux Trans Cooler w/12" fan, w/Baumann Programable Trans Computer-12/05</font>, Rebuilt Injection Pump-2/03, Electric Fuel Pump, Coolant Filter, "BajaGringo Block Drains, 5-Row Radiator Core-9/04, 2 New Plastic Fuel Tanks w/new Sending Units/Pickups, Fuel Filler Neck Mods, Air Ram Intake, Air-Lift SuperDuty AirBags with Smart Lift Auto Leveling-7/2005 <font color="blue">Link to Photo of "OkieGringo Idler Pulley"</font>
<font color="red">Link to GP Controller Diagram</font> <font color="blue">Link to "Electric Fuel Pump Wiring Diagram"</font>
OkieGringo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2005, 10:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if you can pop the end off the TCIL light and change the bulb........ or just replace the whole arm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the end of the shifter lever pops off in order to replace the bulb for the OD indicator. I checked my spec. book and it lists every bulb in the truck, except that one. Sorry. Tim
Old 06-20-2005, 05:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

I checked the FIPL sensor with my Sears $25 digital VOM - 0.97v at idle position an 3.6 V at the full throttle postion . I pressume that there is probably +-5% error with the instrument . Are these measurements close enough or should I adjust ( and / or replace ) the sensor ? -thanks
rkpatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2005, 06:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Those numbers look good. How does it shift? Nice firm shift is what you're after.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

I would definitely go the 1.05-1.10vdc and the minimum of the 3.83-4.3vdc &amp; see if the shifting improves before speding the $35-$65 for a new one. Me When I started having problems with the tranny again, I couldn't remember how old that fipl was so, I replaced it as cheap insurance/preventative maint. &amp; kept the previous one as emergency spare in truck toolbox. Your Sears DVOM should tell you it's accuracy specs, or you can look them up online to know what to expect from it, then take some reference voltages to see.
I realize what we're talking about are minimal voltage changes, but, if every thing else is set right, those few 0.xxVDC makes a heck of difference in how firmly &amp; how well at least how my E40D shifts (your mileage/experiences may vary [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img])

jerry
'91 F350 CC,7.3NA w/K&N,E40D(rebuilt--way too many times), 2WD,3.55 rear end,new IP,new u-joints & carrier bearing, new rotors, new calipers, new drums & hdware, added Auburn limited slip unit (2/8/05)w/valvoline synth 80-90w, new batt.cables,new window motors,new radiator & hoses, 500K, (new injectors)+ mi (now 678K miles)& still Truck'n. If I can fix it, it ain't broke, I'd rather do it myself.(yes, I add,stanadyne, lucas or power sytems fuel additive in every tank, w/maybe 1-2x year full big bottle dose split between both tanks). New tires & pretty wheels, front end rebuild 3/17/05. Bilsteins added 6/12/05. New motor mounts & valve cover gaskets (9/06.)Future hopes finally fixing my electric door locks & adding remote entry/alarm system.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jl_mendoza
jlmendoza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2005, 09:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

The shift is a little softer than I would like it to be . The meter is supposed to be +-5% . Would adjusting the TPL / FIPL sensor to a slightly slightly higher voltage settings make it shift firmer ? - Thanks
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.