4w hi - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4w hi

It snowed the other day and i put my truck in 4 hi and between 5-15 mph it would kick out and make a loud grinding sound until I pushed it out. Any ideas where to start would be greatly appreciated. Its a 5sp
u795846 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

Had the same problem with a couple different trucks and I've seen it before on several others. Sounds to me like your shift fork is going bad in your transfer case. Didn't used to cost much to fix not sure about now, especially in my area, those Borg Warner cases are hard to find
1992 F- 250 ZF 5spd,4wd,7.3 idi, K&N air filter, Holley red electric fuel pump, 3/55 gears, Lund cab visor, Ranchhand headache rack, diamond steel bed rails, American Racing aluminium wheels,gooseneck ball in bed, v-5 hitch,cab lights.Almost done with my conversion, reg cab L-bed to ext cab s-bed lookin good Motor is out of '91 F-Superduty unknown miles ,280,000 on truck. also got a 1999.5 F-250 Superduty,7.3 powerstroke,automatic transmission,xlt lariet,extend cab long bed (big truck), 150,000 miles,v-5 hitch
93blklightning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
Year? Model? Engine? Trans?
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

I ordered parts for my BW t-case from Inland Truck Parts. Not sure where you are located but they have locations through out the central US.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

4w hi

Sorry new to this. Its a 1990 f250 7.3 idi 5sp 4wd. Doesnt do it in 4 lo just 4 hi

Last edited by u795846; 01-23-2013 at 02:41 PM. Reason: didnt put model in
Old 01-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Only has 121000 mi
Old 01-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

I would guess its the shifting fork as well, very common on these trucks. The t-case is pretty easy to remove and work on. When you open it up you will be able to tell right away if the fork is worn. I bought one from ITP, who I mentioned in my post above, for less then $40.00 about 2 years ago.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
There are parts in there that wear and without taking it apart, you won't really know. Common things are worn plastic bushings on the forks, worn or cracked forks, or broken springs under the detent balls.
2005 F-350 CC, LB, 4x4, Dually, 6.0 Powerstroke, Torqueshift, 4:10 Gears. Gooseneck and rear pull hitches. "Truck Covers USA" roll up aluminum tonneau cover. Putco Boss Running Boards. Aluminum finned diff covers. Bilstein HD shocks. ProComp steering stabilizer. XRF ball joints. NC Hornet CCV mod. RCD egr delete kit. AirDog fuel system. Strictly Diesel's regulated fuel and coolant return lines kits. Amsoil oil bypass (by NUC Motorsports) and homebuilt coolant bypass kits. CFM intake elbow. ARP head studs with factory gaskets and all upgrades. FICM by Ed with Atlas 40 tune, DC Power 185 amp alternator, MBRP 304SS "Cool Dual" exhaust system. SCT Livewire tuner with pyrometer. Autometer 'A' pillar gauges (Boost/Trans temp/Pyrometer/Fuel Pressure). 850 CCA Motorcraft Batteries. Using Rotella T-6 synthetic oil. Upgraded degas tank and cap. Hayes deep aluminum trans pan. GoGo Diesel modified direct clutch solenoid. Retro Solutions HID head and fog lights. High idle mod. Jimmi-Jammers. +More.
fordsforever73 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Before you decide it's internal you might want to check the detent plate that's bolted to the case. I bought my truck brand new so I know nobody had been screwing around with it, but the first snow when I used 4WD HI mine did the same thing. When checking it out, I found the notched detent plate that the 4WD shift lever tab locks into was mis-made and not matched to the 4WD Hi position in the transfer case. In other words, the plate was only letting the shift rod engage partially in 4WD in the transfer case so it would pop out of gear under any load although the lever was fully seated in the 4WD position in the detent plate. Since the plate isn't adjustable like most are, I just filed the notch down to allow full engagement and it's been OK ever since.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

4w hi

Thanks so much for all the resonses. Lmjd I think that could be it. Its almost like its not shifting far enough back to fully engage. But on another note I bought the truck off of a co worker who has a tendency to be a "little" lazy. It had 98000 mi on it when i bought it from him. Could there be any chance that gear oil has lost its viscosity and needs to be filled or changed?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #11 (permalink)

Glad you understood my post. I didn't think I put it in very understandable terms, kind of hard to describe in print, would have been much easier if we were laying under my pickup and I could point out what I did.
I'd sure change all the fluid in the gearboxes and differential. They're supposed to be changed about every 80,000 anyway. Plus a '90 with only 90,000 on it is a bit suspicious, my '91 has 245,000 on it and that's without using it much in the last 5 years since I bought a new 1/2 ton.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Can you see the plate on the outside of transfer case or is it internal?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #13 (permalink)

No, it's on the outside, easy to see. It's been so long since I fixed mine I can't really remember without crawling under it, but I probably put it in 4WD high, then disconnected the shift rod (that goes into the transfer case) from the shift lever and then either pushed or pulled on the rod and found that when engaging with the shift lever it wasn't fully "notched" in gear in the case .
Old 01-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

There is also a pump in the t case. They tend to fail because their anchored to a slot in the case and the tab comes out spins and causes all sort of problems. You'll see it when you open it up. Very easy to work on

1975 CJ5 AMC 360 Boxed frame, shackle reverse and sprung over, YJ springs, Twin stick D20 with D18 low range gears, NP435 Waggy axles 538 gears, on board air, welder and shower, GM throttle body injection

2004 Jaguar XJ8

2004 Heritage Softail

2009 Road King
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
There is also a pump in the t case. They tend to fail because their anchored to a slot in the case and the tab comes out spins and causes all sort of problems. You'll see it when you open it up. Very easy to work on
Also, the hose that comes off the pump, kind of sits loose in the case and can get torn by the chain. It will lead to lack of lubrication. I've used steel brake tubing in it's place...formed it to fit tighter to the case, away from the chain.
2005 F-350 CC, LB, 4x4, Dually, 6.0 Powerstroke, Torqueshift, 4:10 Gears. Gooseneck and rear pull hitches. "Truck Covers USA" roll up aluminum tonneau cover. Putco Boss Running Boards. Aluminum finned diff covers. Bilstein HD shocks. ProComp steering stabilizer. XRF ball joints. NC Hornet CCV mod. RCD egr delete kit. AirDog fuel system. Strictly Diesel's regulated fuel and coolant return lines kits. Amsoil oil bypass (by NUC Motorsports) and homebuilt coolant bypass kits. CFM intake elbow. ARP head studs with factory gaskets and all upgrades. FICM by Ed with Atlas 40 tune, DC Power 185 amp alternator, MBRP 304SS "Cool Dual" exhaust system. SCT Livewire tuner with pyrometer. Autometer 'A' pillar gauges (Boost/Trans temp/Pyrometer/Fuel Pressure). 850 CCA Motorcraft Batteries. Using Rotella T-6 synthetic oil. Upgraded degas tank and cap. Hayes deep aluminum trans pan. GoGo Diesel modified direct clutch solenoid. Retro Solutions HID head and fog lights. High idle mod. Jimmi-Jammers. +More.
fordsforever73 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.