7.3 hard to start when hot - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 08:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 hard to start when hot

Iv got a 93 7.3, it runs great, has no problem starting when its cold. but when its been run for a little and the engine bay is hot or even on hot days it gives me a hard time starting. I was told that its possibly a fuel injecton pump, but i dont want to start throwing parts at it before im sure of what it is.
Any help would be appreciated
flatbedford350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2009, 10:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

My guess would be the injection pump. When the engine is warm you could try to pour some luke warm water over the pump to cool it down a bit, and see how it starts then.

1985 Toyota Landcruiser BJ60, 5 bearing cam 3B 4cyl diesel, H55F trans. Best rig I have ever owned.

1981 Honda Trail 110.
Kevin 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

if you pour water on make sure it is luke warm, not cold. cold water on hot metal = bad news.

I had the same problem you were having and when I knew I was going to have trouble I would use an electric fan (safer than water). Just let the fan run for about 15 minutes and you would be good to go.

Will it start after about a 5 minute or so shut down? I've heard that diesel fuel acts as a coolant and the real problems occur after say a 15 minute shut down. This is when the heat from the engine block gets up into the IP and shuts it down.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
It can also be your starter. When it's hot you have more resistance and the starter can't turn it over fast enough. Pull and inspect the starter, particularly the bushing end of the starter.

Paul - Pocono Mtns. USA
02 E350 15 Passenger Cream Puff, 72,000 Miles, 5.4L Gasser

'90 E350 7.3L Ex-Ambulance High Top 420K Miles, No Turbo, Stock Stock stock, No ELC! (Extended Life Coolant) & 10 Oz. Bars Stop Leak. 10 wonderful cool years using Freeze12 without any AC system modifications. Retired 11/8/2011 with blown trans.

Drunk Driving - America's #1 Form Of Terrorism!
Snotzalot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 10:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Mine was the injection pump. Worn tolerances getting to big when hot to start. It ran fine but couldn't build enough pressure when cranking to start. Started fine cold. My injection pump guy said he'd seen a lot like this lately and felt it might be the new ULSD. He tells me he adds 1 quart ATF at every fillup on his rig. I did a final test on mine before sending it out for a rebuild, 80% waste motor oil / 20% diesel, it worked fine and started cold and hot which seems to back his theory of warm tolerances. That blend is way heavier than I ever run, kind of like putting heavier oil in a worn out engine for better oil pressure, it's just a bandaid on the real problem. Not running any WMO right now as I'm building a centrifuge to make sure all the metal particles are out of the oil then I'll filter to 0.5micron absolute and run less than 50%. Just a side note.
1986 F350 Crew Cab 2wd SRW. 1991 7.3 IDI, T-19 4spd Sterling 10.25 4.10 rear, kingpin D60 4.10 front, 12" HD clutch. A Banks waste gated turbo. Midwest rebuilt IP turned up. AC Delco 6.5 GM 12V GP's, working great. Running W80-W85 high performance zero-gel black diesel! 4wd and dually conversion is done. Washer mod on the D60 kingpins eliminated the death wobble. Custom 10" C-channel front bumper with military D-rings front and rear. Pintle hitch, receiver hitch, and goose neck hitch. 7800lbs full of fuel....
rsr911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2009, 05:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
He tells me he adds 1 quart ATF at every fillup on his rig.
Ford now recommends Power Service with every fill up.

Paul - Pocono Mtns. USA

'90 E350 7.3L Ex-Ambulance High Top 420K Miles, No Turbo, Stock Stock stock, No ELC! (Extended Life Coolant) & 10 Oz. Bars Stop Leak. 10 wonderful cool years using Freeze12 without any AC system modifications. Retired 11/8/2011 with blown trans.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotzalot View Post
Ford now recommends Power Service with every fill up.

What is Power Service? I assume some sort of top end lubricant? I'll have to do a search and get the MSDS.
1986 F350 Crew Cab 2wd SRW. 1991 7.3 IDI, T-19 4spd Sterling 10.25 4.10 rear, kingpin D60 4.10 front, 12" HD clutch. A Banks waste gated turbo. Midwest rebuilt IP turned up. AC Delco 6.5 GM 12V GP's, working great. Running W80-W85 high performance zero-gel black diesel! 4wd and dually conversion is done. Washer mod on the D60 kingpins eliminated the death wobble. Custom 10" C-channel front bumper with military D-rings front and rear. Pintle hitch, receiver hitch, and goose neck hitch. 7800lbs full of fuel....
Old 11-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hmm, a mix of aliphatic and aromatic hydrocarbons with petroleum distillates. Sounds like solvent and light oil to me. Pretty low flash point as well.

POWER SERVICE DIESEL FUEL SUPPLEMENT +CETANE BOOST

vinyl acetate
ethylbenzene
naphthalene
xylene
1,2,4-trimethylbenzene
petroleum distillates

I've used napthalene as an additive in my blends as well as acetone and turpentine in very low percentages. The more I dig the more I find there are issues with older engines and ULSD, especially engines with injection pumps. I also keep finding evidence that ATF is a great additive, or even a great fuel when properly thinned with D2 or kero. It would be interesting to see a study comparing the lubricant properties of regular diesel to ULSD. These pumps are lubricated as well as cooled by the fuel, take away lubricating capacity and it would be no surprise that the pumps wear faster. The same goes for those running blends, homebrew bio, SVO, if they don't take proper steps to dewater and remove all particulate they will see premature wear as well. I tested some of one of my blends on a lab centrifuge as was shocked at the particulate I found after my filtration process, shocked enough to stop using it until I finish my centrifuge. Anyway it would seem like cheap insurance (about $0.10/gal) to add ATF to a full tank. Besides that I've never heard of ATF gelling so it might help that issue in colder climates.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

Recommended mix is what 3oz. per 10 gallons? Doesn't sound like dilution to me.

Power Service Products

Many of us have used Power Service for years, probably the most widely used additive on the market.

Paul - Pocono Mtns. USA

Last edited by Snotzalot; 11-04-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotzalot View Post
Recommended mix is what 3oz. per 10 gallons? Doesn't sound like dilution to me.

Power Service Products

Many of us have used Power Service for years, probably the most widely used additive on the market.
I wasn't thinking of it as a diluant as much as I was thinking lubricant. The website makes a statement in regard to lubrication.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.