7.3 IDI custom turbo camshaft - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2005, 03:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 IDI custom turbo camshaft

I really kick myself everyday since I let go a sale on ebay for a custom ground turbo grind for 7.3 diesel, I cant find any manufacture that makes a specific camshaft for this engine.
Is there not enough 6.9/7.3 owners that have turbo charged thier engines to attract any intrest to any cam manufactures to make a grind for us guys? geez why has it been so many years that have gone by and no turbo grind cam been made?
I guess its simple enough to send in a core to the manufacture of your choice and have it reground for less than $500
Javier
Evans NPG coolant.
AMSOIL ATF in the transmission, AMSOIL gear oil in the diff.
20MPG city 25/28 hwy
IDIABUSE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2005, 04:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Re: 7.3 IDI custom turbo camshaft

ya--then you may have to buy longer pushrods--as when they regrind--the lobe center changes--because of regrind height--dont know if there even available--
94 f250 idi turbo sc e4od alum fac rims 149,289 --dana 60 frt with posi--10.25 rear w/posi--shouldnt get stuck!! ats turbo 3" parts on--what a diff from stock turbo!!!!!--- also 96 F250 with 305,000 is fixed!!-- 7.3 rattler-also 85 6.9-needs new engine!! tired!!
94_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2005, 02:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

that is not even a problem, custom made pushrods are not hard to find, especially .080 wall ball ball pushrods, the camshaft is the problem
Javier
Evans NPG coolant.
20MPG city 25/28 hwy
Old 10-10-2005, 03:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't recall ever hearing anyone talk about cams when it comes to diesel performance. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] I'd like to know the specs and performance results. More turbo doesn't overcome any flow issues? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
krawlr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2005, 10:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (23)

I'm not an expert on this, so I can't quote verse on the hows and whys, but I've read enough to be convinced that cam changes do not benefit our diesel. Unlike a gas engine, which is always fooling with the air to fuel ratio, a diesel uses just as much air at idle, as it does at full speed. The idea is to get as much air into the cylinder as possible. Having valves that open later or sooner will do nothing to accomplish this, and since the turbocharger is pushing the air in at high presure, the air flow issues at the speeds our engines turn is not that much a factor. Since we can already overboost, there is no restriction to remove to increase performance at this level.
agnem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2005, 11:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Porting and polishing the complete intake and exhaust will help lots. Make the system slippery so the compressed air doesn't "drag" on the passages. You will increase the flow and thats what we need. Faster air in and faster air out. These motors can work with a highly polished intake system unlike a gasser motor. We don't have any fuel going thru the intake manifold . It injects into the precups after compression. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
89 7.3 crewcab w/ Banks Sidewinder Wastegated Turbo. 4 inch straight piped. BTS E4OD trans with 2 extra gallons of ATF in a Mag Hy-Tec pan. Gear Vendors. Rodney Red custom aluminum radiator. Moose Pump with "G' injectors. Motor rebuilt with new after market ported heads. Mahle low comp pistons milled 12 thousands. Balanced to 1/4 to 1/3 gram. Lined bored. Block decked and sleeved on all 8. Shimed oil pump for higher pressure. Intake and exhaust logs ported too. Hypermax in shop waiting to be installed later....
icanfixall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2005, 04:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

I deffinatly agree with u on that icanfixall. I know more about gas motors then diesel, but a motor is a motor. No matter how the fuel gets ignited. Porting and polishing is a good way to get some extra power. And as far as a cam goes, What would benefit a diesel most is one that holds the valves open for a longer period of time to take advantage of more air even a little more valve lift would be good too. A cam doesent meter air/fuel. Just how much of a shot of that air/fuel mix the cylinder gets. I have seen cams for cummins. And i may be able to dig up cams for a 7.3 as well. unfortunatly from what ive seen these things are around 1000 bucks!! I'll do some research on the cams in all my "diesel parts" website's ive got saved. I know Ive seen them somewhere! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
* 1992 F-250 supercab XLT 4x4 7.3 auto 3.55 open rear 170K miles, Westin Nerf bars, Silvania Silverstar headlight bulbs (VERY NICE!) Mile Marker SS hubs, piped, cranked and cut! Dimondplate toolbox, Pioneer cd player. And 16-18MPG backroad/town/highway driving!
Friends truck
* 1988 (originaly) F-250 regular cab 7.3 C-6 auto 4x4 4.11 posi rear.
Custom mods: Dana 60 front, ZF-5speed, Banks Turbo kit with Boost, Pyro, and Oil Temp, F-350 Badging, 93 front clip, F-150 Lightning seats (oh those are nice seats!) CD Player, 2 10" subs, custom 4 inch exhaust, soon to be 5" stacks! Turned up IP
Ford makes it, International shakes it!

Diesel exhaust make me (censored) baby!
Barebackcwby2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2005, 11:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I am building a 7.3 with ATS wastgated kit on it . I use Delta cams in Tacoma WA for my cams, Anyhow they said they have a profile that they grind on na engines and the turbos like it too. I am going to have mine done and see what it does. They said the amount is minimal as not to be issues with pushrods. They wouldnt tell me the specs, cant really blame them there. I have used many of thier regroung flat tappet cams and they do all my detroit cams no problems so far.
hope this helps out

made 218hp/461tq on a mustang dyno lasst dec with 80k on the rebuild
pyro,boost and all stock guages ignored with mechanical real ones
Fugitive sandrail. type 4 2840 turbo fi, lots of fun

PM please not visitor message
typefour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2005, 12:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

porting and polishing will help any motor even forced induction because all your boost gauge does is read how much back preasure there is in the intake if you have a big restriction then port and polish it out your boost will drop because now its not holding up air flow but you will have the same volume of air now you can raise your boost this will work untill the back preasure your boost gauge is reading is from stuffing the cylinders with as much air as you can. The custom grind camshaft on ebay was probally for a PSD our motors do not have enough clearence for more lift and too much overlap will hurt on a forced induction motor [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

96 F-350 4x4 regularcab dually 5spd 4.10LS [color:"red"]Home made Bumper[/color]DIY open air intake hypermax dp 4" exhaust DIY exhaust brake [color:"red"]Dump bed[/color]

93 F-250 factory turbo 4x4 extended cab [color:"blue"]MyPics[/color] 4.10 5spd K&N filter ATS outler and down pipe 3in exhaust to twin 5" stacks tweaked wastegate turned up pump LUK clutch boost and pyro and much more to come[color:"blue"]Mickey Thompsons classic II 265 75 16 Courser C/T[/color]

Ford makes it IH shakes it

Don't worry about the mule just load the wagon

93turbo'd_animal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2005, 01:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

there isnt much room to port anything in the 6.9/7.3 cylinder heads.
the ports are large and well laid out and sized, the intake can use some radiusing on the hat flange and thats about it.

the combustion chamber can be modified to lower compression.

the camshft on ebay was custom ground turbo cam for 6.9/7.3 engine and it sold for $289.00 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/depressed.gif[/img]
Javier
Evans NPG coolant.
20MPG city 25/28 hwy
Old 10-12-2005, 01:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

IDIbuse... Don't shortcut the precups. They can be "opend" up some and the precup chambers in the heads can use some cheanup and polish work to reflect heat. I will be raising my chambers .060 and opening them up some. I had a custom ball end mill ground just for this. Things will-be-a-shinein when there down. Yes... Pictures of before and after are always coming. Everything I do is posted here for everyone to use free of charge as always. The more IDI's I see kicking butt on the PSD's the more I laugh..... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
89 7.3 crewcab w/ Banks Sidewinder Wastegated Turbo. 4 inch straight piped. BTS E4OD trans with 2 extra gallons of ATF in a Mag Hy-Tec pan. Gear Vendors. Rodney Red custom aluminum radiator. Moose Pump with "G' injectors. Motor rebuilt with new after market ported heads. Mahle low comp pistons milled 12 thousands. Balanced to 1/4 to 1/3 gram. Lined bored. Block decked and sleeved on all 8. Shimed oil pump for higher pressure. Intake and exhaust logs ported too. Hypermax in shop waiting to be installed later....
Old 10-12-2005, 01:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

isnt the prechambers made out of some hard steel, and is part of the fire ring on the head gasket?
the ball end mill is to open up the chamber from the inside?

seems like the combustion chamber side of the precup isnt worth touching due to the sharp edges and small hole, to do anything to that it will be completely changed from oem and I wasnt about to fool with that without a plan.

what part are you going to raise.060? I think I get it.
Javier
Evans NPG coolant.
20MPG city 25/28 hwy
Old 10-13-2005, 11:13 AM   #13 (permalink)

Yes. The precups are made from inconel I think. The small port that the fire flows thru has been opened up and the inside of it have been cleaned up. The ball end mill is used to deepen the chamber in the head because Ford raised the injectors .060 years ago trying to make the motors run cleaner. Darn EPA. If the chambers are all the same, then the power will be balanced betewwn cylinders. My chambers vary from 1.747 to 1.722. When done they will all be the same depth and the same CC size. Each diameter is closer but kinda ruff so they will all be the same when done also. The angle of the precup port will be maintained so the fire will continue its same path, just more will flow thru it during powerstroke. Sorry, I couldn't think of a better word. Yes... The flame suit is on...... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vulnerable.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2005, 12:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (23)

It's acceptable with a space.

power stroke.

Not powerstroke. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
agnem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2005, 01:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bleh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.