7.3 IDI with an EXHAUST BRAKE - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2006, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 IDI with an EXHAUST BRAKE

I know they say your not supposed to use and exhaust brake on a 7.3l but I was wondering if anyone is useing one, or has used one on their truck. I'm just curious because I have seen them on other fords but never had the chance to talk with the owners.
Are they worth the cost? Has anyone had any bad experiances with one?
Any thoughts on this?
94 F-350 CREW, FACTORY TURBO IDI, 10PSI BOOST, 3in STRAIGHT PIPE EXHAUST w/ BANKS DOWN PIPE, K/N FILTER, AUTOMETER GAUGES, BUILT E4OD, 4.10 gears, 200,000MI. 6 245-75-R16 TERRA-TRAC M/T's 2-KC DAYLIGHTERS
Ironman03R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2006, 02:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 7.3 IDI with an EXHAUST BRAKE

Ironman,
I have had a US Gear Ex. break for a year and a half on my 6.9 w/3" exh. no muffler, [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] and it works great. At higher RPM it stops the truck almost like a panic stop. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Dan
Old 01-12-2006, 10:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey Dan
I found the us gear website. Did you really pay $1200. for their exhaust brake?? Thats a crazy price. I want an exhaust brake in the worst way but I cant justify spending 1200. bucks for one of those. Any other suggestions for an E brake?? I have a 94 F350 CC dually with the 7.3 IDI Thanks
1993 F350 Dually CrewCab 7.3l IDI XLT. Bone stock but the possiblities are ENDLESS. Added a triple pillar pod for pyro, trans temp and boost. Coolant bypass with upgraded coolant. Added the Cowl Induction intake on the fire wall, and Im workin on more stuff! I think Im addicted!!
KillerK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2006, 04:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

i have always wanted one for pulling through the mountian passes in alaska. Does anyone know if there is a cost effective way for renforcing the top end to accomodate a EB?

--Ryan
Old 01-13-2006, 03:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

I had looked at them when I owned The Enterprise but never could justify the cost... Then I got my current truck which it had one on it when I purchased it and whoa boy I should have added one to The E long ago. I will not own another diesel without one period.

Now on mine I upgraded the exhaust springs so that I could plug up the hole in the butterfly so that I could get more braking power from it. I'm sure that we were to measure out the exhaust springs on an IDI then contact a spring manufacturer that they might have something that could be put in it's place that would have more spring tension that could work. What I would do is find out the specs of the stocker springs then contact someone like Crane Cams or K-Motion or the like to see if they have a valve spring that fits the bill. Never know they might have something...
Old 01-13-2006, 09:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know if there is a cost effective way for renforcing the top end to accomodate a EB?

--Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]
Ryan
I dont honestly believe that there is a need to do anything to the top end. Ive been doing extensive research to buy one and nobody has even mentioned the top end. There was some concern from the manufacturer of the original JAKE BRAKE, about lifter damage because they are hydrolic not solid but everybody that Ive spoken to, that has them, say they work great. The basic principal is that they restrict exhaust flow out of the motor causing it to slow down. I just havent found one priced right for me. I refuse to pay $1200. for one made by US GEAR. If you find any cheaper or from another maker let me know, Im having some trouble. Good Luck
1993 F350 Dually CrewCab 7.3l IDI XLT. Bone stock but the possiblities are ENDLESS. Added a triple pillar pod for pyro, trans temp and boost. Coolant bypass with upgraded coolant. Added the Cowl Induction intake on the fire wall, and Im workin on more stuff! I think Im addicted!!
Old 01-14-2006, 02:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

BD (diesel/performance) sell inline exhaust brakes.I think they are around $1000/$1100 Canadian dollars...The have a good web-site and brochures on all there products..

Cory
1967 Mustang T/A replica..289 4spd
1964 Mustang 289 4spd
diamondtguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2006, 12:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've got a BD exhaust brake on my truck. It has been *very* useful when going down the mountain passes on the Alacan when I'm pulling fully loaded trailers. Spendy, but definitely worth it if you're doing lots of mountainous terrain with trailers.

Peter
1988 F-350 7.3L Diesel, 130k, CC, SRW, 4x4, ZF5, 4.10 gears, Gearvendors Overdrive, Detroit True-Tracs in front and rear diffs, Banks Sidewinder Turbo, LUK flywheel, BD Power Exhaust Brake, IP turned up, 9' dump flatbed.
Peter C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2006, 09:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have had my US GEAR Exhaust brake since 1999. The brake is great in the mountains. It will save you from frying the truck service brakes when you come down a long steep grade. I know because I did it one time. If it saves you from boiling your brake fluid and loosing your brake once it will pay for itís self.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

Rich2
I paid $850 for a 3" HD w/ the bypass valve. this was 2.5 years ago & worth every penny. Try driving a truck with one, you will be imprested. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

Dan
Old 01-16-2006, 11:47 AM   #11 (permalink)

I found one in the "for sale" section of this site. The gentleman wants $250. for a jacobs brake plus shipping. I would still need to get an air compressor set up to run the actuator and a micro switch to have it work automatically when I throw the switch. meaning that if the switch is activated, whenever I took my foot off the pedal, it would automatically turn the brake on. He also recommends a torque lock up and I would need to buy flanges for my exhaust becaue the inlet/outlet are 4" so I would have that issue as well. so Im loking at the floowing expenses.
$305. shipped to the door
$150. for an air compressor set up with a tank(which I could use for my future air ride system)
$40. for the microswitch
$25. for the flanges
$25. misc. for wiring, cab switch fuse link ect.

Is this worth the trouble or shold I just get the whole kit from US gear or something like that. The more I type the more I wonder if its worth my aggravation??? some advice PLEASE!!
Old 01-16-2006, 01:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

Call U.S. Gear--- 1-800 8473271. They match their brake to specific valve spring loads.I think thats the only safe way to run one.They are friendly people.I bought mine from a TDS member pretty reasonable.it works pretty good [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
Cool 1988 F250,4x2 XLT extended cab,rebuilt 444cu inch,naturally aspirated IDI,5speed gearrower,aluminum radiator,facet dura lift "trans/cold"electric lift pump,99%pure virgin lead batteries,13" Sachs clutch,exhaust brake,lighted running boards,cab roof lights,! cb radio,guage whore,dueling pyrometers,-- persons+engine+gear=6990lbs!13-19mpg.
pontoonrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2006, 01:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

my brother uses one that just turns the warm-up valve into the exhaust brake. slows him down great and he has no issues fo 70k miles and about 5 years. he bought a kit from somewhere that uses a coouple relays and some wiring. it is all just plug and play sort of stuff. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
bryonl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2006, 03:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

[ QUOTE ]
my brother uses one that just turns the warm-up valve into the exhaust brake. slows him down great and he has no issues fo 70k miles and about 5 years. he bought a kit from somewhere that uses a coouple relays and some wiring. it is all just plug and play sort of stuff. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

On the PSD with the backpressure valve you can do this but an IDI does not have such an animal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.