The Diesel Stop banner

7.3 startup noise

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  levi1a 
#1 ·
Bear with my guys I am new to these things, and I always have worked on my own rigs so gotta learn a new system. Got in the rig today after work. Engine should have still been fairly warm, and the glow plugs are on a push button now so I didn't hit em. Fired right up first crank idle was normal at first, then it got a strange knock/high idle. Sorta sounded like a diesel that had been hit with ether?? I have done my homework and searched around, but not really came up with much as far as answers any idea? Should I light the glow plugs everytime before I fire it up regardless of wether I "' think "the cylinder are still warm?

#3 ·
Engine should have still been fairly warm, and the glow plugs are on a push button now so I didn't hit em.
Why did you put in a push button....... why did you not leave the Solid State GP controller automatically do what is needed when needed. Any idea what GPs are installed?

You could have set the high idle on the start depending on what engine temperature really was........thus the higher idle.

Does the truck start normally when cold with no noise.

#4 ·
Sounds like the high idle/timing advance circuit was on. Did you start it without depressing the go pedal? Did it idle normal until the first time you pressed the pedal, then kick up? Did the idle settle down and did the knock go away after a few minutes? If so, that's probably what happened. IIRC, the idle/advance switch is closed (on) any time coolant temperature is <112°F.

#5 ·
Air leak is possible I guess because I did just change the fuel filter. It does it regardless of throttle setting during startup, and cold or warm. I thought the fast idle was controlled by depressing the pedal. It is nasty sounding knock/miss. I can make it quit if I blip the throttle a few times, or hold it at about a grand for a sec. Another thing I may mention that may not mean much , but worth mentioning is I just put some diesel slick cetane boost in the tank before it started this. I used the white bottle which I now realize is for winter and it is pretty warm here now.

#6 ·
How much did you pour in to how much fuel.......

Possibly could make a slight rattle like advanced timing....... but I run straight fuel additive when I replace my fuel filter.......I always fill filter before installation with Hayes diesel treat or Power service Silver bottle.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.