The Diesel Stop banner

’92 F250 7.3...Starting Problem

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  dyrtbyrd 
#1 ·
Truck wouldn’t crank so tried remote starter between two heavy lugs on starter relay mounted behind battery in eng. compartment and it did crank normally. Then took voltage reading at lighter connector on relay with someone turning key on and got nothing. Unless I’m wrong, this tells me problem must be in ignition switch (electrical portion, not key switch itself). Am I figuring right?

Thanks
Bill

#2 ·
#3 ·
There is an item called an ignition switch actuator... do you get power key on to all the rest of the vehicle. Under the top plastic cover of the steering column is where the actuator sits..... if it is broken you can use a screwdriver to push the most forward part to start the truck.....key on.

If this is NOT your problem check for fuses and fusible links cab and engine compartment.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I am getting power, key on, to the rest of the vehicle, based on fact that all my dash momentary lights come on as they normally would.

How do I remove that top plastic cover of the steering column? Started to remove bottom piece by using a phillips up in the long access holes, thinking that bottom piece had to come out to release top cover but the phillips were extremely tight so I backed off for fear of stripping them out. Figured I better find out the right way before I cause more of a problem.

thanks

#6 ·
As far as I know the phillips screws hold the top and bottom together. I remember a couple of mine being real tight when I had to replace my multifunction switch. You might want to try a few different sizes of scewdrivers to get the best bite on the screw head.

#7 ·
Any new updates on this issue seems im having the same issue only when i try to jump the 2 big posts on the fender mounted relay it only sparks a little, i have two identical trucks now and took the fender mounted relay off the 93 & mounted on the 94 and i get the same ersult. Starter is good but im not sure if bench testing is really reliable? Next is to take off 93 starter and try on the 94.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.