The Diesel Stop banner

'93 7.3L IDI will not start

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Ken Cook 
#1 ·
I have a 93 f450 7.3 idi non turbo. I bought it about a year ago just for farm use. When i bought it the guy told me he had to use a shot of starter fluid to get it running so I figured the glow plug system was bad. he also said that it sometimes would cut out in 4th gear. Just being for farm use I didnt worry about either issue. WHen I got the truck for the first couple of months just like he said a spray of starter fluid and it would fire right up. As I let the truck set longer and longer between uses it got harder to start but once started it ran great, untill it would not start at all.

I have replaced the fuel filter, cleaned up the terminals, changed out the batteries. When i crank it over I see smoke coming out of the exhaust so I know it has to be getting some fuel.

Any Ideas?

#5 ·
Unplug your glow plugs. With an ohm meter, check from a known good ground to the glow plug, it should read no more than .2 ohms. If it reads open, or 0 ohms, it probably isn't any good. 0 0hms means it is shorted, open of course means burned out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.