Join Date: Jan 2007
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
All's well that ends well.
Just thought I'd close this out.
As I'd said above, the batteries had checked out good, as I'd expected, but whereas it would start before with just intermittent not starting, now it wasn't starting at all over a day and a half of trying.. just the clicking at the relay.
I disconnected the negative terminals, and cleaned all the contacts and connections at the relay on the passenger side fender. Reconnected the battery and tried to start it, but got nothing more than clicking at the relay.
Disconnected the battery again and pulled the wiring connections at the starter.. they looked very clean. I removed the starter; just used a long extension to get the top bolt.. had to work out a combination that would clear the end of the starter.. which wasn't too difficult (bolts are 1/2").
I took the started down and had it spin-tested. I know everyone says to have it load tested, but that was close and easy, and I figured it would give me a baseline idea of whether it was in real bad shape or not. Also, though I may be incorrect in this thought, I figured that it couldn't be the solenoid if it spin-tested. In any case, it spin tested fine.
Thought about replacing the relay (only $13), but decided I'd wait til I'd put it back together since electrical parts aren't returnable. Took it back home and disassembled the solenoid from the starter body (had to use an impact breaker on the two phillips head screws and even then it was quite a bit of work to get them to loosen (don't know why they don't use hex heads). I also disassembled the started, blew out the armiture.. there was a lot of carbon dust in the casing.
I put it all back together, reinstalled it, cleaning the contacts before reattaching them.. and it cranked and started fine.. back to it's old self.
So I don't really know what the problem was for sure.. none of the contacts were loose, none were corroded, nothing was seized. I wonder if all the times I smacked the top of the solenoid with the impact breaker had anything to do with it. Something changed in the process of taking it apart and putting it back together.
For as easy as it was to remove the starter.. it was worth going through all of it and being able to finish up with a working starter for zero cost, except for my time.
Thanks for everyone's comments and help.
Last edited by farmtruck250; 04-02-2011 at 06:00 PM.