94 IDI turbo, Quickest easiest way to replace a head gasket, help - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2006, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
94 IDI turbo, Quickest easiest way to replace a head gasket, help

I just 'inherited' the repair of a friend's '94 F350 crew cab 5 speed 4WD longbed that has a nasty puffing out the turbo inlet and blows coolant after runing for about five minutes with the cap off (heavy bubbles). This is the truck my other friend posted about last month that came with the rockers off on one cylinder on the drivers side. It's in my garage now hoodless and I/m looking for any ideas or suggestions about how to get it apart easily. Already thinking about pulling the front clip and maybe popping the motor. Even considered lifting the cab off the frame and leaving the motor in (labor looks about equal) Just getting to the back of the turbo to undo the exhaust has me wanting to pop the cab out of the way.

It also looks like the seals went out on the turbo (oil in the inlet tract, but the air cleaner is dry). The water pump is new too so I suspect the motor had a lot of pressure in it. It's a oily mess.

Any suggestions or prayers;

Thanks

Jamie

1989 F450 7.3 N/A 5 speed wrecker with 5.13's. Removing the bubble gum and tape to fix it correctly...

1986 C30 Crew cab 4 sp 'Frankentruck' Cut it in half and welded on another 1 ton frame and then added a rollback setup. 30'6" monster
ranchero50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2006, 11:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (61)
Re: 94 IDI turbo, Quickest easiest way to replace a head gasket, help

1994 with a manual transmission could be either a power stroke or an IDI turbo (both had TURBO DIESEL badging in 1994) - you mention IDI in your subject but posted in the 94-97 Power Stroke forum. Which engine do you have? It will make a difference in head gasket replacement.

Dave / Believer45

LINK TO LIST OF THE FALLEN

'95 F250 ext cab long bed, PSD, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive, 3.55 gears, 286,000 miles, Edge Evolution CTS (LINK TO MY REVIEW), LUK clutch, homemade REAR BUMPER, open element AIR FILTER, 36" ARE contractor cap. With tools, full of fuel and me on board (300 lbs) steer 3620, drive 3860 total 7480.
Believer45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2006, 12:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Newbe oops on the post. It is an IDI setup, Looks exactly like a friends '84 6.9 with an ATS system. Any way to move the post to where it belongs?

Thanks
Old 08-14-2006, 12:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

I will use the NOTIFY MODERATOR button that is in every post box, the row at the bottom second from the right. One of the moderators should move it to the 7.3 IDI forum.

Good luck with it - sorry I have no experience with the IDI engines.

Dave / Believer45

'95 F250 ext cab long bed, PSD, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive, 3.55 gears, 286,000 miles, Edge Evolution CTS (LINK TO MY REVIEW), LUK clutch, homemade REAR BUMPER, open element AIR FILTER, 36" ARE contractor cap. With tools, full of fuel and me on board (300 lbs) steer 3620, drive 3860 total 7480.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
It also looks like the seals went out on the turbo (oil in the inlet tract, but the air cleaner is dry). The water pump is new too so I suspect the motor had a lot of pressure in it. It's a oily mess.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the oil is after the air cleaner but before the turbo it is most likely from the crankcase vent which goes to the intake on a PowerStroke, I assume the IDI turbo may be the same. If you have a pipe or tube running from one of the valve covers to the intake and the oil starts there your turbo is probably OK.

Dave / Believer45

Old 08-14-2006, 12:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sorry for being rude --

<font color="red">WELCOME TO THE SITE!!!!</font>

Glad to have you here, it is the best technical resource for Ford diesels I have been able to find.

Dave / Believer45

Old 08-14-2006, 02:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

The easiest way that I have found to do head gaskets is to pull the engine and set it in an engine stand. It makes it a lot easier to install the heads without damaging the gaskets.
I would also check the valve guides for wear while you have it apart. The guides seemed to wear real good on some of the older IDI motors. With the engine out, you can also look into the water passage and get a better look at the cylinders to check for a cavitation erosion problem. Wouldn't hurt to clean the oil pan and check for rust spots and repair any leaks at the bottom end. Pull the pan and check the bearings.
Then put in a PSD and start hopping it up [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
trucktech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2006, 02:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (20)

It is a 50/50 deal. Some say pop the motor, others do it in frame. The exhaust may be a pain since it is has been on for 12 years. A year ago I installed a factory ATS on mine. In July on vacation I threw a pushrod on the pass side. We pulled the turbo off and it was not easy, but not too bad. I'm preparing to pull both heads off of mine (a result of, or continuation of my July issues). I'll probably do them in frame.

Of course, it you get real good at it, Hagerstown is not too far away from me!
"Factory Tech" modified E40D, 4R100 trans pan
Dual B&M plate style coolers, 4.10 rear,
Factory ATS turbo, Upgraded down pipe,
housing and elbow, DPS Stage 1 Injectors
Banks exhaust, Isspro and Autometer gauges.

My truck
1996 Shasta 265BH
pafixitman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2006, 03:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)

if it blew the seals, it might just be easier to pull the engine. Your prolly going to want to replace the rear main anyway?

Some pix/ The fleet
Zrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2006, 07:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ok, thanks for the replies, the truck has 173k. Spent the day pulling the motor apart in the truck. Took about three hours to figure out how to get the turbo off, what a piss poor design. Ended up loosening the compressor housing and clocking it to release the intake adapter pipe and then had to remove the compressor housing to remove the oil drainback line. The exhaust band clamp had fallen off so everything was goopy, black and stunk, me included. Had a bear of a time with the injector pump. The valley pan had pushed up around the pump (from the head gasket I hope) and had to be beaten back down the an aluminum punch and BFH. Pulled the plumbing and intake quickly enough after that and popped the drivers head off with a hoist. Head gasket was missing a one inch section between the center cylinder bores so the turbo inlet noise is explaned. Pulled the AC cover to pop the passenger side head off just because and it looked fine. Had some wear / erosion on a couple valve tips on both heads. Bores look fine, I'll clean them up some more in th AM. Buddy has two 7.3 non turbo motors for parts, hopefully the valves are the same. Had one glow plug not want to come out (unscrewed though) and one other that was missing the tip.

I did manage to drop a pushrod down a hidden hole in the lifter valley (heard it thunk on the oil pan) and managed to recover it with a pencil magnet and some patience. Otherwise once the turbo is out of the way it's pretty easy (I did pull the valve stem valves out to lower the truck a couple inches)

Pafixitman, I will pray for you.

FYI I just got finished turning three mid 80's Chevy trucks into a 30.5' crew cab diesel roll back.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

Jamie, thank God you have more patience than me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] And to think, I was almost fortunate enough to do this for him. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
maximumstroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.