Is a 94 IDI Turbo worth the effort. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is a 94 IDI Turbo worth the effort.

Hi All,

Last summer I picked up a nice, stock 94 F250 XLT w/ IDI Turbo. It runs great and has about 140k on it.

I've been told by all the local Diesel mechanics that it is basically what it is. Very limited and is not worth putting an extra dime into. Not even fixing the exhaust/firewall issue. They said it simply can't take more boost or it will leak from every seal. Basically, junk as far as these guys are concerned. I really find it hard to believe.

Before I spend the time an effort trying to get a little more out of this truck, I would like to get a good honest answer from someone.

Is the 7.3 IDI Turbo worth putting money into to get a little more power and mileage? If so, will it put undo strain on the motor and cause problems?

What is the 'real' scoop on the exhaust? I can plainly see it is crimped as it goes by the firewall. Is it worth taking the downpipe off and cutting/welding in a round section and bending the firewall?

ATS says they have no plans on making any more 3" cast elbows between the turbo and the downpipe. Is there an alternative? Does someone else make this or have one for sale?

Thanks in advance for any ideas and knowledge you can pass on!!!

Mark
svrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Welcome to the Diesel Stop

Sounds like your local mechanics are not very well versed in the IDI. It is a pulling MONSTER! Is it worth putting any extra money into it? Depends on if your gonna keep it and what kind of shape the truck is in.

I did the ATS upgrade a little after I bought mine and I can say without a doubt that it sure added some power to my plant. I tow a 9,000 Lb fiver and the exhaust upgrade made all the difference in the world. Lowered my EGT's quite a bit and the turbo spools up faster. I also did the Hypermax "cowl" induction and that helped too.

I have looked at my factory outlet housing and have thought it wouldn't be that hard to cut it and open it up and "fix" that resticted flow. I have spent $$$ on my truck and I wouldn't hesitate to hook up and tow to New York State tomorrow. Did it in '09, so in my humble opinion, spend what you want to make it "yours" and tell them goof balls at the garage they have no idea...These trucks may not make it to the campground first, but they will make it EVERY TIME!!!

Next time you drive by and they are working on a diesel truck, ask them how many times they have worked on the same engine. Lots of members here that have over 500,000 miles on their IDI engines without any engine work.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 12:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Chuck!

I appreciate the info and boost of confidense. I was getting a bit discouraged. I just want to ad a bit more power and maybe a couple mph to boot.

My truck is in great shape and I plan on keeping it for some time. It tows our horse trailer great. I've just heard from some that fixing the exhaust pinch is a big improvement. The diesel shops are saying not-so-much. That doesn't make sense to me as everyone says that diesels need as much flow as you can give them.
I guess I'll look for a way to modify the downpipe. It appears that this is the easiest and best mod.
Is there a way to add boost on the stock turbo? I understand you don't wan to go too high. With the stcok setup at 2 - 3 psi, it seems a bit on the weak side. Would 5 - 6 be a practical level that would help performance and yet not affect dependability or longevity?

...or turn up the fuel?

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2011, 06:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
The stock turbo is NOT limited to 2-3 psi. At 2800 RPM no-load the turbocharger should make at least 5 psi at the test port, I can't tell where that is from the lousy picture in my turbo addendum. From what I understand the wastegate is set for somewhere around 9-11 psi stock but it doesn't say here.

Apparently E40D-equipped factory IDI turbos have a different trans control module, got to get me one of them

Last edited by drinkypoo; 04-28-2011 at 07:11 AM.
drinkypoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 01:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to kwcat Send a message via Yahoo to kwcat
Yes if you are planning on keeping the truck, invest the money, these diesels run great, there are IDI engines out there that went 1,000,000 miles my 91 IDI has 267,000 on it runs like a top may put a turbo on it, not sure yet I have had the truck since 1999 bought it when I worked at a Ford dealer with 123,000 on it owner was also a diesel mechanic and traded it in for a 99 F350 power stroke, my 95 power stroke has 115,000 on it and is down with a HPOP problem! but with the miles on yours before you do any turbo work may also want to replace the injection pump before you do the turbo!
Old 04-28-2011, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Getting more out of the IDI w/stock Turbo

Thanks for the info!

I'll see what I can do to fix the downpipe and whatever else to suit my needs. The toughest thing it needs to do is tow the horse trailer...probably 6000 lbs loaded up. If I need to commute to my desk job in it, it would be nice to squeek out a few more MPG. It gets about 14-15 now, no matter what it is doing.

Looking at the power specs, it is disturbing to see only a 5 hp gain over the non-turbo. that's just not right!
It shouldn't be too difficult or expensive to get another 50 hp or so and 100+ torque.

Thanks again for your advice!
Old 04-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
Looking at the power specs, it is disturbing to see only a 5 hp gain over the non-turbo.
Don't believe everthing you read. During those years everyone nationwide was throwing a fit regarding a HUGE jump in insurance rates so Ford and some other mfgrs rated all their vehicles real low in the HP department compared to what HP they actually were putting out. Car & Driver magazine mentioned it more than once. At the time HP had a big effect on your premium.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by LMJD; 04-28-2011 at 05:29 PM.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Getting more out of the IDI w/stock Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD View Post
Don't believe everthing you read. During those years everyone nationwide was throwing a fit regarding a HUGE jump in insurance rates so Ford and some other mfgrs rated all their vehicles real low in the HP department compared to what HP they actually were putting out. Car & Driver magazine mentioned it more than once. At the time HP had a big effect on your premium.
If that's the case, the they jumped up the 'PowerStroke' specs to boost sales. ...maybe...

In anycase, I'm just looking for a couple simple things I can do to add a little power and mpg.

So straighforward answer please: Is it worth changing out the stock downpipe from the 'stock' 93/94 turbo?
What are the actual gains...if any?
If its worth it, where can i get a cast 3" elbow to replace the ford 2 1/2' POS?
ATS still makes a downpipe and full exhaust kit, but not the 3" elbow.
Attached Thumbnails
Is a 94 IDI Turbo worth the effort.-94-f250.jpg  
Old 04-29-2011, 01:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
Is it worth changing out the stock downpipe from the 'stock' 93/94 turbo?
Chuckster57 is the guy who can answer that. He changed his turbo housing and downpipe, take a look at his pics, I think he show's the difference in the housings.

My ATS aftermarket kit came with the big housing, 3" outlet and complete 3" exhaust so I don't have a "before and after" comparison. A smaller housing and exhaust came on the Ford factory ATS system.

Quote:
With the stcok setup at 2 - 3 psi, it seems a bit on the weak side. Would 5 - 6 be a practical level that would help performance and yet not affect dependability or longevity?
Max boost is dependent on exhaust gas volume and you only get a massive increase in volume when the engine's under load. High RPM with no load won't give you an accurate boost figure. The aftermarket ATS system is set up to produce a max boost of 8-9lbs (under load) and that's with the 3" exhaust and the IP max fuel set exactly as ATS recommends. The Ford factory systems, if I recall right are set at 7lbs. boost under a hard pull (load).
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by LMJD; 04-29-2011 at 02:11 PM.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Send a message via Yahoo to El 'Jefe
That elbow isn't the only way to go for a bigger downpipe...I found this while I was building the combination of toys for my ball bearing turbo....you will have to have a new downpipe fabbed up, but an exhaust shop won't have a problem with the plumming.

Here she is.

Ultimate Internal wastegate valve for T3 5Bolt, high flow 3" V-band Style : atpturbo.com

Soon to come:Garrett Dual Ball Bearing T3/60-1with 3" V-band DownPipe Flange on a .63 turbine housing and a 4" compressor inlet,11lbs wastegate, Garrett High Performance Intercooler, 4'' downpipe to a 5'' exhaust all the way back. All on a sesame seed bun.

Don't Worry...I will take Pictures.
El 'Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2011, 04:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

IMHO, if you like the truck.. do it... these IDI motors are very strong and dependable. Sure just like any vehicle with higher mileage, it will need gaskets and seals, brake jobs, belts and hoses replaced. I have a 1993 F250 with 189,000 with the Banks Sidewinder kit and I love it. I would not even think of selling it Bottom line, I have always been told that if you are good to your truck, it will be good to you.

P.S. Might want to search out another mechanic ...my .2 cents
Diesel 4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El 'Jefe View Post
That elbow isn't the only way to go for a bigger downpipe...I found this while I was building the combination of toys for my ball bearing turbo....you will have to have a new downpipe fabbed up, but an exhaust shop won't have a problem with the plumming.

Here she is.

Ultimate Internal wastegate valve for T3 5Bolt, high flow 3" V-band Style : atpturbo.com
This wont work on our stock turbo's...

But this will...

3" V-Band FLANGE Kit Stainless Steel Turbo Downpipe V7 | eBay

...and in combination with this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

...you can have a complete exhaust.

And has already been done...but of course this site wont let me link you to another site with the info and pics of how it was done. PM me if your want the info.

If you call Banks, they will sell you just the downpipe that is supposedly "ready to bolt on", but its only 2.5".

Last edited by moto_shop; 05-03-2011 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Bad link
moto_shop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
I presume you propose to make or have made a pipe to fit between the turbine and that exhaust kit using those flanges?

I have ATS 088 and presumably have the ATS exhaust too so I don't have to care, but it's still interesting.
drinkypoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

You still use the cast housing, but you cut the flange off, take a little meat out of the inside of the housing (where you removed the flange) and then slide a 2-4" section of 3" piping in the housing. Weld the pipe to the housing, weld your new flange on the end of the pipe. Then cut the "elbow" off the new PSD down pipe and weld the other new flange on.

I have also seen people not use the v-band flange kit and just weld the DP directly into the housing. This would take a little more finesse though to get the down pipe the right length and shape before welding it to the housing. The flange also makes it much easier to remove if needed.

Last edited by moto_shop; 05-03-2011 at 07:04 PM.
moto_shop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

Here's some pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Is a 94 IDI Turbo worth the effort.-8bdb084b.jpg   Is a 94 IDI Turbo worth the effort.-529eca87.jpg  
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.