94 IDIT upgrades - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2008, 07:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
94 IDIT upgrades

Good morning folks, Have been looking into upgrades for my 94 IDIT. Some say that an intercooler is not needed for our low pressure turbos. I would like some input into if this is entirely true. Also how does the "collective" feel about water/meth injection? BTW the reason for the upgrades is towing my Bronco for 4wheeling. The truck(bronco), trailer & spares weigh out @ 9900lbs. I already have a performance inj pump installed. It flows enough fuel to put my EGT's way high. I have seen 1200 F on some hills & backed out of the fuel to keep her safe. The upgrades are for towing performance only. THX in advance Rick
94 F250 7.3Turbo IDI, 5spd, 4X4, Extcab, 242km. New International motor @ 239km, Champion Diesel turbo injection pump, Jacobs brake, Powershot 2000 propane kit, new injectors, glows & return line kit, coolant filter & AC / heater mod.
SASKR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2008, 05:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
From posts around your entry time on TDS there were posts by travis re water/meth injection and home made..... well 1 motor later the cat was out of the bag....... if you want to do it use a tried and true KIT....... Propane is another KIT you can get to increase power....... powershot 2000.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2008, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASKR View Post
Good morning folks, Have been looking into upgrades for my 94 IDIT. Some say that an intercooler is not needed for our low pressure turbos. I would like some input into if this is entirely true. Also how does the "collective" feel about water/meth injection? BTW the reason for the upgrades is towing my Bronco for 4wheeling. The truck(bronco), trailer & spares weigh out @ 9900lbs. I already have a performance inj pump installed. It flows enough fuel to put my EGT's way high. I have seen 1200 F on some hills & backed out of the fuel to keep her safe. The upgrades are for towing performance only. THX in advance Rick
Hi, I'm a new member. Recently I started putting an intercooler setup on my truck. Intercoolers are a good thing to have no matter the boost level. There is a loss of boost if you intercool because it takes the boost you have and cools it. The cooler the boost, the denser the oxygen particles are. Having a cooler intake tep also lowers the exhaust temp too. Also, you can make up for the loss in boost by turning up the turbo a little. Therefore making more power.

As for water methanol injection, I am putting the Snow Performance kit on my truck. That would be good to lower your exhaust temperature. Not only does it lower your exhaust temperature but it also cools your boost and adds methanol which is an additional fuel. That also increases the power. The water/ methanol kit would also be perfect for towing.
88 f250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2008, 02:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

pete--that was because travis admitted to running TWICE as much water as russ had originally----i seen the original setup of russ's---russ never had any problems-----russ said later he thought that travis was putting out the fire--and the water was lightly hydroing the engine---hence the cracked pistons he experienced-----
94 f250 idi turbo sc e4od alum fac rims 149,289 --dana 60 frt with posi--10.25 rear w/posi--shouldnt get stuck!! ats turbo 3" parts on--what a diff from stock turbo!!!!!--- also 96 F250 with 305,000 is fixed!!-- 7.3 rattler-also 85 6.9-needs new engine!! tired!!
94_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2008, 11:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hey there Pete , Your post confused me. I think you mentioned a home made water /meth kit. I would go factory made. Also the question remains about the effectiveness of an intercooler on our low boost engines. Yes the truck was bought to have most of it's time with 10K on her butt. This is where I would like to improve upon. THX much Rick
94 F250 7.3Turbo IDI, 5spd, 4X4, Extcab, 242km. New International motor @ 239km, Champion Diesel turbo injection pump, Jacobs brake, Powershot 2000 propane kit, new injectors, glows & return line kit, coolant filter & AC / heater mod.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Does Pete still live here?
Old 11-27-2008, 09:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASKR View Post

Hey, seems like this therad is kinda old but that what I found in google.

My qeustion is about the insurance of IDIT. I checked the site and and I don't get the connection 7.3 Liter?
dorealthings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2008, 11:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

What? Insurance?

Sold:
1994 F350 XL Crewcab 4x4 SRW 7.3 Banks Turbo
Dana 60 Sterling 10.25 3.55, ISSPRO EV Guage and Pyro

PICS of my rigs and random stuff: http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee67/dakotajeep/
dakotajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2008, 11:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

Intercooler do work well on our motors. Look at the science side of compressing air (a gas). The molecules of the gas or air in this case bounce off each other creating heat as a by product. When the air charge is heated you loose power. Anything above around 12 lbs of boost is wasted because the air temp is up around 300 degrees. The intercoolers will cut the temp in half and the charge is denser so more air is jamed into each stroke. Add propane or water-methonel or both and you will see great gains but... Don't go overboard on any. The motor must be in great shape. Head studs are a must. As posted, Travis went outside the envelope and found out what happens but give the guy credit for trying. I like somebody like that ... Somebody thats in the game and will take a calculated risk to show results. The first landing on the Moon only had around a 23% chance the engines would fire and they could lift off... Now thats courage....
89 7.3 crewcab w/ Banks Sidewinder Wastegated Turbo. 4 inch straight piped. BTS E4OD trans with 2 extra gallons of ATF in a Mag Hy-Tec pan. Gear Vendors. Rodney Red custom aluminum radiator. Moose Pump with "G' injectors. Motor rebuilt with new after market ported heads. Mahle low comp pistons milled 12 thousands. Balanced to 1/4 to 1/3 gram. Lined bored. Block decked and sleeved on all 8. Shimed oil pump for higher pressure. Intake and exhaust logs ported too. Hypermax in shop waiting to be installed later....
icanfixall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.