bad injector pump ? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2005, 12:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
SLK

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
bad injector pump ?

Does anyone know how long injector pumps last on average and what are the symptoms of one going bad ? Also what might be a good cheep sorce for a rebuilt one. (do they hop them up ever ?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2005, 02:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
Re: bad injector pump ?

They usually last ~125,000 miles. When it's time to have it rebuilt, it will work in the morning when it's cold, but after you go somewhere and it gets warmed up to normal operating temperature, and you stop the engine, then go back in a few minutes to start it, NO DICE!! Try pouring some cool, NOT ICE COLD, water over the IP and try to start it. If the cool water works, it's time for a rebuild. Normal price for the rebuld in the U.S. is $350~$450. In Tijuana, it's $200 if you take it in and pick it up. How big are your guavos? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]BajaGringo
<font color="red">1987 F350, 4X4, Crew Cab, DRW, w/'91 7.3 TURBO-CHARGED BY ATS, no-Wastegate(Turbo rebuilt by me 7/2005)</font>, <font color="blue">E4OD Auto, Aux Trans Cooler w/12" fan, w/Baumann Programable Trans Computer-12/05</font>, Rebuilt Injection Pump-2/03, Electric Fuel Pump, Coolant Filter, "BajaGringo Block Drains, 5-Row Radiator Core-9/04, 2 New Plastic Fuel Tanks w/new Sending Units/Pickups, Fuel Filler Neck Mods, Air Ram Intake, Air-Lift SuperDuty AirBags with Smart Lift Auto Leveling-7/2005 <font color="blue">Link to Photo of "OkieGringo Idler Pulley"</font>
<font color="red">Link to GP Controller Diagram</font> <font color="blue">Link to "Electric Fuel Pump Wiring Diagram"</font>
OkieGringo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2005, 12:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
SLK

Thanks for the info. I have a couple of different symptoms then what you brought up. I dont know if they add up to a bad I.P. or not, but I do have over 200k on the pump. The truck seems to be down on power, acting like the eng. worn out. I change oil every 2k miles and treat the rest of the truck as well, so I don't think the motor is worn out yet. I have also noticed that while accelerating, after stopping at a intersection the truck will just loose 50 % of its power... all of the sudden. I can be at 1/2 thotle, mid rpm's in first gear and accelerating normaly, then the the truck just slows down instead of the continued acceration curve that I am used to. I also think that this only happens when the engine temp is normal. I think the truck feels good and strong when I first start driving but after several minutes is when these two symptoms can happen. the only I.P. I ever had to replace was on my 1985 F250 6.9 L. in that case at about 80k miles I was on the hiway and within 3 miles that truck went from acting normal to losing some power.. to creeping along at 5 mph with my foot on the floor. turned out to be the plastic timing ring that had broke. That is the only mode of failure I was aware of. My local dealer told me that I.P.'s wore out around 100k to 125k... I just wasnt sure if he was telling me the truth or just wanted to sell me a pump.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2005, 10:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

hes tellin teh truth try changing your fuel filter first just to see but it is definantly time for an ip. mwfi.com has pumps for 299 cheapest anywhere i got one and it works great. Ken at dps.com h as hopped up pumps but you dont need it unless your running a turbo.

-Jeremy Roooster! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

1991 F250 7.3l 200XXX extended cab long bed. 3.55's REDNECKED OUT!! 295/75/16 Bfg All Terrains 16 in billet rims. New front brake pads and rotors, rear shoes, glow plug controller, glow plugs, return line kit duralast batteries, mitubishi off set gear redution starter, altenator, valve cover seals, holley red pump,new injector pump, soon to be new injectors, new vacum pump. Removed soup bowl and drilled holes in air intake.

http://community.webshots.com/user/r0oster06
R0oster06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2005, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

the least expensive ADS rebuilt IP i have found is from dieselcare.net. not sure what ADS is? take a look on the internet, and you will find they are the worldwide diesel reman association. any dealer nationwide, or worldwide, will warranty a component sold by any ADS dealer for the posted warranty. talk about a nice piece of mind while traveling across this great country of ours.. and at 275.00, the price is right. gauranteed to use oem parts, and all components meet or exceed oem specifications. no cheapy discount autoparts store units here..
huskyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2005, 02:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
SLK

Thanks for the info. I just need to get off my rear end and replace it before the thing dies for good.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
SLK

www.dps.com does not take me to dps but to "Leitch" I looked in the links and could'nt find it either. does anyone know what the web site is for dps ? I want to talk to him about a hopped up IP and what it does for my turbo'd rig.
thanks
Old 06-18-2005, 12:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)

The website is www.dps-performance.com. Ken is good to talk to, I just bought stage one injectors from him. Now if I can only get rid of my clicking noise, I can thoroughly test them [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
92 F350 XLT Crewcab dually, 225K miles ATS turbo, 4 inch exhaust, fresh IP & new matched BB injectors, Holly Red pump, K&N, E40D, 2 aux coolers, A-pillar guages, 410 limited-slip rear, Rancho 9000s, towing package, full running boards, mud flaps, 94' Ford (Alcoa) aluminum wheels, Predator camper shell, 600 watts of Sony/Boston Acoustics! Complete engine rebuild at 176k miles. Ford reman E4OD at 204k miles.
2001 Komfort 26FS
My Truck
Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.