bearing replacement for pilot bushing? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2006, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
bearing replacement for pilot bushing?

Does anybody know where to find this? Is it really that significant? Maybe a part number?
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2006, 03:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
Re: bearing replacement for pilot bushing?

Pilot bearing is vital to stability of the clutch and main nose shaft of the ZF.
At Ford...........
Mechanical Catalog - 1989 - Ford - F350
Clutch, Clutch and flywheel, Pilot bearing, PILOT BEARING, Pick-Up $18.18 sell $13.36

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2006, 04:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

The pilot bearing is what holds the weight of the clutch disk up.... Yep it's important.

I recommend replacing the whole bushing / bearing assembly (rather than the needle bearing itself) because the needle bearing is easily damaged if not pressed in with a special tool.

Former vehicles, 1994 E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 International 1654 rollback, 6.9L IDI, (2) 1994 Ford E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 DRW 6.9L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 wrecker 6.9L IDI.

*dual ASE Master Certified, Automotive, Medium & Heavy trucks*

Owner / operator, Patriot Automotive, N Ridgeville OH
Mr_Roboto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2006, 05:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

It's a needle bearing that comes from the factory? I was thinking that the factory calls for a bushing. Which is best? If the bearing falls apart, wouldn't the bushing be better?
Old 12-30-2006, 07:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
It's a needle bearing that comes from the factory? I was thinking that the factory calls for a bushing. Which is best? If the bearing falls apart, wouldn't the bushing be better?

[/ QUOTE ]

The hole in the end of the crankshaft is fairly large to fit the snout of a torque converter. So to fill that hole, there is a large cast iron bushing with a needle bearing pressed in. That is why I refer to it as a bushing / bearing. (Some older vehicles used a plain brass bushing).

The bearing is superior to a plain bushing, it's a matter of an anti-friction (roller) bearing vs friction (plain) bearing. Anytime the clutch is pressed in, the input shaft and crankshaft are turning at different speeds, the pilot bearing allows that speed difference.

The needle bearings are fragile simply because the walls are a thinwall design, and rely on the housing they are pressed into for strength. Once properly pressed into that housing, they are very durable.

I spent a few years in the bearing business and processed hundreds of thousands of the buggers from ones smaller than your pinkie nail to ones taller than you and me. So I know more than I care to on the subject.

Former vehicles, 1994 E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 International 1654 rollback, 6.9L IDI, (2) 1994 Ford E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 DRW 6.9L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 wrecker 6.9L IDI.

*dual ASE Master Certified, Automotive, Medium & Heavy trucks*

Owner / operator, Patriot Automotive, N Ridgeville OH
Mr_Roboto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2006, 05:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Input-Pil...72788QQtcZphoto

This input shaft repair kit eliminates the high cost of disassembling the transmission and replacing the input shaft, front bearing and race. The kit includes a Pilot Bearing with an additional 0.215 wear surface and a high grade lip seal to keep the lubrication in and dirt out. The repair sleeve is hardened for more durability.

Some pix/ The fleet
Zrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.