Block Drain Plug for Coolant - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Block Drain Plug for Coolant

I was under my truck tonight inspecting it and noticed a coolant leak, had a drip at bottom of bell housing. After further inspection noticed a little 5/16 square plug on driver side close to oil pan beside were manifold bolts to exhaust it was wet around it and appeared to be running down. All my books show block drains on passenger side around starter. It was dark so I didn't slide over and look but do some have it both sides or just one. I was afriad it was somthing worse but glad I found the leak or at least I hope. I got it to tighten 1/4-1/2 turn more. Any info.
Thanks
E40D 4:10 rear
xca2139 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2009, 07:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
They are on both side yes....... if you have a leak think of installing Baja Gringo block drains...

BajaGringo Block Drains

The block drains are just 1/4"npt pet****s, available in the "HELP" section at the auto parts store. You need a 9/16" crowfoot socket that fits on a socket extension to reach in to tighten them (There's no room for a reg open end wrench). Then, cut up an old spark plug socket to fit over the pet**** to loosen/tighten. Once they are loose, slip the 3/8" rubber hose over the end of the pet**** and continue loosening the pet**** (with the other end of hose in bucket). Intstalling these is still messy and a bit of a hassle, but NEXT TIME it'll be a lot less messy and a lot easier. Smear 'em with anti-seize to make sure they turn 'next time'. I've already had to use mine because when I had the radiator 'rodded' they didn't have the right kind of antifreeze, and I was 200 miles from home. So I needed to re-flush the system and re-DCA it. This makes saving/reusing the expensive DCAs/antifreeze possible if you use CLEAN BUCKETS. I bought a special funnel that snaps into the radiator fill, and use a metal spray paint funnel/filter/screen just to make sure nothing too big gets back in there. Yeah, I'm a little 'anal retentive', that's probably why my eyes are brown. BajaGringo
I added them to mine a few weeks ago(idea stollen from Baja) I confirm they are 1/4" npt pet****s and the 9/16" crowfoot is neccassary also.

--------------------
Kennyd
Get the quality brass pet****s that open fully with a 1/4 turn (twist-knob on the side). There's all different kinds available.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 07:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Pete,

Speaking of Baja, where is he these days, does he post anymore?

Paul - Pocono Mtns. USA
02 E350 15 Passenger Cream Puff, 72,000 Miles, 5.4L Gasser

'90 E350 7.3L Ex-Ambulance High Top 420K Miles, No Turbo, Stock Stock stock, No ELC! (Extended Life Coolant) & 10 Oz. Bars Stop Leak. 10 wonderful cool years using Freeze12 without any AC system modifications. Retired 11/8/2011 with blown trans.

Drunk Driving - America's #1 Form Of Terrorism!
Snotzalot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 08:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
On rare occasion here, but over at OBN mostly..... I get the odd email.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.