Blue smoke - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blue smoke

My 7.3 IDI is smoking during idle and deceleration. The smoke is constant and blue in color. I have no lose of power issues and the smoke appears to be little or none under a load or normal driving. Recent repairs have been new injectors and glow plugs with no change. I also had head gasket issues and that were repaired as well. (I know, throwing parts at this thing). My experience with blue smoke and gas engines is burning oil. Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
rtilton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2010, 06:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Im gonna say you need to clean the CDR. Its the tuna can looking thing on the back of the motor

I'm gonna sign my name in that diesel smoke and let the ones that come along behind me choke!
johnboggs21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)
Blue smoke can be fuel related on a diesel.
Hate to say it but my guess is that the IP needs to be rebuilt.
Are you using much oil?
Plywood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2010, 07:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plywood View Post
Blue smoke can be fuel related on a diesel.
Hate to say it but my guess is that the IP needs to be rebuilt.
Are you using much oil?
No oil burning. I have 200,000 miles on the orginal IP so I guess it has earned a rebuilt.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2010, 07:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboggs21 View Post
Im gonna say you need to clean the CDR. Its the tuna can looking thing on the back of the motor
Thanks, any special way to cleaning?
Old 04-22-2010, 07:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtilton View Post
No oil burning. I have 200,000 miles on the orginal IP so I guess it has earned a rebuilt.

Thanks
Definitely time for the IP then.
The CDR is actually a wide open orifice at idle so it's unlikely the cause. If you have excessive blowby then that gets into the intake through the CDR, but the blowby is the culprit there, not the CDR.
I can't hurt to clean it but there is a rubber diaphram in there so I would be careful not to use anything harsh.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks, any special way to cleaning?
Take it and soak it in gas for about a half hour, swishing it around every now and then. Let it air dry and reinstall. DO NOT use compressed air to dry it. Itll rupture the diaphragm and then its junk.

with 200k on that IP, that definitly is ready for some attention. Your supposed to clean the CDR every other oil change, but most CDRs never get serviced for the life of the truck.

I'm gonna sign my name in that diesel smoke and let the ones that come along behind me choke!
johnboggs21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboggs21 View Post
Take it and soak it in gas for about a half hour, swishing it around every now and then. Let it air dry and reinstall. DO NOT use compressed air to dry it. Itll rupture the diaphragm and then its junk.

with 200k on that IP, that definitly is ready for some attention. Your supposed to clean the CDR every other oil change, but most CDRs never get serviced for the life of the truck.

Thanks John. I took the CDR off today and noticed that the small rubber hose on the back side is almost torn off. I am gussing it is getting some blow by. I wouldn't think this would cause that much smoke. I have a IP on order. I hope this is the true fix.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
Never use gasoline as a parts cleaner. Besides the safety factor, it's the quickest way to shorten the life of the CDR diaphram. If you're getting blue smoke that's not a fuel or IP problem, first step is to check for excessive blowby (worn or stuck rings). The 7.3/6.9 engine's blowby limit is 6" on a manometer at rated RPM (3400). Another common cause of blue smoke would be bad valve guides and/or bad valve stem seals.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by LMJD; 04-24-2010 at 10:59 AM.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD View Post
Never use gasoline as a parts cleaner.
Thank you for reminding us!

Paul - Pocono Mtns. USA
02 E350 15 Passenger Cream Puff, 72,000 Miles, 5.4L Gasser

'90 E350 7.3L Ex-Ambulance High Top 420K Miles, No Turbo, Stock Stock stock, No ELC! (Extended Life Coolant) & 10 Oz. Bars Stop Leak. 10 wonderful cool years using Freeze12 without any AC system modifications. Retired 11/8/2011 with blown trans.

Drunk Driving - America's #1 Form Of Terrorism!
Snotzalot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

I had blue smoke under the same conditions as you described.
Cleaning the cdr made no improvement on mine. I changed the IP with a rebuilt and all the blue smoke has stopped. Mine does use oil and puddles oil in the intake but doesn't seem to smoke at all now. I believe all my smoking was caused by the worn IP.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

I too am totally surprised he is saying blue smoke cannot be a fuel related issue on a Diesel, if that's what he meant to say.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
My 7.3 IDI is smoking during idle and deceleration. The smoke is constant and blue in color. I have no lose of power issues and the smoke appears to be little or none under a load or normal driving. Recent repairs have been new injectors and glow plugs with no change. I also had head gasket issues and that were repaired as well. (I know, throwing parts at this thing). My experience with blue smoke and gas engines is burning oil. Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
Did a new IP fix the problem?
joshtee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2010, 11:08 AM   #14 (permalink)

I know this is a old post, but I thought this info may be useful for anyone searching this topic. Check the Dieselmann's smoke analysis.

dieselmann's InDirect Injected Diesel Page
Ford diesel 6.9 7.3 IDI
joshtee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.