bolt pattern/lug size/other questions! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
bolt pattern/lug size/other questions!

Hey guys,

I realize a 94 f350 has a 8x6.5 bolt pattern, but so do older dodges and chevys. Will these wheels work too, or is the hub size different? Also, what does lug size have to so with what wheels fit? (ours are 9/16, I think....)

I can't seem to find any wheels i like via craigslist and was wondering if I can expand my search to looking for older chevy / dodge 2500 wheels too.

What measurements should I be liking for that would fit? Thanks!!
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2009, 11:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
All I have for info is........

Ford F-250/350 single rear wheel :

1997-Back = 8-6.5" bolt circle
1999-up = 8-170MM bolt circle.

Ford F-350 Duallys as follows:

1997-Back = 8-6.5" bolt circle
1999-2004 = 8-170MM bolt circle
2005-up = 8-200MM bolt circle

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 05:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

I was just in the junkyard test-fitting different wheels, and you're pretty much stuck with Ford-specific wheels. The Chevy and Dodge wheels will slide onto the wheel studs as they have the same bolt pattern, but the Chevy wheels will not clear the hub flanges and the Dodge wheels will not clear the locating pin. I'd imagine that if you ground down or knocked out all the locating pins you could use Dodge wheels on your Ford, but I couldn't verify that as I did not have the time or tools to do so in the junkyard.

M.L.S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 08:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Here's a helpful link I found yesterday looking for the same thing. I have 16.5 x 12.5 wheels and want to go back to OEM.
OKoffroad.com - Bolt Pattern
Old 11-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
rmr

The stock steel wheels off my 1984 F250 4X4 would not work on the FRONT of a 95 F250 4X4 , they rubbed on the disc brakes.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Did you have 15" on that '84? Gotta watch out for that, there were some 15" 8-lug wheels back in the '80s, they will not clear the bolt-on calipers of the mid-'90s trucks...

M.L.S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 08:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
rmr

They were 16" , when you put the 2 different wheels , 84 stock steel & 95 stock steel beside each other you could see the difference and why they rubbed.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That is interesting in that I have been running my rims and tires from my old 84 F250 on my 96 F250 for about 5 years now and no problems.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
rmr

I wasn't the original owner of the 84,,so maybe they were off something older, or a different brand,aren't Dodges 8lug on 6.5" also? They were 1 piece, not split rims. I sold both trucks or I would take a pic. I gave the 95 to my nephew and was getting ready to sell the 84, the 84 had way better tires so we went to put those on the 95 for my nephew, they just barely rubbed, you could hear it when you spun the tire. When we took it back off you could see shiny spots where the disc brake caliper hit.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That is the problem with a used truck you never know what it might have on it. As far as what fits what, Ford uses a hub centric wheel and the others use a lug centric wheel. All that means is that the Fords index on the hub and Chevy and Dodge does it on the lugs. So Ford rims will fit on the Chevy and Dodge but the centers of the two others are not as large as the Fords. Now aftermarket all bets are off since most of them will only make one rim that fits all in the same bolt pattern.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.