Burning Oil - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Burning Oil

hey guys on my 93 f250 7.3 every time i start it up there seems to be too much smoke...iam fine with that but during the winter when i start it there is literally a smoke cloud that comes out of the pipe and its there until its warm. i am also fine with that but the thing is that i didn't check the oil level cause i didn't think anything of it but after lets say.....3months i had LITERARLY NO OIL. it was dry...is my truck suppose to be burning this much oil? it doesn't seem to be the problem during summer only during winter please help thank you.
bendourek1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 09:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
DieselDon wrote this info.....

Oil consumption, and the proper checking of the oil levels in Ford diesels comes up periodically. Ford dipsticks are calibrated for hot oil. The 10 quarts in the IDI engines expand about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart as the oil heats up, and contracts the same amout after cooling. If you check the oil first thing in the morning ( which I grew up doing ) the engines will all indicate oils level below full, but when checked hot, will ( after a 10 minute drain time ) the oil level is usually at full. If you are checking the oil cold, and keeping the level at full, you are actually over filling the engine which will burn of the extra rapidly.

Suggestion: Check oil hot after 10 minute drain time.
Don't add until level reaches add line ( 2 quarts ).

In my days at Ford this often cured, or at least improved, the apparent oil consumption complaints.

6.9-7.3 Engine oil requirements.

32F to 100F+........30wt

0F to 100F+..........15W-40

32F to way below freezing ........10W-30

With the new oils...... 0W-40 is a good choice too in extreme cold

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 09:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

wow this actually helps but somebody was also telling that it could be some pcv valve or something that its got to do with sending fumes back or something could that also be it?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
Do you know when to service your CDR valve?

All 6.9L and 7.3L diesel engines are equipped with a CDR (Crankcase Depression Regulator) valve. Even the new 7.3L Power Stroke is also equipped with the same valve. The CDR valve is one of the leading causes of head gasket failure in these engines. The CDR valve is responsible for controlling the pressure/vacuum in the engine crankcase, and seperating the oil mist from the air and returning the oil to the crankcase. The CDR valve should be serviced every second oil change or when signs listed below are seen.

When the CDR valve is not properly serviced, engine oil enters the air intake and is drawn into the engine. The diesel engine will burn this oil as fuel, however, it is heavier and thicker than diesel fuel and, having greater BTU output, causes excessive heat in the cylinder. Due to the intake manifold design, most of the oil will migrate to #7 and #8 cylinders; the last two cylinders in the rear by the firewall. The increased temperature here will cause the cylinder head to lift off the gasket and allow water or oil to leak out the back of the cylinder head where it meets the block.

To check your CDR valve, remove the air cleaner hold down bolt and inspect it. If the bolt is covered with engine oil mist, it's time to service your CDR valve! Ford calls this item a "Adapter assembly for Crankcase Ventilation" Part number E3TZ-6A665-A or IH part #1805319C1

To service the CDR wash with a solvent, allow to dry, do not use compressed air to dry. There is a small hole in the CDR back cover, ensure it is clean and open. If black chunks of rubber are visible in the intake, on the screen then the rubber membrane has disintegrated, replace the CDR.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Wow thank you very much I think this might just solve my problem I have noticed oil dripping down from my heads.....

Thank you extremely! All of you
Old 04-15-2011, 12:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

you might also have developed an oil leak... any oil on your driveway? Valve cover gasket leaks are common.
6 digit odometer
122,000 miles (197,000km)
still Minty Fresh

Sold my old 90 reg cab @340,000 miles (550,000km)
Still running I'm sure...
lexxxel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

actually ye just a little bit...i can see little oil dripping down my oil filter...i thought it might be just not screwed in all the way...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.