Bypassing RABS valve, good idea? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2005, 09:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bypassing RABS valve, good idea?

I am having the usual brake problems. After changing pads, shoes, wheel cylinders, brake hardware and adjusting the rear brakes up I am still getting a low peddle. I am about to change the front hoses, as a suggestion by a friend and their old too. Having read much on this wonderful site it seems there is a lot of problems with the RABS valve. What kind of braking capacity would I lose if I simply bypassed it? I know the brake system on these trucks isnt that great so maximizing the braking is important.

Thanks,

Aaron

01 Ram 3500 5.9L HO 2WD NV5600 4.10
acoppock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2005, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Bypassing RABS valve, good idea?

Aaron,
As I mentioned in another post here, I bypassed mine and my brakes work great now. No fade, can get them to lock up now (not a problem- I learned to drive BEFORE ABS was invented). Got the fittings at Pep Boys and never looked back.

Keith
93 F350 CC Dually 7.3 Hypermax turbo 4:10 gears, ZF rower, K&N filter, home made ram-air, Hypermax 3.5" exhaust, LUK clutch, 150,000 mi.
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2005, 09:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)

There are NO normal brake problems with our trucks, I've owned mine 12 years with never as much as a hiccup in my brake system.
If you buy top quality brake pads and turn the rotors and drums correctly and not below the size minimum stated on them they work fine. if you have a vacuum problem do the test on my gallery.

Check these out.........

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/dec99/techtips.htm

http://www.federal-mogul.com/fmeconn...loads/3404.pdf

1997 and earlier diesel trucks equiped with vacuum power brakes--Low/creeping pedal:
Many owners have complained of a low or creeping brake pedal on their trucks, often mistaken for a bad master cylinder or Rear ABS valve. If the condition occurs after the vehicle has come to a stop, and no other brake concerns are found, (worn or out-of-adjusted brakes, cocked pads, or hydraulic problems) the condition is normal and the result of the vacuum pump replenishing the vacuum inside the power booster. Ford has developed a Zero-Loss Travel brake booster to correct this condition if the customer finds it unacceptable. This part is only for use on diesel-equiped trucks--P/N F5TZ-2005-CA--and is not a service replacement; it must be ordered by the part number, not vehicle application.

This condition is similar to the low brake pedal concern on all 1995 F-series that required a larger-diameter master cylinder:

Trucks without cruise control:

F6TZ-2140-AB
F-250 Gas 4X2; F-350 DRW, SRW Gas 4X2, SRW 7.3 4X2 168" WB
F6TZ-2140-EB
F-250 4X4, 7.3 4X2; F-350 SRW 4X4, SRW 7.3 4X2 133" WB

Trucks with cruise control:
F6TZ-2140-BA
F-250 Gas 4X2; F-350 DRW, SRW Gas 4X2, SRW 7.3 4X2 168" WB
F6TZ-2140-FB
F-250 4X4, 7.3 4X2; F-350 SRW 4X4, SRW 7.3 4X2 133" WB

These part numbers are from TSB's 96-25-19 and 98-5A-34, and are not normal service-stock replacment parts.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2005, 10:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Good info, thanks for suggesting it. I am using fleet rated pads and shoes. What I meant about normal problems was those being exprienced by others on this site. Any hydraulic system should work well so long as is functioning properly.

01 Ram 3500 5.9L HO 2WD NV5600 4.10
acoppock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2005, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

If by some bad luck your involved in an accident and your insurance company discovers the rabs has been by-passed there is a good chance they wont cover you.We all know they dont need much of an excuse to get them off the hook.Also,in a fatal accident you may be charged with neglegence or some other crazy charges.When the system is up to par it works pretty good.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

I tell ya what, I used to have an '02 F-350, the only time that truck ever felt dangerous was when the rear ABS started working. The truck would simply loose braking power.

If you have to bypass it, bypass it. Most of us here have driven vehicles that were built before ABS was around. And when the wheels started locking up, we just let off of the brakes a little.

Of course, teh best solution is to replace the RABS valve. But bypassing it is better than not stopping.

Former vehicles, 1994 E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 International 1654 rollback, 6.9L IDI, (2) 1994 Ford E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 DRW 6.9L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 wrecker 6.9L IDI.

*dual ASE Master Certified, Automotive, Medium & Heavy trucks*

Owner / operator, Patriot Automotive, N Ridgeville OH
Mr_Roboto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have been experiencing similar problems with 88 7.3. Replaced master cylinder twice and with ford bench bleeding master is mandatory. replaced and calibrated the break boost with a used one then with a new one. I was stumped no leaks and I bleed the system many times. I have not looked into the rabs valve I will do that now. However i was told by a fleet owner of tow trucks that I could put it in four wheel drive this should by pass the rabs valve and if the problem goes away then i know it was the rabs valve. I tried this but nothing changed. I have nothing left to try so I will try to replace the rabs valve

thanks for all the feedback

Last edited by styles; 12-09-2011 at 07:29 PM. Reason: added question
styles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

on a f250 88 7.3 is there a screw that can be removed from the proportioning valve to by pass anti lock ?
styles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

if you disconnect the electrical connection at the rear axle plug for the aba it will stop the abs from being activated the only thing is the light for abs will be opn to tell you its not working have been doing this for a lot of years never had problem but lots of thanks for this simple solution
gmoncion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoncion View Post
if you disconnect the electrical connection at the rear axle plug for the aba it will stop the abs from being activated the only thing is the light for abs will be opn to tell you its not working have been doing this for a lot of years never had problem but lots of thanks for this simple solution
BUT if you have an E4OD transmission, it will throw it into "limp mode" and cause harsh shifting and possible tranny damage.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

if you have just rear wheel anti-lock it won t if your not sure it is easy to unplug it try it if you don t like it just plug it back in hope this helps
gmoncion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
In that case, if you're going to disconnect something, you disconnect from the RABS module. the VSS goes to the RABS and the PSOM at the same time. I would rather repair the system, though.
drinkypoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 09:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
I have been experiencing similar problems with 88 7.3.
Styles, what exactly is your particular problem? If it's a slowly sinking pedal while at a stop, just like the symptom of failing master cylinder cups, Raybestos, BW or whoever produced the original RABS came out with a TSB regarding reoccuring failures. It's a mechanical failure due to brake fluid crud buildup, unplugging it has no effect and they can't be rebuilt. Counting the original, I'm on my 3rd one in 20 years.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
The RABS system is made by Kelsey-Hayes and referred to as RWAL, rear-wheel antilock brake. Here is my first google hit (but I've been there before so...) which is relevant:

Kelsey-Hayes RWAL Antilock Brakes
drinkypoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.