c6 transmission gears not engaging - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation c6 transmission gears not engaging

HERE'S THE SCOOP, I HAVE A NEW REBUILT TRANSMISSION, NEW TORQUE CONVERTER, NEW VACUMN MODULATOR, FRESH FLUID, AND THE TRANS. WON'T ENGAGE.. I'M WONDERING IF IT IS BECAUSE I FILLED IT WITH DEX MERC., INSTEAD OF TYPE F FLUID... WOULD IT MAKE THAT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE FOR A NON-LOCKUP TYPE CONVERTER??? I'VE READ DIFFERENT THINGS, SOME PEOPLE HAVE NO ISSUES WITH DEX MERC., BUT APPARENTLY TYPE F IS BETTER FOR TOWING... MY TRUCKS AT A STANDSTILL, FOR WHO KNOWS WHY... LINKAGE IS MOVING FREELY, AND PROPERLY SETUP FOR SELECTING EACH GEAR, BUT TIRES WILL NOT MOVE... LOL! @ ME! WHAT A STUPID PROBLEM TO HAVE. CERTAINLY DON'T WANT TO YANK THE TRANS. FOR SOME SMALL ISSUE... WHAT A PAIN IN MY NECK.. MY ONLY OTHER GUESS IS REPLACING THE VRV.. YET IT SEEMED TO HAVE VACUMN, ALTHOUGH I HAVEN'T CHECKED IT WITH A GAUGE TO VERIFY AT LEAST 20" OF VACUMN.. I DUNNO.. SHOULD I JUST T INTO MY VACUMN PUMP, AND CALL IT GOOD, OR DO I NEED TO STICK WITH RUNNING THE TRANS. VAC OFF OF THE VRV ON THE IP??? THANKS
troubleddiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Vacuum isn't your problem. Even with no vacuum the trans will engage and operate, it will just shift at high RPM.

Dex/Merc isn't your problem, either. If the friction materials were designed for Type F instead of Dex/Merc the trans will operate normally except all of the shifts will be long and slippery.

Here are a few things that I can think of that will cause no engagement.

Low trans fluid
Loose/missing internal filter
Torque converter not seated on the pump
Bad/missing internal clutch seals
Bad pump
Linkage not connected to the manual valve

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
SHOULD I JUST T INTO MY VACUMN PUMP, AND CALL IT GOOD, OR DO I NEED TO STICK WITH RUNNING THE TRANS. VAC OFF OF THE VRV ON THE IP??? THANKS
Don't do that..The modulator valve shifts the trans based on vacum increase, so if it's hooked to a constant source, it won't work right.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 11:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Cool got her figured...

Hey... Thanks a lot for your input... I had removed the valve body once before, come to find out, the pin wasn't connected to the likage lever.. too funny... I am going to fiddle with the vacumn modulator a bit in the morning.. but now it works.. I have the brb turned all the way to the firewall and I'm sure I will figure the fine details afterward.. thanks again.. any suggestion on stick out for the modulator.. I tried it flush to the nipple, but some people say run it out further for towing, and firmer shifts.. I know they sell longer pins for it as well. Yet again, these are fine tuning issues.. right now I have great throttle response, just smoking too much for the neighbors because of the 2 stroke I mixed in to help seat and protect the freshly built motor...
Old 07-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have no help for you on tuning a C6. I know a lot about electronic transmissions, and just the basics on a C6.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 07-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I had a C6 in my '86 F250 and IIRC there are different color modulator valves. I had a shift kit in mine so I didn't mess with the screw on the back side of it. hauling my fiver, I could get firm enough shifts to shake the dashboard. IIRC backing out would result in softer lower RPM shifts, but I would set the VRV first.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Exclamation

Well... I appreciate the input, but i'm turning 2,000 rpms and barely moving, so something is definately wrong somewhere else I guess... Bummer... I have no other ideas... Tranny is just slipping! Can't get it figured... The whole thing was in great shape internally, and the torque converter appeared to be brand new as well... I pulled apart the valve body twice, and I couldn't seem to see any clogs, or visual damage anywhere... I also installed brand new pump gears, and I'm positive that they were done correctly... Just can't seem to wrap my head around it... I assumed that it was a vacumn issue... But who knows..??? It's a pickin'
Old 07-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Disconnect the vacuum line and try it. That will put more pressure on the trans.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Cool right on...

Thanks man.. ill try that out.. I'm kinda nervous I dropped the 2-3 shift ball out of the valve body...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.