Compression problem? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2005, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Compression problem?

Thanks all for help last couple of post.

Can any one give me the Steps and advice on removing the heads on 7.3 IDI to check them and find out why #8 has 0 Compression?

Thanks to all.
1989 F-350 4x4 5 speed manuel 7.3 (present project truck)
1989 F-350 4x4 E-4OD 7.3 (4 door) (future project)
John deere 450C Crawler
Ford 6610 4x4 Tractor
Diamond Rio Dump Truck
Chevy Dump Truck
International Semi
remote is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2005, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (30)
Re: Compression problem?

Mel (agnem) has a great Article on removing the heads for head gasket replacment. But, that will still apply to taking the heads off. Be sure to remove the head in reverse torque sequence, otherwise, you could warp or crack the heads! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif[/img] If you don't have a manual (like Haynes) that gives you the sequence, some one on the site will have a link to it for you.

Did you find any problems when you removed the valve covers? Keep us up to date on what you find.

Heath
1986 F250HD 4x4 7.3L IDI '95 PSD front clip, '97 bed, T19, D60/10.25 with 3.55's. Rebuilt from the frame up. Banks Turbo, DPS IP & Stage 1's, Isspro TTM, Banks Exhaust, Boost gauge, Pyrometer, Precharged Coolant Filter, Holley Red Pump. 16.5 x 37 x 12.5 Goodyear Wrangler's, Air Horns. 6in lift, Fresh Paint, On-board Air. Revamped Interior. Rhino Liner.

1983 F250 4x4 5.0L with C6. 340,000+ miles.

7.3 Project Pictures
Webshots Project 7.3 Gallery

hesutton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2005, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

I would exhaust all other possibilities, before removing the heads.
It does not sound correct, 1 cylinder having 0 compression, and no other symptoms.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)

I'm with Bob on this one, dig around until all possible causes are exhausted before doing the head(s). Keep us up to date as to what you find it may tweek someone's memory reading your posted info...

Really not rocket science but there is a different tone of each valve when the stem is tapped with a hammer and it reseats, due to one being bigger than the other do two exhaust valves ie 6 and 8 then the two intake valves. The valves should sound the same ie both intakes, then both exhausts. If you get one set with a different sound of the same type valve that could isolate the problem a little.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.