Cruise control issues - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cruise control issues

In the 14 years we've owned our 93 7.3 Turbo, the cruise control has never worked The dealer told my Mom the cruise control module was bad, was about $700 and would be difficult to get. What is the cruise control module and where is it located?
Also I found a cruise control troubleshooting guide on this forum and was reading until I realized it was for trucks from the mid 80's. Is there a guide available for the 93-97 series trucks or is the older guide good enough to get me started?
I've been through the basics, ie fuse is good, brake lights work, horn works. The clutch saftey switch doesn't work, the truck can be started without pushing in the clutch, but even when that switch worked properly, the cruise did not. The Ford dealer replaced the clutch master a few years ago and told my Mom the original style wasn't available anymore and charged her an arm & a leg to switch to the newer style. The clutch switch hasn't worked since even though its still there.

Thanks
2003 Honda Civic DX 40mpg. I doan need no stinkin hybrid.
2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer. 5.4
Ristin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Progress of sorts

I replaced the cruise control servo with a junkyard unit I found in a gas powered F-250. This was based on a vague memory that my Mom had pointed to that part years ago and said I think that's what Ford said was bad, and not based on any diagnostic effects on my part. Got a chance to test the cruise today and I would have been shocked if it had worked. It didn't, however, when I pressed the SET switch a high pitched whine similar to alternator noise was coming from my speakers. Pressing the cruise off switch made it go away. So I believe the steering wheel switches and commuter ring are OK. I activated the cruise, verified by the whining noise, and pressed the brake pedal. The noise stopped so I think I have verified the brake switch is OK.
So, the horn works, the brake lights work, the speedometer works and it seems the cruise switches and brake cruise disconnect work. The servo is still an unknown being a junk yard unit.
What is between the all the switches and the servo? Would that be the cruise control module and where would it be located physically?
Old 01-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
Assuming that your tachometer and vehicle speed sensor are also working and you have already checked relevant fuses the problem is almost certainly the control unit.

At least on 1992-1994 the speed control unit is located to the right of the column, and up a bit. It has a grey connector plugged into it.

I have read reports of modules with failed solder joints being repaired by opening the module and reheating all the solder joints. Same problem on my 300SD, supposedly.
drinkypoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
The clutch saftey switch doesn't work
That could very well be your problem, I'd check there first. IIRC the cutout for the cruise system is wired into the same switch and if whoever jumped the start wires disconnected the cruise wires in an attempt to find the right wires that would keep the cruise from working.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

LMJD, you may be right but I think I'm ok on the clutch switch. If not, I'll be back here with a plate of crow....

I read on other Ford forums the servo is notorious for getting moisture in and seizing up. Also found that even though the servos look the same they have different part numbers related to the electronics. I pulled my diesel servo apart and while everything looked clean and shiny, the motor was seized; I couldn't turn even with pliers. The recommendation was to swap electronics between gear boxes. I opened up the gas servo and the motor turned easily. Could I get that lucky? Swapped electronics and reconnected. Tried the cruise and it still doesn't work.

In my 2nd post in this thread I listed my reasons why I didn't think the clutch switch is my issue and why I thought the steering wheel switches and brake switch were functioning properly. Now I wonder if, due to the seized servo motor, perhaps the electronics from my old servo are fried.

I need to figure out a way to bench test the servo. If the servo checks out then I'll look more at the clutch switch. Guess I'll fire up the Googler and search for pin diagrams for the servo.

Drinkpoo- Speedo and Tach both work. Speedo reads fast by 4mph compared to my GPS>

Last edited by Ristin; 01-02-2013 at 11:32 AM. Reason: more info
Old 01-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
There *is* some delicate electronics governing the speed control even though the rest of the engine, etc, is not electronic. Not too long after I'd bought my '91 I was in Oregon with my son when he was brokering Christmas trees with a buddy as a sideline. For the first time ever my cruise kept cutting off then coming back on. That was the days of the old high powered "bag" phones and I finally realized the speed control was OK but every time he'd use his phone it would make it cut out. Never had a problem with it since then and that was in about Nov. '92.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, just thought I would throw something in here on this. My 94 cruise is "intermittant", works today, don't tomorrow.

Wierd thing Ive noticed is that (most) of the time when it works, the fuel gauge and the temp gauge will move to the right about 20% (small but noticable). I know it does this because when you touch the brake and it deactivates, the gauges go back down????

Maybe a bad ground somewhere doing this?? Possibly the same problem on yours, except that yours never works.

Farm truck: 1989 F-250 XLT Lariat reg. cab
7.3 IDI, 4x4, 5 spd, manual hubs. WMO fueled

Massey Ferguson 1105 Farm Tractor WMO Fueled

1958 Caterpillar D6-9U Trying a little WMO in it......

diezelcrazees IDI website
diezelcrazee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.