Decoking pistons and rings ? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2006, 05:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Decoking pistons and rings ?

I have heard from someone off this form that it is a good idea to periodically pull the glow plugs or injectors and do a long soak of combustion chamber ( > 12 hr ) with a couple ounces of ATF or Marvel Mystery oil to de-coke the piston rings and lands. After the soak is done the engine has to be turned over a good bit drive out the liquid before reinstalling the glowpugs (or injectors) to prevent hydrolock . The engine should be run for a few minutes then the oil changed to get the solvents out .

Anyone familiar with this procedure ? Does it help ? - Thanks
rkpatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2006, 07:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
Re: Decoking pistons and rings ?

I have not heard of a specific proceedure, but I found Mercury Power Tune (boat stuff) will remove coking on pistons and cylinder tops. It sure did when I had the heads off last. Your proceedure mentioned and MPT may work too. Contact a Seafoam rep and get some advice there too. I questioned our local rep and got some impressive answers on several products I did not know they even had.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2006, 08:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)

I wouldn't bother, the chances of breaking a big chunk loose and scoring a cylinder wall outweigh any questionable benefit. If carbon gets too thick it will burn off of its own accord. I've had these engines apart before and it's not like there is some place where the carbon continues to build up. They can go 300,000 miles without ever being touched if nothing breaks along the way....

Birken
Birken Vogt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2006, 09:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

as birk said--also--if wanted to do it the right way--put on water injection--like a mini steam cleaner inside the engine--just dont dump tons like argve did!!!!!!!!!!!! this will slowly clean out any deposits--and keep them out--
94 f250 idi turbo sc e4od alum fac rims 149,289 --dana 60 frt with posi--10.25 rear w/posi--shouldnt get stuck!! ats turbo 3" parts on--what a diff from stock turbo!!!!!--- also 96 F250 with 305,000 is fixed!!-- 7.3 rattler-also 85 6.9-needs new engine!! tired!!
94_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.