Deep Cycle Batteries - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you want lots of cranking power go to two 14 volt race car batteries. I thought about it but have not yet since my batteries are in good shape. It would require changing the charging rate to about 16 volts. There are kit to do that. Electrionics should be OK but light filament might not last as long especially with a lot of vibration.

1999 Victory V92C Overdrive Sprocket, Power Commander, High Compression Pistons, Performance cam. Slash Cut pipes, Corbin Seat, Factory windscreen, Highway bars.

*Certified Aircraft Mechanic by choice, Ford Mechanic by necessity*
bluefishbeagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

You can go here Deep Cycle Battery FAQ and get a lot of good information. I use Trojan T105 6 volts in series for a battery backup on my house and 2 of them in series for 12 volt power in my rv. They perform just like they are rated. If you decide to use deep cycle I too would encourage you to go with a name brand. I know Trojan, U. S. Battery to name two are excellent batteries to go with. I think what you would find more useful to start the truck would be two heavy duty 12 volts. Good luck
94 F350 Dually 2wd,4:10,E40D,DPS turbo IP/stage 1 sticks,Dynomax 4" exhaust,Gear vendors, 24000 trans cooler, Snow performance water/methanol,
Johnnybgood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #18 (permalink)

re: "You can go here Deep Cycle Battery FAQ and get a lot of good information." -- that is a good resource and also a good example of why you need to read information presented on the web very carefully.

For instance, that NAWS FAQ tells you that the 'deep cycle thick plates' idea is a myth if you actually consider the numbers it provides for plate thickness (as contrasted to its also repeating the myth anyway!). The description of battery life is also interesting as it provides some indication of the lack of precision in this measure with such factors as voltage or brand being near meaningless. There is also an RV battery page on that site that is very good.

Upping the voltage a bit is one way to push a bit more power through the starting circuit. That can be handy for the cylinder heaters, too. Care is needed to avoid too much for too long.

It is interesting that the 'deep cycle battery' thing keeps going oblivious the idea that there is no objective measure for it or specification that can be used to delineate it. This phenomena well illustrates that empirical reasoning often succumbs to myth and emotion. caveat emptor.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

I bought 85 diesel in 1992 with Delco marine rv continous use deep cycle batteries ,after 12yrs i decided to replace even though they were still good,i bought 92 and went with same batteries.
mazama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 12:42 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Optima red top is rated 800CCA at zero degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
Red Top is not a deep cycle, Optima Yellow tops are starting deep cycles with the Blue tops being Marine/RV deep cycle.

Y'all can go back a forth with "facts" all you want.

I'll tell you from first hand experience. Years back when I knew I need to get away from water cell batteries, I called Optima to find out which batteries to run in my '96 diesel and was told that their Yellow tops were the deep cycle for starting and that they were what was needed for my truck. I ran them the first time around, then after that and talking with several Optima enthusiast I went to the Red tops and have been running them ever since.

The Red tops actually last as long as the Yellow tops in a diesel.

It's not a matter of deep cycle or not, it's a matter of QUALITY batteries.

I may have to check into the Delcos though.

Sold 1996 GMC 2500HD Ex Cab 6.5 TD w/ 343k+ miles, 3000lb adjustable overload springs, Ultimate sprayed bedliner (bought new)
K&N air filters & Optima batts in all and Prolong in the oil & trannys

Previously owned 1994 Chevy 2500HD Ex Cab 6.5TD, put over 120k on it
Semper Fi Overcome & adapt

Last edited by been everywhere; 11-25-2012 at 12:44 AM.
been everywhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #21 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
The Red tops actually last as long as the Yellow tops in a diesel.
I would think so. I don't see the need for the Yellow tops since you're not really discharging the batteries that much because of glowplugs and starting. I had two Red tops previously and they lasted over 7 years. After 7 years they were still going strong but I felt I was pushing my luck so I replaced them.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #22 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
I see a lot of great information about batteries on this thread but some of it is at odds with what I have researched when I went through the agony of finding what I needed.
I selected a pair of 1050 cca Sears Platinum batteries for my engine starting and another pair for the DC motor over hydraulic for the aerial lift in my work truck.
These batteries are reported to be manufactured by Odyssey who uses this same technology for military vehicles. I'll drop the link and let you read for yourselves but believe these new batteries are not you fathers old Exide's.
Whole new technology, chemistry and charging requirements. I wondered why I was getting reports of deep cycle batts. failing after a year or so. Found out folks were trying to charge them with a 6 amp charger. They require a diet of >40 amps and will recharge in less than an hour.
The batts. I chose are both suitable for starting and high current deep cycle and may be combined to charge from the same alternator or charger as they are all the same.
They have thinner "pure lead" plates so there is more natural capacity.
Observation: Spiral reports are very negative unless they have made recent changes.
Do your research before you buy anything. New battery technology is coming daily.
Best of Luck,

Link for information only.
ODYSSEY Batteries - Official Manufacturer's Site
5 KW Dynamote 110/220 AC converter
125PSI Gast air compressor
600W DC/AC sine wave converter
Custom shelf workspace w/ DC / PC and 17in monitor
Custom dash brow instrument panel
Bucket seat (pass side removed for cargo space)
bucketeer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #23 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Xeonpony
Lifeline Batteries - Marine & RV Deep Cycle AGM Batteries < I'd trust thier data as they are well well knowen in the Off grid circles and the yating and comercial marine circles and the RV.
Mods: Enhanced gauge cluster; Transmission temp, rear diff temp, coolant system pressure, Vacuum pressure, Fuel pressure, Crappy tire Air horn Kit, Raycor pre filter/water sep. All LED Dash lighting, Parker LFS tranny filter, super duty tranny cooler, gerret turbo, waste gated (pending).
Xeonpony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
I selected a pair of 1050 cca Sears Platinum batteries
That's what I got in place of my Red Tops. There was a guy on here who was not just parroting internet B.S. but was actually in the trade (automotive batteries) and he gave the reasons why the Sears Platinum (Odsseys) were the best out there, even better than Red Tops according to him. They cost a fortune and if weight means quality they got to be good.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD View Post
That's what I got in place of my Red Tops. There was a guy on here who was not just parroting internet B.S. but was actually in the trade (automotive batteries) and he gave the reasons why the Sears Platinum (Odsseys) were the best out there, even better than Red Tops according to him. They cost a fortune and if weight means quality they got to be good.
What did they cost? How long had they been available?

Sold 1996 GMC 2500HD Ex Cab 6.5 TD w/ 343k+ miles, 3000lb adjustable overload springs, Ultimate sprayed bedliner (bought new)
K&N air filters & Optima batts in all and Prolong in the oil & trannys

Previously owned 1994 Chevy 2500HD Ex Cab 6.5TD, put over 120k on it
Semper Fi Overcome & adapt
been everywhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 06:53 AM   #26 (permalink)

Can't remember what they cost without hunting through a bunch of receipts. I'm sure the price is easy to find on the Sears website. Without looking, mine are about 3 years old now.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #27 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Looks like they are about $200 each, they are AGM.
Stealth Monitor

Last edited by GoldwingElf; 11-27-2012 at 08:46 AM.
GoldwingElf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #28 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
wally world has 850s real cheap that start just fine... and have a great warranty. just sayin'
drinkypoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.