difference between radiators? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2008, 08:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
difference between radiators?

hey all,
I was just wondering if there is any difference between a radiator from an auto to a manual IDI? I know that most of the time on gas vehicle ther is a difference due to the cooling capacity needing to be higher for the auto's etc... but i don't see any difference in the IDI radiators at all. I need to know because I have an auto that had catastrophic trans failure (lots fo metal) and I know that there is no sure way to flush it all out of the radiator cooler. So I was thinking about taking the radiator out of my manual parts truck and using it (no trans particles in it). I can see the capped hookup for the inlet and outlet lines for the trans so I can't see why it wouldn't work. Just want to know before I go the the trouble of swapping them. Thanks
coletrain777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2008, 08:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

I just bought a new radiator for my manual idi truck and it had the same capped auto trans fittings. I believe it would work for an auto trans just as long the cooling coil is installed in the radiator.
macmaniac1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2008, 10:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
Due to catastrophic failure the aux (air) cooler should be replaced. Usually a Magnafine filter is installed in the line to the Trans from the new aux cooler...... (required for warranty if a rebuilt Ford trans). I believe the lower rad can be cleaned sufficiently if you remove the line nipples to allow more cleaning fluid and air....... check with a rad shop or trans shop.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2008, 07:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

I don't have an aux cooler on my truck, just the radiator and condensor up front. I am not sure why though, did all 7.3 idi with e4od's come with an aux cooler? If so, I wonder why I don't have one?
coletrain777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

No.. The stock cooling system for the idi E4OD was only the lower radiater tank. If you look at the lower tank you will see a small hose that "Tees" off the heater return line to the water pump. That needs to be done away with. That fitting at the bottom tank is only about 1/8 port drilled in it. All it does is warm up the lower tank so the trans warms up faster. Another Ford better idea blunder in my oppinion.
89 7.3 crewcab w/ Banks Sidewinder Wastegated Turbo. 4 inch straight piped. BTS E4OD trans with 2 extra gallons of ATF in a Mag Hy-Tec pan. Gear Vendors. Rodney Red custom aluminum radiator. Moose Pump with "G' injectors. Motor rebuilt with new after market ported heads. Mahle low comp pistons milled 12 thousands. Balanced to 1/4 to 1/3 gram. Lined bored. Block decked and sleeved on all 8. Shimed oil pump for higher pressure. Intake and exhaust logs ported too. Hypermax in shop waiting to be installed later....
icanfixall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.