door handles breaking - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
door handles breaking

I broke 3 door handles on the inside of my truck, has anyone else had this problem?
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Same here. In my case I believe the problem stems from a sticky latch of sorts. Haven't delved into it yet but I think the worn hinge bushings (since been replaced) caused some abnormal wear.
'94.5, 5spd, 204k miles, Swamps Babies-tunes-IDM, Adrenaline HPOP & late IPR, IH Waterpump, S&B airbox, 3" DP & 4" Magnaflow exhaust, IH bellowed up-pipes, WW2, non-EBPV ped, Beans fuel, 6.0L Intercooler & Banks pipes, CCV Mod, ZF5 S547 & SB OFE, 3.55's & Truetrac diff, rear discs, Bilstiens, Redhead SB & Borgeson intermediate, A proud Texan 2WD XL!
preith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 11:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

I made one interior handle out of steel round stock and 1/16 inch flat plate today. I bet this one doesn't break.
Attached Thumbnails
door handles breaking-2013-01-17-door-handle-1.jpg   door handles breaking-2013-01-17-door-handle-2.jpg  

Last edited by doob51; 01-17-2013 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Added pics
doob51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

take off the door panel and PB blast all the moving parts. be sparing though don't want that oil everywhere. this worked for me. I also had a cracked piece that holds the latch together from yanking the handle.
73f1004x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
My 89 had the plastic handles and the cable/latch was gunky so the handles broke. I douched the mechanism off and got metal replacements from the HELP! display at NAPA. No more problems.

Retired UHaul Box Van, now a Flatbed-In-Progress
drcliff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.