The Diesel Stop banner

E40D issues,code 67 and 97 any help appreciated!

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  gab16 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I have a 1990 E350 short bus with the 7.3 idi and a e40d transmission. When I fire her up and start to go the transmission feels like it's in 3rd or 4th gear when in drive and won't kick down no matter how far I press the pedal. It will manually shift to reverse and 2nd but won't go all the way down to 1st. Also, the "od off" overdrive lockout button will not illuminate when I press it. Then, the trans warms up after a little bit of driving and the "od off" light gets stuck on and it starts shifting fine and although the light is on, the 4th gear (overdrive) works properly. I have some torque converter slippage I believe as well, but trans shifts well when working right. I pulled the codes and I got a code 67 and a 97. I understand the code 67 being the MLPS but it doesn't start in other gears and my backup beep works in reverse. The code 97 is an odd one I have not seen anything in the forums about, E4OD OD cancel light circuit failure. I guess my question would be has anyone experienced similar symptoms or had a code 97 before? Also, where does the wiring from my "OD off" button go to? Would a faulty "OD off" button circuit cause the intermittent shifting problems? Thanks in advance! Fred

#2 · (Edited)
A problem with the OD OFF wiring won't cause your problem. I think you have a problem with the relay that powers the computer. If the computer isn't powered it will do exactly what your trans is doing. I don't know where that relay is, but it is under the hood.

Have you tried reading the codes when it won't downshift? If I'm right you won't get any response when you try to get codes when it won't shift.

#3 ·
I haven't gotten the chance to test it when it isn't working, it's definitely intermittent and random when it wants to work or not. So a relay could definitely be the culprit. I have read about the infamous 2nd 4th and reverse only from the trans computer not getting power or malfunctioning. Is this considered "limp mode" or does it just operate like this since 1st and 3rd are electronically controlled? Thanks!

#5 ·
Is this considered "limp mode" or does it just operate like this since 1st and 3rd are electronically controlled? Thanks!
All gears are electronically controlled. The capability to operate in second and fourth were designed in to have some limited capability if the electronics fail.

#4 ·
The TECA relay is under the hood next to the firewall on the drivers side. There may be two of them if the truck has the trailer tow Pkg.

#6 ·
Hi guys, thanks for the help. I switched the teca relay and it is still having the same issue where it starts with the OD light off and unresponsive. It only allows 2nd, 4th and reverse. I understand that this is a symptom of no power to the teca (transmission computer). It warms up and works fine though. I haven't been able to run the transmission code check when it is acting up yet, but will check it when it malfunctions again and see if it has any power. I am pretty sure I replaced the right relay. It was a large square 4 pin that mounted in a little black box on the fender right next to the eec test plug. Assuming I replaced the proper one, do you have any suggestions on what would make the teca computer cut on and off? It usually happens right when I start her up, and it doesn't have to drive to start working right, it can sit there idling and it will eventually work. Also, my headlights are pretty dim, interior lights seem OK but I am wondering if my alternator is going, it sat for years before I got it. The batteries have a good charge though, could a low voltage on the alternator cause this? Thanks again for any help!

#7 ·
> The batteries have a good charge though, could a low voltage on the alternator cause this?

What is the voltage across the + and - terminals of the battery before you turn the ignition on?

It is easy to determine if the alternator is your problem. When the engine is running it should be applying a charging voltage to the batteries. 1) check the battery voltage before turning stuff on. 2) start the engine. 3) a high idle is good, now check the voltage across the battery terminals again. It should rise from about 12.6v before you start the engine, to 13+ volts after. If the voltage doesn't rise that far after a few minutes then you need to figger out what is not working.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.