E4od no lockup - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2008, 10:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
joh

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
E4od no lockup

My lockup suddenly stopped working.I have now tried to put on a switch on the TCC wire and the solenoid is working great.(I can hear clicking).But when I drive there happens nothing when I engange it.Computer is throwing code 62.I have now driven about 100miles with the od light flashing,and the rest of the gears seems to be ok.Is it possible that I have blown the oring in the converter?Have anyone had anything like this?
joh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
It could also be a stuck valve. The solenoid doesn't feed the torque converter directly, it controls a valve in the valve body that feeds the torque converter. If that valve sticks you'll have this problem. I think it is more likely than the seal ring, which is also a possibility.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2008, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
For a code 62 I would first advise checking all connection to the trans........

Check all the trans electrical connections especially the one on the right side with the tin cover, remove the tin heat shield, remove the solenoid connector by pushing on the center tab and pulling up on the wire harness. To install push down until a click is heard. Always reinstall the tin heat shield.
Your looking for corroded, bent or missing pins and water etc.......

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2008, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
You may also have a bad trans oil temp sensor. This sensor prevents lock-up under a certain transmission oil temperature to prevent premature converter clutch wear. This sensor is located in the the valvebody. But like Cdnsarguy says, check the connections first. They are usually the root of the problem.
1990 F-350 XLT Lariat CrewCab 4X4, 7.3L NA IDI, E40D, 3.55, Rebuilt injection pump and injectors, Manually controlled TC, Fleetguard DC4A, 277,000 Kms, Two tone brown. Completely stock. 9200# GVWR. ***In the works of being converted to a ZF-5 with Luk Clutch/ Single mass flywheel conversion***
1986 F-250 supercab 4X2, 6.9l, T-19B 4spd, 3.55LS,8800# GVWR 200,000 kms.
1983 F-250 supercab 4X2, 4.9l, T-18 4spd, 4.10, dad bought it new, dark teal metalic, 317,000 Kms drivetrain all original. 8800# GVWR.
2005 E-150 XL, 7 passenger, 4.6l v8, 3.55 LS, Navy Blue. 44,000 kms.
FraserScott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2008, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
joh

All wiring is ok.When engine is not running and ignition is on I can hear the solinoid click when I engage it with the manual switch,but when i drive there are no lockup when I trigger the switch.I still get code 62 even if the lockup wire is disconnected but I think this is because the computer belives that the TCC is engaged.I am ofcourse geting code (94) on the disconnected TCC wire.I belive that there are pressure loss somewhere
Thank you for answers
Old 01-22-2008, 12:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

There is a plug on the drivers side 6" forward of the shift lever on the bottom just above the pan for pressure checks, I think it's 1/8th pipe plug. In park you should have 55 - 65 PSI 379 - 448 KPA. With wheel jacked up and in drive, rev engine up with brake on pressure should increase to around 130+ psi, at least it should increase. Check the blue wire on the tranny for ground -- should be 20 - 30 ohms resistance. TOT check-- Warm fluid 21-40 C or 59 104 F resistance should be 16 to 37K as temp goes up resistance goes down. Check is across both yellow wires. If your fluid is high it might be foaming, causing low pressure. As others have said, could be sticky valves, found sticky valves in my tranny for about the same problem as you are having.
99.5 F350 XLT Lariat 4X4 4R100 4.10 DW CC LB Centurion conversion Garret Turbo, Radio SD &Tape, SP Performance 40-60-80 chip, 100 Gal.Transfer Flow W/Trimax Control Aux. fuel tank. ScanGaugeII, Boost, EGT, Trans. Temp. Oil Temp. Build date 03/99

92 F350 7.3 IDIT E4OD CC LB dually Banks turbo US Gear O/U

Have AutoEnginuity W/Ford enhanced. Lima OH area.

My mind works lightening fast.
One Flash and it's gone forever.
Bill1013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2008, 03:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
joh

Did check the pressure today and it looked good.The only thing I noticed was that there were difference in the pressure.1 and reverse did have higher pressure at idle than 2 and Drive.other than that it seemd ok.Where are the valves located?
Old 01-24-2008, 03:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Just something to eliminate, make sure you don't have a burnt out tail light/ brake light. Normally it will only unlock the converter if your lights are on and you apply the brakes but I've seen stranger. Les

formerly known as; pullmyfinger

http://community.webshots.com/user/pullmyfinger76
ltaylor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2008, 03:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Where are the valves located?
you have to remove the pan and they are located in the valve body. which would be the next item you could remove from inside the tranny( besides the filter)

formerly known as; pullmyfinger

http://community.webshots.com/user/pullmyfinger76
ltaylor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2008, 05:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

If you are going to work on the valves , it's a very messy job. But here's how.

Put truck on hoist if available, if not, jack it up high as possible (front & rear) support it well on (jack stands)or blocking. Put plenty of cardboard under truck.

Drain the fluid, drain plug, great, no plug, remove all pan bolts except 2 in front and 2 in rear, have large enough container to catch fluid, (40 gallon storage container works), loosen front 2 bolts 1/4" to 3/8" some fluid will drain, carefully loosen rear 2 until fluid starts to drain, you will catch on how. Remove pan & filter. Let drain for a couple hours.

Remove control body assembly, 14 bolts 8mm socket, 2 nuts 10 mm socket. More fluid draining, down your arms.

See if any valve is stuck out of position. With very small screw driver or pick you can move the pistons to see if they are free, move both directions. Click image to open and print out. At least this will show what valves are what. Above all make sure you keep everything CLEAN.

99.5 F350 XLT Lariat 4X4 4R100 4.10 DW CC LB Centurion conversion Garret Turbo, Radio SD &Tape, SP Performance 40-60-80 chip, 100 Gal.Transfer Flow W/Trimax Control Aux. fuel tank. ScanGaugeII, Boost, EGT, Trans. Temp. Oil Temp. Build date 03/99

92 F350 7.3 IDIT E4OD CC LB dually Banks turbo US Gear O/U

Have AutoEnginuity W/Ford enhanced. Lima OH area.

My mind works lightening fast.
One Flash and it's gone forever.

Last edited by Bill1013; 01-24-2008 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Clean
Bill1013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2008, 11:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
joh

No sticky valve,only a broken spring in the intermediate clutch accumulator.Now I am going to cut open the TC,because I found some black material in the filter that I belive must come frome the TCC.I have a old one that i did open to check how the TCC works and the friction material looked just like what I found in the filter.
Thanks for great help.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

Solenoid body torque specs are......9-11 newton meters or 80-100 INCH LBS (NOT foot lbs)

There are 12 INCH pounds to 1 FOOT LB...... 80-100 inch lbs = about 8 foot lbs max.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
joh

It looks like it was the torque converter that was the problem.I changed it and my lockup came back.I just wonders why the lockup went from fully working and no slipping and next minute it was gone.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

So to change the TC you would have to remove the trans right....... may have only been a bad electrical connection somewhere. Check the brake light switch on the pedal too, there have been reports of a bad switch flickering on the brake lights which will unlock a TC every time..

Old 01-31-2008, 04:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
joh

There were no bad connection.I cut the TC open today and found a big bit of the lockup clutch material were gone and there also were a broken bolt (its really not a bolt but its hammerd on both side dont know what you call it).I gues this broken bolt have messed up the clutch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.