The Diesel Stop banner

E4OD Swap question '95 to '93

5K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Michael55 
#1 ·
Hi all...
I've done a fare amount of searching and can't find a solid answer.
I've had a 93 F250 for years now. And for the last 5 years or so I've been driving it (as a second vehicle, so limited miles) with a bad transmission. it works.. but it's weak. if I push it too hard I can smell the trans fluid.
I even posted about my problem back when it happened. my fuse blew for the fuel heater which also knocked out the engine RPM gauge and TCM.
I literally pulled every fuse in the truck accept the one that was blown because I couldn't get it out at the time and I'm a little too short to see that one particular fuse element with the adjacent one pulled. I was finally able to locate the responsible fuse after some help from you guys (yup.. the one I couldn't check was blown)...
it was too late though. I already ruined the trans.
fast forward to today---------
So the trans still works, but I need to pull a trailer in a few weeks and finally have the option to put another trans in. I'm certain this one won't make it.
Recently I bought a '95 F350 crew cap Power Stroke with a bad engine. Trans is good according to the receipt, and the general appearance looks like a fresh one. fluid is very clean too.
I trust the seller because he was pretty up front with the engine description. looks like I'll be over hauling it.
My "QUESTION" is this; will the '95 PSD trans be a plug and play swap into the '93 idi?
that is; since the idi has no computer, the trans will be shifting based on different information. Do the transmissions care? or does the 95 need a 95 TCM?
thanks in advance for any help...!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
It won't care.

There are a couple things you'll need to be aware of. If I remember correctly, and it's been over 20 years, the Powerstroke has 6 studs on the converter and the IDI had four. I wouldn't put the old converter on the trans going in, that could cause it to fail. The TRS on the driver's side of the trans may be different. If so, use the one from the old trans.

#3 ·
thank you for your advice..!!
it's a great point about the flywheel. I hadn't checked that. but I did plan on using the converter from the '95. so I guess I'll be pulling the flywheel off tonight.
Regarding the TRS; I'm not familiar with this part yet, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the position of the gear selector lever on the column. if so it may be why I have a problem with my '93. I have to really slam it into park to be able to start the truck again. just a minor nuisance... until I break something else.
i'll check to make sure the TRSs both match.

thanks again..!!!
daron

#4 ·
Well, looks like it's not going to be as easy as I'd hoped. Since the '95 converter has 6 bolts and the '93 has 4, I planed on using the flex plate. Problem is the crank shaft flange on the power stroke has 10 bolts and the idi has 9 (according to some information found on another site).

So I'll be looking for a new converter. Any suggestions on a good brand for the money will be appreciated.

On top of that, I also learned that I need to change the solenoid pack.
Eventually, I plan on rebuilding the idi's e4od, but that project needs to get wrapped in with a few other projects i have going.
I can't have the '93 down for more than a weekend. I'm still hoping to use the power stroke's trans to keep the idi alive while i restore the power stroke (it's a crew cab).
I may be completely off my rocker, but I'm thinking I can use some of the new parts that I'll need when I rebuild the idi trans. I'm sure most that read this will say 'just rebuild the idi trans and forget about the power stroke trans'.
The answer to that is; it'll take me too long to dismantle everything and clean it. I rebuilt an a4ld out of my bronco II some time back.
Is there a good check list of parts that I'll need to convert the '95 trans to work in the '93?

#5 ·
Yes, there is. You'll need the torque converter and probably the TRS. That's the sensor on the driver's side of the trans where the shift cable attaches. The solenoid body in the '95 will work in the '93.

#6 ·
I was also told that the coast clutch or overdrive (can’t remember which one; I had 4 people giving advice at the same time…) on the power stroke receives a PWM signal and the idi counterpart gets an on/off signal. In either case, the concern was that the on/off signal might (not definite) cause the part looking for a PWM signal to burn out.

I understand a PWM signal at 100% would for the most part look like an on/off signal (in the ON state). However, since it’s a PWM signal, I would expect it to be 5vdc instead of 12vdc.

Back to the solenoid pack; I’m not familiar enough with this part’s function to understand the difference. I would tend to the solenoid pack for the ’95 working in the ’93 e4od. Can you please explain the function and or difference?

My background leads me to believe its function would be electro-mechanical interface for the selected gear. But I’m told there’s a different number of solenoids. If that’s the case, what is the additional solenoid for…

#7 ·
I was also told that the coast clutch or overdrive (can’t remember which one; I had 4 people giving advice at the same time…)
It's the torque converter clutch.

on the power stroke receives a PWM signal and the idi counterpart gets an on/off signal. In either case, the concern was that the on/off signal might (not definite) cause the part looking for a PWM signal to burn out.
The switch from on/off to PWM occurred in 1999. The '95 and '93 are both on/off

I would tend to the solenoid pack for the ’95 working in the ’93 e4od. Can you please explain the function and or difference?
The solenoid pack includes the solenoids that control the transmission. There is an electrical difference between the '95 and '93. In '95 the diodes that protect the circuits were moved from the PCM (the computer) to the solenoid body. So if you put the '95 solenoid body in a '93 truck you'll have double diodes, but with the same polarity. It will give you one layer of redundancy that the original didn't have. But also for this reason you can't use the '93 solenoid body in a '95 truck.

But I’m told there’s a different number of solenoids. If that’s the case, what is the additional solenoid for…
You may have been told that, but it was from someone that didn't know what they were talking about. Both solenoid packs have the same solenoids, the diodes are the only difference.

#8 ·
Another twist

My situation is similar, but different.... I have a '94 E350 with E4OD. Having transmission problems (seems to slip when warm). Eventually I'll probably rebuild the unit but I have a low mileage E4OD out of a '97 E250, which happens to be missing the solenoid pack. From what I am reading, it appears that if the solenoid pack from the '94 will fit in the '97 unit, I should be ok using that combination as far as the diode issue goes. I plan to test the solenoids to make sure they work. Do you see any issues with this plan?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.