e4od transmission problems - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
e4od transmission problems

hello,
this is my first post so sorry if im int he wrong place. i recently got a 1992 ford f250 7.3L idi with the auto e4od tranny. the transmission is toast, so on searching craigslist i found one out of a 1995 powerstroke pretty cheap. my question is will this one work in my truck? im not sure if it being out of a powerstroke makes it any different.
1992f250idi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2010, 06:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)
Wouldn't quite be a direct swap to a non-turbo, the ecm would be different if nothing else.

The most straight across swap would be from, I think they start in 88 or 89 and go up to 94. A truck with an IDI non-turbo will be the easiest if yours is a non-turbo for sure. Also seems like I've read they are stronger starting in 93 or 94.

You could do a C6 if money is tight and you want less problems in the future and are willing to give up the overdrive. You would however have to add the VRV to the IP and a couple of vacuum lines down to the tranny but I'm sure that could all be had at a Pick and Pull or something.
Plywood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 06:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Should be a bolt in but you'll need to change the connectors on your harness. Both the solenoid pack and MLPS connector will be different. I think the '92 had the electronic speedo. The newer trans don't have the drive gear for a cable driven speedo and VSS sensor. Check to see if yours has a cable for the speedo, driver's side tailhousing. If it doesn't then you're in luck there. I have a '99 trans in Michigan, from the pictures my brother sent me everything will bolt up to mine. I currently have a '94 rebuilt trans in my van. I had to change the connectors and wire up a speedo from a '93 van then tap the rear axle VSS signal to send to the PCM. You should be able to use your current TCM.
1986 F350 Crew Cab 2wd SRW. 1991 7.3 IDI, T-19 4spd Sterling 10.25 4.10 rear, kingpin D60 4.10 front, 12" HD clutch. A Banks waste gated turbo. Midwest rebuilt IP turned up. AC Delco 6.5 GM 12V GP's, working great. Running W80-W85 high performance zero-gel black diesel! 4wd and dually conversion is done. Washer mod on the D60 kingpins eliminated the death wobble. Custom 10" C-channel front bumper with military D-rings front and rear. Pintle hitch, receiver hitch, and goose neck hitch. 7800lbs full of fuel....
rsr911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 08:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
Give us a hint as to what your problems are........... have you got any code numbers yet.

Codes are on my photo link....... autozone and other AP stores will check your codes....

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

make sure when you pull the codes you do it with the throttle to the floor, otherwise you will get the code for TPS out of range

I'm gonna sign my name in that diesel smoke and let the ones that come along behind me choke!
johnboggs21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 10:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsr911 View Post
You should be able to use your current TCM.
I guess I said ECM instead of TCM but since you have to change it to go from N/A to turbo, I'm pretty sure a powerstroke TCM would be different than an IDI non-turbo if it really is a non-turbo. Seems like a DI TCM would be different than an IDI TCM due to power differences and such but not sure about that.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plywood View Post
I guess I said ECM instead of TCM but since you have to change it to go from N/A to turbo, I'm pretty sure a powerstroke TCM would be different than an IDI non-turbo if it really is a non-turbo. Seems like a DI TCM would be different than an IDI TCM due to power differences and such but not sure about that.

On the IDI the TCM only controls the transmission. The sensors on the engine are only to provide input to the transmission control module (TCM). At worst case he would have to swap the solenoid pack out of the current truck into the new trans. I don't know what year but at some point some diodes were moved either to or from the TCM that were on the solenoid pack or the other way around. If the current trans is mechanically toast then the simplest option is to swap solenoid packs and the MLPS that way the harness wouldn't need changed.

I'm sure Mark will chime in at some point and correct me if I'm wrong.

The '99 trans I have in Michigan has the driveline parking brake which means it has the correct tail housing for 4x4 should my plans to install my motor into an older crewcab 4x4 ever come through. Anyway I had my brother who has that trans take a ton of pictures for me so I could compare to my burnt up trans and sure enough it looked like the plugs on my '94 trans. The bell housing bolt pattern and shape looked the same as well.

His '92 should have the electronic speedo which makes that part a non-issue.
1986 F350 Crew Cab 2wd SRW. 1991 7.3 IDI, T-19 4spd Sterling 10.25 4.10 rear, kingpin D60 4.10 front, 12" HD clutch. A Banks waste gated turbo. Midwest rebuilt IP turned up. AC Delco 6.5 GM 12V GP's, working great. Running W80-W85 high performance zero-gel black diesel! 4wd and dually conversion is done. Washer mod on the D60 kingpins eliminated the death wobble. Custom 10" C-channel front bumper with military D-rings front and rear. Pintle hitch, receiver hitch, and goose neck hitch. 7800lbs full of fuel....
Old 02-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

ok so it will fit but i may or may not have to change the connectors? also, if i were to do a c6 swap what c6 would fit, im looking on ebay and the only ones i see are small block or big block gas jobs nothing for the 7.3 diesel.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

im pretty sure an C6 will work but you need the diesel bellhousing.

I'm gonna sign my name in that diesel smoke and let the ones that come along behind me choke!
Old 02-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

C6's have an integral bellhousing, you would need a diesel specific one. You would also give up OD. The E4OD is a good trans if the sensors are maintained and codes scanned in my opinion.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

you can get a gearvendors unit if you want your OD back. Or you can run a brownie box behind the tranny

Old 02-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

It's been reported you can use a C6 from a 460ci truck, but that you have to drill a hole or two and that it is a pita.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1992f250idi View Post
hello,
this is my first post so sorry if im int he wrong place. i recently got a 1992 ford f250 7.3L idi with the auto e4od tranny. the transmission is toast, so on searching craigslist i found one out of a 1995 powerstroke pretty cheap. my question is will this one work in my truck? im not sure if it being out of a powerstroke makes it any different.
put in your avatar where your from--------someone might be close to u with a good used one----
94 f250 idi turbo sc e4od alum fac rims 149,289 --dana 60 frt with posi--10.25 rear w/posi--shouldnt get stuck!! ats turbo 3" parts on--what a diff from stock turbo!!!!!--- also 96 F250 with 305,000 is fixed!!-- 7.3 rattler-also 85 6.9-needs new engine!! tired!!
94_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 05:15 AM   #14 (permalink)

i think im going to keep my e4od, i want the truck on the road asap so its easier to keep it as is. i read somewhere that if your truck wont move in 1st but will if you put the lever in 2 it could be your solenoid pack is that true? also, im in the northwest corner of CT
Old 02-25-2010, 07:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

does anyone know what it means if i have movement in 2 but not in 1 or drive? if i start and two then upshift to drive it will shift into 3rd fine but then i dont have overdrive. does this mean my transmission is mechanically toast or could it be something easy like the mlps or solenoid pack?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.