Easiest way to find TDC - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to robster1602
Easiest way to find TDC

Ok, I screwed up when I pulled my IP off and didn't replace the drive gear in the exact position I pulled it off at. Now I need to find TDC so I may replace the drive gear in the proper position. I couldn't get the IP out without removing the gear housing so....I have to get it back to the right position but can not see the timing mark on the top of the camshaft gear. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Robert
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 10:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
this thread might help:

I need help ASAP!

More info here:

"Talk about Timing!!"

I have the tools and the time so I would take the fromt cover off and KNOW it's set right, but that's just me.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 10:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
Talk about timing .....will give you what you need to fix the problem........ click on the BLUE words and pictures show up......

No need to remove the front cover if all you did was remove the gear housing with the IP.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2011, 01:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to robster1602
Ok. I goofed up and unintentionally hijacked another post with my problem. Apologies are necessary. Won't happen again.

Thanks for all the input. Call me stupid if you want but, I am still struggling with the marks on the plate in relationship with the dampener. How many revolutions does the crank make per stroke? Or, When the marks are in alignment does that always indicate TDC. I guess it's the question of compression stroke or exhaust, right.

Thanks again for all the help and sorry again for stepping into someone else's post.

Rob
Old 05-25-2011, 07:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robster1602 View Post
I am still struggling with the marks on the plate in relationship with the dampener. How many revolutions does the crank make per stroke? Or, When the marks are in alignment does that always indicate TDC. I guess it's the question of compression stroke or exhaust, right.
The camshaft turns at half the speed of the crankshaft, so there are two crankshaft revolutions per cycle. Although the #1 piston is at the top of its stroke every time the crankshaft marks are in alignment, the boundary between the compression and power strokes (TDC) only occurs every other crankshaft rotation. That's why you need the marks on the camshaft. If you've got a few extra minutes to read it, Wikipedia provides a good explanation of the four-stroke cycle.
7.3 IDI, C6, 10.25" 3:55, dump bed.

Mods: Gear Vendors overdrive, ATS 085/088
"Frankenturbo", boost and EGT gauges in pod,
K&N air filter, cold air intake, filter minder, rear
work lights, 'monback beeper, pintle+ball hitch,
brake controller, CB.

Wish list: 130 amp G3 alternator, front hitch,
new hood, fresh paint.
standbypowerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.