Electric battery "idiot" light flickering - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2006, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Electric battery "idiot" light flickering

The idiot light that looks like a battery is flickering on/off. The volt gauage shows good voltage. RPM doesn't seem to effect it. Batteries always have good charge. The alternator was replaced with a brand spanking new one about 18 months ago. Problem is getting worse. I suspect the voltage regulator.

Oh wise ones, what is your verdict?
1989 Ford F250XLT Lariat extended cab 4x4 w/ N/A 7.3L, C6, 120k miles, & FlexSteel seats. Stock right now, but have a used non-wastegated Banks Turbo sitting in the garage (trying to find the time to collect the parts and install it) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img].

03/06 - Auto-RX done. Filter looked normal.
04/06 - Installed 100gal in bed tank for WVO.
11/06 - New rotors & pads
biosdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2006, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Re: Electric battery "idiot" light flickering

You read my mind....I would check that voltage regulator...Do you notice any thing feeling amiss in the brake system.

-Casey
1997 F-250HD SuperCab●4x4●ZF-5●4.10●Tymar Intake●Wildman 6 Pos. Chip●SD Intercooler●17* HPOP●4 Straight Pipe w/5 Silverline Tip●3-Pillar Zeries Gauges (Pyro/Boost/Oil Temp)●3.5" RSK/D60/SD Springs●Ride Rite Rear Bags●Bilstein 5100 Shocks●315/75/R16 BFG A/T●Pro Comp XTreme Wheels --- SOLD 01/2011

2009 F-250 FX4 - Diesel - Crew Cab/Long Bed - 4" Pure Performance X-Factor Lift - 325/60/20 Goodyear Duratracs on Stock 20's
PSDfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2006, 11:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have a problem with the connector at the alternator. it isnt very tight, replaced it and no better. my light blinks once in a while but I think it is that, but dont listen to me, I replace my alt/reg every 6 months. no shorting anywhere, but I have a lifetime warrebty on the alt from checkers, could be the reason it goes out every 6 months, they got junk alt's.
in2fords is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2006, 11:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Only thing wrong with the brakes is that they need to be rebuilt! I'll go invest the ~$15 in a new regulator and see if that fixes it.
1989 Ford F250XLT Lariat extended cab 4x4 w/ N/A 7.3L, C6, 120k miles, & FlexSteel seats. Stock right now, but have a used non-wastegated Banks Turbo sitting in the garage (trying to find the time to collect the parts and install it) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img].

03/06 - Auto-RX done. Filter looked normal.
04/06 - Installed 100gal in bed tank for WVO.
11/06 - New rotors & pads
biosdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2006, 11:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

I had the problem awhile back, and the only thing that resolved it was replacing the headlight switch and pigtail, which were melted.

New VR didn't solve the problem in my case.

Mike
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2006, 06:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

There's a connector on the side of the alt with 2 wires, one of them provides the signal for the battery idiot light. Mine came loose a while back and I had the same symptom. I replaced the connectors and no more problem [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2006, 10:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Interesting, mine has done it since I put in a 100 amp alt. Thought it confused the old VR.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Alternator light is controlled by the white/black wire which plugs into the end frame of alternator, also known as the stator lead. If light is on and charging voltage is normal, then this wire is the culprit. That circuit is the same since the 1960s.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
You read my mind....I would check that voltage regulator...Do you notice any thing feeling amiss in the brake system.

-Casey

[/ QUOTE ]

What would the brakes have to do with the battery light flickering? Hope that question isn't stupid.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

vacuum pump...when that pump goes bad the brake pedal is hard as a rock...

-Casey
1997 F-250HD SuperCab●4x4●ZF-5●4.10●Tymar Intake●Wildman 6 Pos. Chip●SD Intercooler●17* HPOP●4 Straight Pipe w/5 Silverline Tip●3-Pillar Zeries Gauges (Pyro/Boost/Oil Temp)●3.5" RSK/D60/SD Springs●Ride Rite Rear Bags●Bilstein 5100 Shocks●315/75/R16 BFG A/T●Pro Comp XTreme Wheels --- SOLD 01/2011

2009 F-250 FX4 - Diesel - Crew Cab/Long Bed - 4" Pure Performance X-Factor Lift - 325/60/20 Goodyear Duratracs on Stock 20's
PSDfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.