electrical draw in 89 F-250 7.3L IDI - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2007, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
electrical draw in 89 F-250 7.3L IDI

so, i'm having a problem with the batteries draining on my truck.

the alternator and batteries have been tested (and one battery replaced) and they have been pretty much eliminated as the cause for the problem..

now, i'm not leaving anything on, or the key turned in the ignition or anything. all i can think of is some mysterious little draw somewhere. the only thing we've come up with as a possible culprit is the battery gauge, which doesn't work. i don't know if this could even be draining the batteries down, or not.

any ideas would be great. thanks!
dieseldirt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2007, 11:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: electrical draw in 89 F-250 7.3L IDI

Ya know..

I had the same exact thing. My lock cylinder sucked too. I have a switch to toggle on and off my FIS and timing advance for cold starts. I turn it on briefly sometimes when i start it to hear the louder diesel sound. I left it on a few times and thought this was the culprit. I still dont know for sure, but after i changed the ignition cylinder it quit killing the batteries.

Just my two-hundreths of a dollar, and probably wont help much. Do you have any non-stock attachments you made yourself? A shorted wire somewhere? (I know, theres a lot of them.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

Does the '89 still have the separate voltage regulator on the inner fenderwell on the passenger side? If so, I would change this, it's a cheap item.

Otherwise, the best way I know to locate small amp draws is to disconnect both positive battery cables, and hook up a digital multimeter between the positive battery terminal and the positive battery cable. Be sure your ignition is off when you do this, you definitely don't want to try to feed your glowplugs through your meter, it will burn the meter up for sure. Set the meter to DC amps, and it should show some current flowing. You then start pulling fuses out of the fuse box, one at a time, and observe your meter to see if the draw has reduced or gone away. If all of your fuses are out and you still have draw, then start disconnecting things like the wire going to the alternator, the wires to the 3 different solenoids on the injection pump, etc etc. You are using the disconnections to isolate which system/circuit the draw is in. Once you find which system the draw is in, it'll give you a narrower place to start looking.
1986 F250 2WD Super Cab XLT Lariat w/ 1996 front clip. Dually bed & van rearend (2" wider, allows spring clearance). 6.9 w/ approx 120,000mi. Banks non-wastegated turbo system, Wellman G088 glowplugs, Delphi BB injectors, Kenworth pyrometer, vac/boost gauge, electric water temp/oil psi/voltmeter mounted in dash. 3" Mandrel-bent open exhaust. C6 trans, 3.54 gears. Okiegringo idler pulley. R134a A/C conversion. WMO/diesel blend in one tank.
arthurgoboom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2007, 01:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

The usual technique applies of tracing drain current by using an ammeter with the engine off. Start at the battery cable to the starter relay. Then at the starter relay, lift off one fuse link at a time until you find the problem.
I would also check your older battery to make sure it isn't the culprit. Twinned batteries work best when similar age so that one doesn't start to drain the other. In your case with one new battery, I would lift off one old battery cable and check for drain current between batteries.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

I had the same problem about a year ago, I also had replaced one battery, I've been told since, never to replace just one battery. The older battery sucks down the newer battery,causing a lack of starting voltage/amperage.Buy 2 new battery's
ATS billet transmission installed with the "5 star clutch system" 7/2007---LOVE IT!!!!!
Basically Stock except for 3.5"exhaust
Rotella oil since new in 1990.
http://rides.webshots.com/album/347448034IlTAPm
cloutierthedj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2007, 08:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

actually i bought two new batteries 3/07, and the one that got replaced (which i'm starting to think wasn't really the problem at all) is a 9/07, so i'm not too worried...

i've been just pulling the cables off the batteries when i'm not using the truck, but i also haven't had to hook the batteries back up on a rainy day yet, either. (parked outside)
i got both batteries charged and i've let them sit for 1-2 days, no problem. when they were hooked up they'd be drained good just overnight.

'94 F350 RC/SRW 7.3 IDI Factory Turbo 4x4 ZF5 3.55 Dana 60 (auto hubs) 10.25" Sterling + Detroit TrueTrac. 33x1250x16.5 BFG. Hypermax Cowl Intake. Factory downpipe to 4" exhaust . Visteon radiator, Group 31 batteries, South Bend Clutch/SMF, DMI Hitch, Connex 3300HP, Wilson 1000, Uniden BCT8, gun rack, Western V-Plow. 228K

'97 F350 RC/DRW 7.3 PSD 4x4 E4OD 4.10 Dana 60 (manual hubs) 10.25" Sterling. Dump Body. L-pack toolboxes. 118k

Hot Work Saws- Husqvarna 385xp x2, 372xp, 346xp, Stihl ms660

Member NRA, AHBA
dieseldirt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2007, 07:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

With everything switched off, feel for heat on the back of the alternator. You may have a shorted diode. Then I would lift off one fusible link at a time from the starter relay and see which link has a spark and measure the current draw and go from there. Radio and computer memory circuits should draw less than 1/20th of an amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.