exhaust manifold bolt broke off - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2005, 02:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
exhaust manifold bolt broke off

Hello all I have a problem. the bolt near the firewall broke off on the pass side exhaust manifold going to the block. what is the best way to get whats left out. I havent taken it apart yet. 93 f450 7.3 none turbo. thanks Dean
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2005, 05:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Re: exhaust manifold bolt broke off

Is it flush with the block or can you tell?

Either way I would hose it down with PB Blaster and keep hosing it down... This stuff does wonders to rust.

If sticking out - yank manifold and get a good grip with a pair of vice grips then pour some heat on her and grunt...

Now if flush (if you luck it like mine it's either flush or broken down inside) then whip out the easy out (it's never easy and some one need to get a hold of the guy that named 'em that) - start praying and hope you don't snap the easy out. - fingers crossed for ya
Old 05-25-2005, 06:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've busted more Easy-Outs than had them work. Like travis said if you've got something left to grab on to, Vise Grip or I prefer a 6" pipe wrench- not as likely to slip. Either way, flush or stub left, like mentioned PB Blaster and it wont hurt to use a little heat (gentle now). Good luck,

Keith
93 F350 CC Dually 7.3 Hypermax turbo 4:10 gears, ZF rower, K&N filter, home made ram-air, Hypermax 3.5" exhaust, LUK clutch, 150,000 mi.
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2005, 07:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have had manifold bolts break off from fatique and they were still loose in the hole when this happened so they were easy to remove. If you broke it trying to get it out then you may have to drill it out. Believe me you don't want to try to drill it out once you have broken an easyout off in the stud. I usually start with a small bit then gradually go to a larger bit. Usually the broken bolt will start to rotate with the drill bit before you get to a drill bit that is as big as the internal threads. Once you got it free by drilling, use an easyout to remove it. If you damage the threads getting the bolt out you can helicoil it. Most of the time a tap will clean it up. Try to make the hole as close to the center of the broken bolt fragment as you can, a center punch helps.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2005, 07:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (23)

Use a left hand drill bit with the drill in reverse if you can.
agnem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2005, 07:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)

The manifold bolts on my 93 are ""factory special"" and have a triangular raised thread to lock them in place. This makes them a little harder to install and remove, it's like a lock nut effect.

Removing them will not be easy unless the shank is exposed. Couple suggestions:
If the shank is exposed use vice grips or weld a nut to the exposed end turn it out using heat.

If the shank is flush then drilling and an easyout is about all you can do...use reverse turning drill bits.

The exhaust manitold bolts have two types now OEM and updated.
OEM came with a special washer.

The updated bolts have a different head with the washer incorporated when checked they would be the same thread length so as not to bottom out.

New bolts are... F4TZ 9S425 B about $1.75ea

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2005, 03:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

hello & thank you all for the tips. I will keep you posted dean
Old 05-30-2005, 09:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)

I have seen left handed drill bits at parts store where they have the easy outs. They might help.
Dwight
Old 05-31-2005, 12:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

a recent broken headbolt by a 6.9 poster was very informative. The thing I learned is to make sure you center the drill hole or your toast. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
Sold! 1986 F-350 XLT, Crewcab 4x4, converted to Dually, AT, Axle 39, 3.55 ratio, 7500lbs empty, aluminium wheels, K&N filter, rebuilt IP, and injectors, tach, trans oil temp gauge, chrome headers 2-1/2" exhaust to glasspacks to Magnaflow to 4" single, new headgaskets, new radiator, Mitsubishi starter, Big alternator, Big batteries, Racor R26S water seperator, Folding gooseneck hitch. 97 Taurus electric arm chair front seats, PW, PDL, using Power Service additive.

New Truck. 2005 Dodge 2wd dually, 6 speed, gets 15 mpg with 4000 lb camper and pulls any hill easily!
chumstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2005, 05:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

hey cartowing hope you got it, keep us updated if you got her and how, i like taking note of these type of things and i'm sure others do too.

--Ryan
Old 05-31-2005, 11:09 AM   #11 (permalink)

Smart! I've never heard of LH drill bits! Wish I woulda known about 'em before I drilled out broken studs before. The only thing I can offer on this is to reinforce the point made to be VERY CAREFUL about drilling in the exact center of the stud. The only way to do this is to use a center punch and make your start in the center that way. If you don't, the drill will wander and you will end up drilling off-center.

Truck 1: 1985 F350 dually 4WD 6.9 diesel crew cab auto with 83k original miles. C6 trans, 4.10 rear end. Mods are Banks Turbo, US Gear overdrive, 45gal rear tank, hydroboost brakes, additional leaf springs all around, Hellwig airbags, rear sway bar, GM glowplug controller, fuel Koalescer. 235/85 R16 Michelin XB Rib radials. 11ft.6in Vacationeer cabover camper, TorkLift tiedowns.
Truck 2: 1988 F250 7.3, C6 auto, 2WD w/3.55 limited slip rear axle, Banks Sidewinder Turbo, Gear Vendors overdrive, Utility box, hydraulic lift gate, lumber rack.
Auto: 1987 MBZ 300D Turbo 3.0 Liter 6 cylinder engine. 205K miles. Working on all the "little things" that previous owner neglected. Putting in wvo tank.
Monte1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2005, 12:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

The machine shop I work at just cut and drilled out 3 inch and 8 inch steam turbine studs. The large ones cost over $6,000.00 each and are harder than the wife when she says no to anything I want. I take it the head is still on the motor and the motor is still in the truck. Like said just try heat and the pipe wrench is the way I would go but a 3 inch may be a better choice with a cheater if needed. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
89 7.3 crewcab w/ Banks Sidewinder Wastegated Turbo. 4 inch straight piped. BTS E4OD trans with 2 extra gallons of ATF in a Mag Hy-Tec pan. Gear Vendors. Rodney Red custom aluminum radiator. Moose Pump with "G' injectors. Motor rebuilt with new after market ported heads. Mahle low comp pistons milled 12 thousands. Balanced to 1/4 to 1/3 gram. Lined bored. Block decked and sleeved on all 8. Shimed oil pump for higher pressure. Intake and exhaust logs ported too. Hypermax in shop waiting to be installed later....
icanfixall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2005, 09:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)

I saw the left handed drill bits at autozone.
You can also see the left handed drill bits on the McMaster Carr catalog http://www.mcmaster.com/ at the bottom of the page 2281.

If the broken bolt is in a hole you might try this.
Look at the McMaster-Carr catalog at the bottom of page 2130 you will see a center punch that you can put in a hole and find the center. There is a spring in the housing that centers when you push down in the hole and then center punch the place where you need to drill.
Or i have used a 3/16" drill in the center and started the hole.
It comes in 2 sizes.
You can see this at http://www.mcmaster.com/ on page 2130.
Hope this will help.
Dwight
Old 06-09-2005, 02:34 AM   #14 (permalink)

Hello every one thanks again for the great tips. after I got the manifold off it was pretty easy to drill a hole in what was left of the bolt & used an easy out to remove it. it really made my weekend when it just unscrewed easy. aloha from Hawaii Dean [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.